What Camera?

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
edited February 2020 in Live
Hi!
I'm generally fed up of asking people to record us when we're playing live, and I think they're getting fed up of being asked! Plus it's always super shakey or filmed in portrait. 

Is anyone using a discrete camera, like a Go Pro, set up somewhere but a bit cheaper to record their live performances? Any recommendations? 

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I tried gopro 4 and 5 and both were rubbish audio and poor low light video. 

Currently use a 4k camcorder with external rode mic.  Does the job well but is a bit big really.   Wish they'd invent a gadget suitable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    I tried gopro 4 and 5 and both were rubbish audio and poor low light video. 

Currently use a 4k camcorder with external rode mic.  Does the job well but is a bit big really.   Wish they'd invent a gadget suitable. 
    Lots of people talk about the Zoom Q2n being a decent cheap and affordable option but I'm sceptical. Phone qaulity is acceptable because everyone does it if it's a decent phone, so it has to be at least as good as that. Hard to tell. 
  • Yeah ive read mixed reviews of those zoom things.  With such a small sensor it can't possibly excel at low light video.  Audio is probably good though.   Oddly we're comfortable leaving an expensive camera taped to a tripod the other side of the pub,  but wouldn't do that with a phone. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    The audio is always going to be shite on all cameras and the Zooms .... a better way to go it is to record the audio on the desk and the video on whatever gadget, then import the video into Movie Maker or iMovie and replace the shit audio with the good audio. 
    Video quality isn't that important because everyone is probably gonna watch it on small screens, A good Samsung phone or late gen iPhone is generally good enough
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I agree that audio and video should be handled by separate devices, desk being the best for audio. Rather than use a smartphone, could someone suggest a mini 4K camcorder. Poor light with a GoPro might require stage lighting. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    What @Danny1969 said. A modern phone camera, filming landscape, is adequate unless you need broadcast quality. If your band puts everything into the desk then record from that.

We record into Reaper, pre EQ and faders, and then mix down to stereo for an audio track to accompany the video. This allows you to change the levels for acoustic instruments such as drums, where the PA is providing sound reinforcement. It also means that you can drop out any obvious playing mistakes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the comments. I think the easiest way to do it is to use the equipment I have. And I've got a good Canon camera and a tripod so I've just bought a used Rode Video Pro Compact Pro that I can use with it. Thanks @fastonebaz. 

I think micing the kit and all will just be a little bit too much hassle compared to this. I've tried it twice before and twice someone has knocked over the two mics we were using. And I don't really want to set my phone up away from me as I think it'll get nicked and I need it for some stuff during the show. 

I'll see how this goes. 
  • I use my Samsung S9 for video - and the audio is recorded on the phone as well but using a shure MV88+ mic attached to the camera.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88plus