10 inch vs 12 inch woofers in vocal PA

MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
edited February 2020 in Live
Will 10" speakers be enough power with a full band to handle vocals and keys or are 12" just more realistic ?

Thinking RCF 310A or Turbosound Milan M10

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    I would always want subs for full-range sounds, including keys. You’ll get a much better sound with 10” tops and subs than with 12” tops only.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Agree with above, though I tend to find bands use 12" and subs or 15" tops - same goes though, smaller cone size with a sub is normally better.

If subs arnt an option though, 10" are better for vocals only, but you'll struggle with keys.  Low end Piano doesnt come though (though in fairness you'll normally want to cur those anyway to make space for bass/kick)  - but more importantly any organ sounds, and any true synth stuff will struggles with just 10" tops. 

Even 12" isnt ideal for full range keys without a sub - 15" are better for the low end - but it really depends what the keys are playing, how many in the band and what other instruments there are.  In a busy band you need to clear the keys low end as stated, so it may not be a problem.  Its more of an issue with piano and vocals - or something where the keys are the most prominent lead sound (such as boogie woogie styles, or jazz)

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I've got turbosound Milan 10s and they are simply wonderful sounding, but the built in protection will make them sound harsh if you push them beyond reasonable levels. We put 4 part vocal harmonies through them over a funk band and they sound devine. Subs would be required with keys  or drums through them.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    P.S. I know a couple of keys players that use a milan as their keyboard amps and swear by them. I also stick strummed acoustic guitar in the band pa.