Postponed: Western Jam 2020 - Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    Now we are up and running we need a volunteer (ideally someone who has attended at least one of these regional jam events before) to lead the discussion on track suggestions, manage allocation of associated band parts, etc, and another volunteer who can organise the backline, etc, for the house band (someone local to the venue would be ideal for this role).
    Any takers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @Funkfingers also mentioned recording at the previous jam ???  

I know a drummer if we need a second/reserve drummer.  
    what about vocals?

thanks @Brocco for moving things along

and thanks to those who have paid - I'll give it a day or two, confirm receipt of funds so far and do some nagging for payment from anyone else who I can spot lurking in the undergrowth

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
     Can put the excel spread sheet back up on Google drive ?
       Maybe try and avoid the usually Teenage kicks etc until we run out of songs....I’ll kick off with - cause they are easy..

Boys are back in town - Lizzy
       Your all I have - Snow patrol
       Is she really going out with him - Joe Jackson
       Use somebody - Kings OL.

Just some ideas...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited March 2020
    nickp said:
    Payment time please.  £14 to nick@paulleys.co.uk

total cost is £140 so we are hoping for 10+ which will cover us for any incidental costs and/or contribution to the forum running costs.

i will pay studio as soon as I get enough in.

thank you

nick
    Sent mate

The drummer will probs want some cash for their time. It's a pretty gruelling day on the drums. Depending on numbers maybe we can do another whip around

Happy to keep track of backline
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    nickp said:
    Affirmative.

Recording gear supplied and operated by extremely kind forum members and, then, complete/finished mixes uploaded on Soundcloud. (The 2019 tracks may have already been withdrawn to create space for 2020 ones.) There were also video recordings of some performances.

It should go without saying that Factory Studios can record event performances ... for an additional charge.

Hopefully, this goes to demonstrate that these events are a community affair. All subscribers have to contribute time, money and effort to conjure the event into existence out of thin air. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Re recordings; if I can make it, which it looks like I can, I'm happy to bring everything for recording and handle the on the day task of setting up and manning the desk / laptop. 

I think it likely I'll withdraw from playing as I'm unlikely to have the time to learn anything, with an impending house move and studio build. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    nickp said:

what about vocals?

and thanks to those who have paid - I'll give it a day or two, confirm receipt of funds so far and do some nagging for payment from anyone else who I can spot lurking in the undergrowth

There’s usually enough of us who are happy to do vocals as long as the songs selected are in a sensible pitch.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

Re recordings; if I can make it, which it looks like I can, I'm happy to bring everything for recording and handle the on the day task of setting up and manning the desk / laptop. 

I think it likely I'll withdraw from playing as I'm unlikely to have the time to learn anything, with an impending house move and studio build. 
    Surely we can do a quick version of Hard to Handle? I’m happy to man the recording board when needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    spark240 said:
     Can put the excel spread sheet back up on Google drive?
    Probably better to wait until enough subscriptions have been paid for the event to definitely break even. 

spark240 said:
    try and avoid the usual Teenage Kicks etc until we run out of [other] songs.
    I second this. 

On the one hand, the song list has to cater for all ability levels. On the other hand, it would be wasteful to clone the 2019 song list.

Much as I love TK, resorting to playing it at an event like this is an admission of defeat. IMO, it is one step short of descending to the sort of bad, white person, twelve bar blues that indicates that a jam session has run out of ideas. 

The Song List usually expands into several Discussions all of its own. One to gather suggestions, a second to vote for which songs get priority and a third to organise who plays/sings on which song(s). I volunteered to do this last year but had to bow out because my computer could not host Google Drive.
  • mrkb said:

Re recordings; if I can make it, which it looks like I can, I'm happy to bring everything for recording and handle the on the day task of setting up and manning the desk / laptop. 

Surely we can do a quick version of Hard to Handle? I’m happy to man the recording board when needed.
    My plan is to just bring recording kit. 

Desk
    Laptop
    Headphones 
    2 x SM57s
    2 x SM58s
    Full set of drum mics
    All associated mic stands
    Big bag'o'cables (tm) 

By not bringing amps, guitars, basses etc I'll have a much lighter car and reduce the cost of attending, as well as focussing me on the task at hand. 

I'll be able to setup everything and then sit back and contribute to the day from my little corner. 

mrkb said:
    nickp said:

what about vocals?

There’s usually enough of us who are happy to do vocals as long as the songs selected are in a sensible pitch.
     I can sing pretty high. My vocal style has been described as being like a fire in a cattery
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @roberty - high enough for some AC/DC?
  • Brocco said:
    Undoubtedly. Do you not remember his Led Zep? Only cats could hear it. Had to add a sub octave on the recording 

Brocco said:
    Undoubtedly. Do you not remember his Led Zep? Only cats could hear it. Had to add a sub octave on the recording 
    Can confirm there were distressed cats in the vicinity
    roberty said:
    Brocco said:
    I was well impressed! I’d need kicking in the balls to get that high, and it wouldn’t sound as musical!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Sent payment today
    mrkb said:
    roberty said:
    Brocco said:
    I was well impressed! I’d need kicking in the balls to get that high, and it wouldn’t sound as musical!
    My ex would probably enjoy the sound of me being kicked in the balls
    roberty said:
    My ex would probably enjoy the sound of me being kicked in the balls
    That's Entertainment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    nickp said:
    we are hoping for 10+ which will cover us for any incidental costs and/or contribution to the forum running costs.
    [....]

The most fundamental thing will be to have at least two drummers of a good standard.

[....]

[....]
    roberty said:
    [....]
    Sent mate

The drummer will probs want some cash for their time. It's a pretty gruelling day on the drums. Depending on numbers maybe we can do another whip around

Happy to keep track of backline

Okay guys. You need to get real on covering your costs. Last year's main drummer took away £100. Then add the venue, equipment rental, an extra drummer, donation to the Forum.

15 paying £14 a pop only raises £210 .... you sure you can make it work?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As things stand we are hoping the talented octatonic will be on skins - if that proves not to be the case for some reason, we may need to reconsider upping the subs a bit depending on the number of paying attendees.
This discussion has been closed.