TC Electronics Plethora pedalboard.

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah MASH is basically an expression pedal built into the switch. I tried the Flashback2 which has it built in and it works quite well.

I'm super impatient for more info on this thing. But I can't believe the relatively disinterest in it on tFB and TGP - a few years back this would've been setting forums on fire I reckon. Something has changed.
    Its only like 2 weeks after the neuralDSP announcement too 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    Sorry to differ but I think the quality of TC effects is, well, a bit shit.

If you dial in a long reverb on the HoF as it decays away it sounds like several tinny half-second samples all strung together rather than one smooth continuous tail as on the Strymons.

Blue Nun wine aficionados will love this new TC pedal.
    I’ve never tried TC pedals (other than my Polytune 3 mini) so no idea what they sound like outside of demo videos, which are never an accurate indicator of quality.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Philtre said:

If you dial in a long reverb on the HoF as it decays away it sounds like several tinny half-second samples all strung together rather than one smooth continuous tail as on the Strymons.

I’ve never tried TC pedals (other than my Polytune 3 mini) so no idea what they sound like outside of demo videos, which are never an accurate indicator of quality.
    Well, to be fair, some of them are OK like the Viscous Vibe and the Flashback. I had a HoF but after I got a Strymon Flint (and lately, a Big Sky) I never used it again. Sounds a bit rough.

• Philtre said:

So us Black Tower lot should be OK?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Strymon pedals are 3 or 4 times the price of the TC’s though. I’d hope you’d be getting some benefit for all that extra money.  For a gig, which is surely what this pedalboard is aimed at, I reckon the TC toneprint pedals are more than adequate.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    The Strymon pedals are 3 or 4 times the price of the TC’s though. I’d hope you’d be getting some benefit for all that extra money.  For a gig, which is surely what this pedalboard is aimed at, I reckon the TC toneprint pedals are more than adequate.  

I've only had a couple of Strymons so I'm not an authority.

The plate reverb on the Flint was quite special, but the rest of it was much the same as anything else.

The El Cap I thought was quite ordinary and artificial sounding. 

I've always been impressed with the TC stuff especially the Reverbs and Delays. They do tend to fail though which is a shame.
  • Of this goes sub 300 after release I will have one for sure

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• If the Lord of Ambient Guitar likes it, it’s a good ‘un

https://youtu.be/sIL3lN3CAHI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^  Job done.  He probably had a couple of glasses of Blue Nun after that recording.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Yeah MASH is basically an expression pedal built into the switch. I tried the Flashback2 which has it built in and it works quite well.

I'm super impatient for more info on this thing. But I can't believe the relatively disinterest in it on tFB and TGP - a few years back this would've been setting forums on fire I reckon. Something has changed.

I've seen too many TC products break.

I wouldn't want to be dependent on them.  If you are going to have this, with the size required for 5 switches, it's basically going to pretty much cover all your delay/reverb/modulation needs, and you won't have the space for other pedals.  Being totally dependent on something from a company with TC's record on reliability is not something I want to do.

I would like a smaller version with one or two switches that I could use as a Swiss army knife alongside my Strymons, but there is no way I'd trust anything from TC to replace my Strymons.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    ^^  Job done.  He probably had a couple of glasses of Blue Nun after that recording.
    Oof. ;)

Here's a really dumb question. Why would he put the Strymon in the effects loop. Surely that strymon pedal *is* the amp sound?

Here's a really dumb question. Why would he put the Strymon in the effects loop. Surely that strymon pedal *is* the amp sound?
    I did wonder that as well although you can put the loop anywhere you like in the chain and the Plethora has a cab sim you could use so possibly he’s putting the Strymon before the cab sim ( rather than using the IRs in the Strymon). Or just because he can maybe. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    If the Lord of Ambient Guitar likes it, it’s a good ‘un

I think he had most of the delays and reverbs after the Strymon - basically the same as using them in the effects loop of a real amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Looks cool and could be an excellent partner for my Atomic Amplifire to make up for the overly complicated fx implementation on the Atomic.

But, TC pitch shifting not up there with EHX pitch fork I think? 
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    NelsonP said:
    Looks cool and could be an excellent partner for my Atomic Amplifire to make up for the overly complicated fx implementation on the Atomic.

But, TC pitch shifting not up there with EHX pitch fork I think? 
    the TC pitch is actually the best thing about TC electronics and possibly the best out there in a pedal format.

I have to agree with some other posters here, tc electronics time based effects are really nothing to talk about. I also found their HOF comp quite unpleasant sounding and couldn't get a usable sound out of it. 

The ergonomy on the plethora looks really great though, if anything I hope strymon gets inspired by it and releases an all in one solution including preamp/cab sim.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • althy said:
    NelsonP said:

The ergonomy on the plethora looks really great though, if anything I hope strymon gets inspired by it and releases an all in one solution including preamp/cab sim.
    I’d like to see similar from Meris, Eventide and Neunaber also! 

• althy said:

I have to agree with some other posters here, tc electronics time based effects are really nothing to talk about. I also found their HOF comp quite unpleasant sounding and couldn't get a usable sound out of it. 
    Hmm...
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    I think some Toneprints are more inspiring than others. I really liked the Echoplex toneprint in the FB but I couldn't give a tupenny about the rest. I make frequent use of the Sub N Up. Less impressed by the Corona. 

I'll try this when it arrives, though.
  • Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.