Decent sounding electro

Are there any reasonably priced good sounding out-of-the-box electro’s?

I have an acoustic blues project starting, so would like something smaller bodied (and less acoustically ‘alive’) than my dreadnought with a cutaway and decent plugged in sound, so not just a generic Ust and built in preamp.  It will be a live beater so don’t want price to escalate.

Failing the above I have been considering the out of budget Tele acoustasonic, but not sure.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627

I think you need to define 'reasonably priced'.

I have a new project that requires me to play more acoustic stuff.  If it's just the odd song or even part of a song then I'll use an acoustic simulator (started with Boss AC-3 pedal, now do this with an IR in the Helix) but I was looking at the Yamaha SLG200S silent guitar at the weekend.  I had heard the sounds on various reviews but this was the first time that I'd picked one up.

I'm not sure how it would balance on a strap (it was absolutely fine sitting down) but I couldn't justify one for a few songs (c£500).  Maybe if I was playing predominantly acoustic though?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Parlour/OM/LG-style guitar of your choice + magnetic soundhole pickup.

Miles better sounding than any piezo-based electro, especially for anything bluesy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Parlour/OM/LG-style guitar of your choice + magnetic soundhole pickup.

Miles better sounding than any piezo-based electro, especially for anything bluesy.

Yes, I have the Dimarzio Angel DP230, sounds sweet. I also have the Seymour Duncan Woody XL, which sounds pretty good and is a lot cheaper. Adjustable pole pieces on both of these pickups are handy; I have used them when changing between nickel and phosphor bronze strings.

One thing to consider with this approach is if you're happy with the wire running down the front of the guitar. If not then you'll have to put an endpin jack in, or re-purpose any existing one that is in there. Woody XL has a captive cable so this is not so easy to do. Dimarzio has a mini jack so it's not a problem.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I have a Guild Westerly D-140 CE, they are their chinese built all solid versions, about £850-£900 new, I paid £400 for a used version and it sounds great to me unplugged or plugged in.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    just get a LR baggs m1a or m80 or the takemine version of the M1. 

Best acoustic sound I've ever had, and just requires you to drill out the jack for the lead.   Plus you get 0 feedback