Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is it about a Les Paul?

What's Hot

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I played Strats for years, then my lovely bought an Epi LP which I played for a good few years then a Gibson gold top which got played exclusively for ages. Now I'm lucky enough to just pick up what ever I feel at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I love a Les paul, that's what I've built the most but over the last few years I just want to update it so it's more comfortable with better upper fret access, this probably started when I did a LP special, it was a great guitar to play, then a DC junior was an effin beast with a dog ear p90, I think it kicked a bursts arse in drop d or with gain and so my taste might have changed a little but I'll never get rid of my goldtop 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I am fortunate (old) enough to have a number of nice guitars. I've had a les paul classic since December 2004. It's not my most versatile guitar but there's some music and sounds it just does effortlessly.

I am not a fan of prs guitars, well actually i like the look and the build quality, but think that in trying to improve on other designs they lost something. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've often wondered what it is about a Les Paul that makes it such a popular guitar.
    Can't see it myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    johnl said:
    To me a Les Paul feels like a "proper" instrument - something about the combination of top carve, set neck and, to a degree, the slight awkwardness of the design reminds me of a violin or a cello. A tele feels more like a more grown up cigar box guitar....
    Yeah there’s a bit of this in it for me as well. At the same time there’s also something really appealing about the simplicity and rough around the edges design of a tele. Expensive “nice” Fenders still always feel a bit cheap and basic to me but a nice Gibson feels like a proper instrument.
  • So I sat down last night and did a bit of back to back playing, and I still can't put my finger on it.  I suppose I'd need to have the same pickups etc in each to really compare, but I guess while the PRS resonates more, it sounds thinner, which may be part of it. Also I have been playing the Epiphone longer so I am certainly more comfortable with it.

It's also occurred to me that the PRS has (I think) 9's on it as I've not changed the strings since I've got it, but the Epiphone has 10's. 

Whatever it is, the PRS is still a fine guitar, and probably should be the one that's kept, but time will tell, because one or the other has to go!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249

Whatever it is, the PRS is still a fine guitar, and probably should be the one that's kept, but time will tell, because one or the other has to go!
    If one has to go, it’s the PRS. Never talk yourself into believing that you ‘should’ prefer the ‘better’ guitar.

Many of us have made that mistake, and it’s always a mistake.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    When I got my PRS se24 Custom last year it was up against 6 strats an Epi Les Paul (customised with a sperzals and a Holy diver) and a Gordon Smith bit it still gets it's share of play time. In fact I have grown to like more and more as time goes on.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    After my first few cheap guitars (Vox Clubman, Rosetti Airstream and Columbus LP), I finally got a brand new 55 Special back in 1972.  I kept it for about a year and then traded it on a 72 LP Custom.  Since then I've always had at least one LP.  I love them but they have issues (some of the 72's weigh a ton, my Deluxe is one of them).  My Feline Lion solves some of the issues, but I still love to play a Custom.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    ICBM said:
    Sometimes guitars just feel and sound right to you, and sometimes they don't.
    This!  The name on the headstock has nothing to do with it. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Sometimes guitars just have something about them. I had a Jackson Dinky years ago which I loved the look of: black paint, chrome hardware, reverse headstock, great pickups, really nice neck and a Floyd that worked perfectly. The longest I ever played it though was at a band practice. At home, I'd pick it up, play it for two minutes and put it down again, there was never any kind of connection.
    I was trying to explain it to a friend and he said "It's got no soul", which was probably the best way of describing it.

All of my guitars now are the opposite: I pick them up to have a quick play for a few minutes, and before I know it an hour has passed...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I've got a proper shit Epi Les Paul I made out of bits for absolutely nothing.

It sounds fucking amazing when you get up the dusty end of the neck and there is just something about it.

I'd never gig it as it won't stay in tune and most of the neck is wood-filler.

But yes, there is something about them

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Les Pauls are an ergonomic nightmare and frustrating on every level but a nice one has a particular sound that you cannot get from any other guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    sweepy said:
    Les Pauls are an ergonomic nightmare and frustrating on every level but a nice one has a particular sound that you cannot get from any other guitar 
    I think they’re the most comfortable guitar to play standing up, until you reach the 17th fret and hit the heel of course.

The forward position of the waist and weight concentrated in a small body make sitting without a strap pretty treacherous.

They do have the x factor though and are a bloody gorgeous instrument.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    TINMAN82 said:
    sweepy said:
    I think they’re the most comfortable guitar to play standing up, until you reach the 17th fret and hit the heel of course.

The forward position of the waist and weight concentrated in a small body make sitting without a strap pretty treacherous.

They do have the x factor though and are a bloody gorgeous instrument.

A Les Paul feels like a hired Tuxedo whereas a Strat feels like your favourite Jeans and Shirt  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    I’ve never found them that un-ergonomic. I do find the neck position a *tiny* bit too far to the left, and many of them do have an overly steep neck angle which makes it worse at the headstock end, but I find they balance pretty much perfectly either standing or sitting, unless they really weigh a ton - or are less than 8lbs.

The fragile headstocks put me off one for a gigging guitar though, unless it has a maple neck. Unfortunately most of the maple-neck ones also weigh a ton and usually have the ugly sharper cutaway point...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited February 2020
    Les Pauls are great. In many ways. Although the neck heel and delicate headstock join bug the shit out of me to be honest. 

Do yourself a massive favour and if you're not stuck on the name on the headstock then get yourself a Feline from Jon @FelineGuitars. Best thing I have done. 
  • I have a great one.. pick it up, play it for ten and then grab a Strat... sometimes you just have to own up to the fact that despite wanting to like something it isn't for you..
  • It's the first love that got over me, but I never got over it. So after a lengthy separation, last winter I bought my first Gibbo LP in over a decade, and it whilst we still have serious issues (small hands means encroaching up the dusty end resembles the cry of a choking feline), the heated passion is still alive and well. 
  • No other guitar I've played has the sheer balls of an LP.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ