NGD: Gibson Gospel 100th Anniversary Reissue

What's Hot
Hey you crazy cats!

Haven't had an acoustic for nearly a year after p/exing my old Yamaha for something, and was missing the whole cowboy round a campfire vibe.  Found myself jonesing for a J45, but being a pretty mediocre player AND broker than a church mouse after fending off the depredations of HMRC was really chary of the outlay.

Then up springs the delightful @shaunm hawking this rather jolly instrument: a 1994 Gibson Gospel.  "What's that?!" I hear you all cry.  Apparently a more resonant acoustic they made in the early 70's for the happy clappy brigade, not particularly long lived or well regarded, with laminate back and sides.  Then for some crazy damn fool reason they reissued them for a brief period in the 90's, with mahogany on the sides and back which, interestingly, is slightly arched: for more resonance, I believe.

To me it looked virtually indistinguishable from what I'd been lusting after (I know purists will disagree) for a fraction of the cost, and I sprang like Zebedee.  By an elaborate County Lines operation involving my Dad hauling it from Barnsley to civilisation at the weekend (it's good to let parents have a taste of the thrills n kicks the youngsters enjoy)  it is now mine all mine, and a lovely thing it is too.  My acoustic playing sucks, after a year on 10s (and a lifetime of being shit), but it looks the business.  And comes in a case with a Nashville Airport luggage tag attached, which is uber cool.

People of the Fretboard, what say you?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Well I say it’s truly a fantastic guitar. I’m glad it’s with you. 

Unfortunately the proceeds didn’t go towards a drive but instead a roof leak.... storm Dennis, what a bugger.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    shaunm said:

Unfortunately the proceeds didn’t go towards a drive but instead a roof leak.... storm Dennis, what a bugger.
    Nightmare.  Being dicked about by insurers here for precisely the same thing.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    JerkMoans said:
    shaunm said:

Nightmare.  Being dicked about by insurers here for precisely the same thing.
    The roof wasn’t maintained argument?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    lovely looking guitar Mark