Are there any other non-squeaky coated strings other than Elixirs?

What's Hot
I've always liked Elixirs, but would try any alternatives
I have pretty good technique, but some pieces require movements that create squeaks, even on the original recordings, I have become used to avoiding this, so now find it more jarring 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3689
    D'Addario EXPs?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    drofluf said:
    D'Addario EXPs?
    I think I have tried those, very squeaky
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    If you like the slipperiness of Elixirs then they're probably the best choice. I can't stand them for exactly that reason (as well as not liking the sound)... they feel greasy, to me - more than any other coated strings.

I would have suggested DR Dragon Skin which are the only ones I really like, but they're if anything the opposite and might squeak more - they feel 'rough', so possibly best avoided.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If you like the slipperiness of Elixirs then they're probably the best choice. I can't stand them for exactly that reason (as well as not liking the sound)... they feel greasy, to me - more than any other coated strings.

I would have suggested DR Dragon Skin which are the only ones I really like, but they're if anything the opposite and might squeak more - they feel 'rough', so possibly best avoided.
    that's what I wondered, I saw you recommend them recently
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    drofluf said:
    D'Addario EXPs?
    I think I have tried those, very squeaky
    I love the EXP's and don't find them squeaky at all  Strings direct did a BOGOF offer on them so have enough for years :)
  • ICBM said:

I doubt you’ll like them for the reasons ICBM mentioned. Very squeaky and feel rough/grippy on the plains. Not sure they’ll stay on my guitar long to be honest. 

I know they’re not coated, but don’t Newtone do double wraps or something? So the strings are wrapped with finer wire - less noise? I’ve found round core last long than hex core if that helps. 
    ToneControl said:

Exactly why I mentioned it, to save you buying something you will almost certainly hate :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    ToneControl said:

Exactly why I mentioned it, to save you buying something you will almost certainly hate :).
    ta
  • I’ve used EXPs for years without any squeaking. I also, use Fast Fret which seemed to prolong their life. I get a year out of a set used like this but, to be fair, I have dry skin and use shaving oil which I suspect makes my fingertips slightly more ‘slick’ and lest prone to friction squeaks. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Flatwounds - very non-squeaky
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited February 2020
    Jalapeno said:
    Flatwounds - very non-squeaky
    true, but not the sound I want on my acoustics
    Got a set on my bass though, lovely
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Interesting - I’ve used EXPs for many years, always liked the tone and the longevity. My only niggle with them is that with my fingers, they’re squeakier than Elixirs. Over the past year or so I’ve transitioned go the latter. Similar tone, same lifespan, less squeak.
  • you might be surprised about flat wounds - the best of them whilst expensive can sound wonderfully bright on an acoustic - do give these a try - https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/acoustic-guitar-c33/thomastik-infeld-ac111-plectrum-bronze-11-50-acoustic-guitar-strings-p347 :) ...
    DavidRees said:
    you might be surprised about flat wounds - the best of them whilst expensive can sound wonderfully bright on an acoustic - do give these a try - https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/acoustic-guitar-c33/thomastik-infeld-ac111-plectrum-bronze-11-50-acoustic-guitar-strings-p347 :) ...
    very interesting, I think I  will try.
    The 50 bottom E on the 11s set looks a bit low gauge, is that just because it's flat wound?
    The 50 bottom E on the 11s set looks a bit low gauge, is that just because it's flat wound?
    Yes, all the wound strings have lighter gauges than similar roundwounds - as do rolled-wounds to some extent - because there are no spaces in the windings, so there is more mass for a given gauge.

edited February 2020
    DavidRees said:
    you might be surprised about flat wounds - the best of them whilst expensive can sound wonderfully bright on an acoustic - do give these a try - https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/acoustic-guitar-c33/thomastik-infeld-ac111-plectrum-bronze-11-50-acoustic-guitar-strings-p347 ...
    very interesting, I think I  will try.
    I wonder about the gauges
    have you tried the 12s?

SET AC111
    light
    P11
    P14
    AC019
    AC027
    AC036
    AC050

SET AC112
    medium light
    P12
    P15
    AC024
    AC033
    AC044
    AC059

I notice the bottom string is roundwound
    I play with 11s
    The maker's site says these are good for old and fragile guitars, and are lower tension

I'm assuming that I'd need to adjust my truss rod to use these
    I wonder if the 12s would work better for me

ICBM said:
    Yes, all the wound strings have lighter gauges than similar roundwounds - as do rolled-wounds to some extent - because there are no spaces in the windings, so there is more mass for a given gauge.
    the bottom E is roundwound
    I checked the tensions,
    instead of 
    20,20, 25, 30,30, 25 pounds for my 11s = 150 total
    their 11s are:
    20, 16, 20, 23, 22, 22 =  around 100 total
    their 12s:
    23, 21, 32, 30, 31, 31 = about 168 total

a shame they have nothing in between these sets?

surely the 100lb set would be a bit quiet on my nice new guitars?
  • I use mine on an old 2002 APX 9C with 25 1/2" scale length, spruce top, sycamore back and sides [bit like maple] and the feel, playability and projection is fine. There was no need for any truss rod adjustment. It just seems to work. Give the 11s a try - for less than £20 its a worthwhile experiment to see if you like the sound and feel. As I said earlier you may be pleasantly surprised :) ...
    DavidRees said:
    I use mine on an old 2002 APX 9C with 25 1/2" scale length, spruce top, sycamore back and sides [bit like maple] and the feel, playability and projection is fine. There was no need for any truss rod adjustment. It just seems to work. Give the 11s a try - for less than £20 its a worthwhile experiment to see if you like the sound and feel. As I said earlier you may be pleasantly surprised :) ...
    just ordered some £10.80 from amazon