What guitar is this please?

What's Hot
Hi. I recently acquired this body but I'm having a problem finding out exactly who made it and what model it is.
It weighs a little over 1.8kg and is, of course, left handed.
2 pic ups, 2 pots, 1 switch. Jack plug on the lower rim and and the neck joint looks like an Ibanez.
The two studs for the trem have 63mm centres. G&L trem?
Any info much welcome. Steve

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5381
    Amazing.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As soon as I master the art of posting some pics....you'll have pics!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Yes, it looks like it might be a lower-range Ibanez from the body shape, neck joint and control positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I'm getting there......I'd prefer an actual pic but the links are all I can get from flickr

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Not ibanez.. those contours are a Cort X series. X2 maybe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
     https://images.app.goo.gl/F87EnMudiLfo81GH9

On mobile, images are an arse..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited February 2020
    LuttiS said:
    Cort X2. 
    Good shout. https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=98

Steve131 said:
    The two studs for the trem have 63mm centres. 
    Almost certainly a Sung-il two-point basic fulcrum design with a skinny tapered sustain block - common to numerous Korean and Indonesian-built electric guitars. Cort calls this the Full Action II. 

EDIT: If I am correct about the vibrato bridge, it creates the following two problems.
    1. The only direct replacement vibratos that fit will be other Sung-il products. e.g. Their BS103 and BS108
    2. Anything that does align with the stock pivots will probably be too deep for the body.

Be seeing you.
  • Thanks to all on here for the info, in particular Tony who sorted the pic. Something I've not got used to yet. i dumped all my hosting accounts ages ago as the more modern forums moved on!
    I really could do with one of those trems if anyone has one. In left hand as well! The rest won't be that hard to find.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5381
    Yeah, looks like that Cort that LuttiS suggested.
  • LuttiS said:
    Cort X2. 
    Good shout. https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=98

Steve131 said:
    The two studs for the trem have 63mm centres. 
    Almost certainly a Sung-il two-point basic fulcrum design with a skinny tapered sustain block - common to numerous Korean and Indonesian-built electric guitars. Cort calls this the Full Action II. 

EDIT: If I am correct about the vibrato bridge, it creates the following two problems.
    1. The only direct replacement vibratos that fit will be other Sung-il products. e.g. Their BS103 and BS108
    2. Anything that does align with the stock pivots will probably be too deep for the body.

Would the Gotoh GE1996T fit, with the flat knife edge to allow for different stud spacings?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Would the Gotoh GE1996T fit, with the flat knife edge to allow for different stud spacings?
    Not without filling the original Sung-il pivot insert holes and, then, drilling new ones at the usual 73mm spacing for Floyd Rose and all good copies. 

It would probably also be necessary to alter the vibrato cavity to accommodate the FR arm socket. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Would the Gotoh GE1996T fit, with the flat knife edge to allow for different stud spacings?
    Not without filling the original Sung-il pivot insert holes and, then, drilling new ones at the usual 73mm spacing for Floyd Rose and all good copies. 

It would probably also be necessary to alter the vibrato cavity to accommodate the FR arm socket. 

That's quite a big difference isn't it? Didn't realise it was that much
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Steve131Steve131 Frets: 0
    There's obviously a bit of choice on what trem to fit to this body. I have all the routing tools in my workshop and I can make templates as well. I'm not afraid to get stuck in. I'll probably need to plug the posts and start again with whatever trem I end up with.
    Before I make an uninformed choice of trem, what's the best trem to fit, bearing in mind that this is only a parts guitar and its a lefty? Plus, it will be good if it would stay in tune once its used!
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Hi Steve,

Glad to see you've joined the fretboard! Good luck with your build.

Rich
    Thanks Rich. Yes, I did join. Things have changed a lot since I last was into the subject of building a guitar. I'm hoping to build something from all the stuff I have, plus I need to buy some more and I don't want to waste my money, so the advise on here will be very useful.
    Steve.
    Hi all. I'm having a bit of a problem finding a suitable trem for this Cort body, or more to the point, who to buy it from. I'm thinking about a two point trem as that was originally fitted and the fact that I've never had one!
    I've tried a few suppliers but most of them don't stock much for left handed. I mailed the Sung-il company but they didn't reply to my enquiry. So, who are the suppliers that sell all this stuff? Any pointers?  Thanks.

• Well I'm back on this project now and I can say that my search for any Sung-il 2 post left handed trems has come to nil. They obviously make a lot of stuff to do with guitar products but the market is not exactly awash with spare parts!
    I'll have one more ask on here, then I think I'll probably pull the posts and fill the holes and use something else like a hard-tail if I can find a good one.