Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

East Yorkshire. What's it like?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    I lived in Grimsby on and off from early 70s to 81. It was much nicer then although there were some total psycho kids bordering on Thompson venables characters seriously . It seemed to have declined when I was there on 84 but I think it’s worse now . Great club there though called yardbirds . We lived at Sussex street, Harrington street then went posh and lived at humberstone .
    gran lived at Lancaster avenue and willows estate.  

Agreed, Yardbirds is great @hollywoodrox and one of the few places worth visiting in Grimsby. 

It's run by the Warlocks bike gang so got to make sure you're on your best behaviour. My sister is in the police force, and she says even they won't go in there, and the basically let them police themselves. I've know the head of security for about forty years, he's the nicest guy you could meet, but you definitely wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him. Nonetheless, I've had some brilliant night out up there. It's the best music venue in town, not that there's many to choose from. 

Coincidentally, my first house was in Lawson Avenue which is the street behind, running parallel to Lancaster Avenue. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I grew up in Hull! It's a smallish centre with miles of suburbs. It has (or had...) an amazing grass roots music scene centred around The New Adelphi Club (mainly because of local legend Paul Jackson), but also had a great art college scene. I remember going out to night clubs and knowing everyone there - kids from the Avenues, and kids from the suburbs, goths, skaters, punks, stoners - it felt like a creative melting pot.

I think it's now been ruined by them building a massive shopping centre just outside of the centre, and the old centre now features betting shops and pawn shops. Last time I went back I noticed there was quite clearly a synthetic-cannabis problem as there were lots of people walking around looking like zombies. 

It's definitely on the rough side (both me and my brother have been beaten-up in the street for no reason), but there's also a tremendous down-to-earth warmth to the character of the local people. The whole of East Hull is kind of depressing - it's very industrial and there are large council estates.

Weirdly, I didn't notice Cottingham very much growing up, apart from I had some lovely friends from there, and it always had a very good reputation.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Hull is getting better, and that will continue if we ever get some sort of decent rail network across the north.  Can't argue that at the moment it is one of the crapper northern cities. It does feel like the end of the world too. 

Don't let anyone kid you, Grimsby is horrible, as is Cleethorpes.

East Yorks as a whole is nice though, as has been said, great villages and you get a lot for your money. Lovely open spaces and some cracking coastline, ranging from wide open beaches to craggy cliff tops. I love it. Actually the beach at Cleethorpes is good, just a shame the rest of the area is rank.

Snow - E Yorks is mostly flat, so you don't cop for it too much. Different on the moors, but mostly its low level. Besides, I wouldn't let that put me off anywhere. We don't get much snow in this country full stop, not really.

• I lived in Grimsby on and off from early 70s to 81. It was much nicer then although there were some total psycho kids bordering on Thompson venables characters seriously . It seemed to have declined when I was there on 84 but I think it’s worse now . Great club there though called yardbirds . We lived at Sussex street, Harrington street then went posh and lived at humberstone .

They still have issues with absolutely horrible youths in Grimsby. No direction, no education, benefits, have kids early....etc. 

Put it this way, when I first became single last October I was in Grimsby...decided to try the dating app scene and I was horrified how many people didn't work. It really made me feel like I'd run my course of luck with the ladies.

As soon as my house was ready to move into near York, it totally switched around. So many nice people around, meeting women is 100% better, and I feel safe all the time. It's amazing how a town can make you feel low. I'll never move back to Grimsby but I love my old friends, the old hangouts and of course my family.

The Yardbirds! I went there for the first time in December and had a great night. Went again a few weeks later. But yes, it's old school....and actually the bikers were lovely to me and I'm a mod hahhhahahaha! It was an indie night so I guess they have to put up and forget mods vs rockers.

Humberstone is still nice, as is Waltham, parts of Clee etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    My musical collaborator lives in Cottingham. He is a Detective Inspector. Behave yo'selves. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 676
    edited February 2020
     exocet said:
    ...(easy to get to the Dales and the Moors)...
    Only if you want to drive through and ignore the beautiful Yorkshire Wolds.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • I lived in Grimsby on and off from early 70s to 81. It was much nicer then although there were some total psycho kids bordering on Thompson venables characters seriously . It seemed to have declined when I was there on 84 but I think it’s worse now . Great club there though called yardbirds . We lived at Sussex street, Harrington street then went posh and lived at humberstone .

Agreed, Yardbirds is great @hollywoodrox and one of the few places worth visiting in Grimsby. 

It's run by the Warlocks bike gang so got to make sure you're on your best behaviour. My sister is in the police force, and she says even they won't go in there, and the basically let them police themselves. I've know the head of security for about forty years, he's the nicest guy you could meet, but you definitely wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him. Nonetheless, I've had some brilliant night out up there. It's the best music venue in town, not that there's many to choose from. 

Coincidentally, my first house was in Lawson Avenue which is the street behind, running parallel to Lancaster Avenue. 

Awesome . I remember there being a railway line and it was not a long walk to grandways.
    yardbirds gets so many name people playing . They have had Steven Adler and Gilby Clarke to name a few. I would almost consider moving back just on the strength of that.

when I was about 12 I think the stray cats played at winter gardens in cleethorpes. I seem to remember there was a club called bunny’s place and a disco near the arcades ,was it called clouds ? I remember joe frater having a used car lot  I think now he has a big clutch mot centre and did boxing promoting, I’m sure one of his sons played for Grimsby or the youth team.

freeman street market was absolutely freakin awesome in the old days with mad Harry’s stall ,
    it was a real proper market in the 70s .

• My musical collaborator lives in Cottingham. He is a Detective Inspector. Behave yo'selves. ;)
    There could be an afternoon television mystery series in there. The cottingham mysteries 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • East Yorkshire wolds lovely area . It may take in stainton le vale (I’m sure Pam Ayers lived there) and binbrook (RAF,Vulcans) I remember a village called swallow too and it had a pub called the swallow inn 
    rlw said:

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14184
    tFB Trader
    I lived in Grimsby on and off from early 70s to 81. It was much nicer then although there were some total psycho kids bordering on Thompson venables characters seriously . It seemed to have declined when I was there on 84 but I think it’s worse now . Great club there though called yardbirds . We lived at Sussex street, Harrington street then went posh and lived at humberstone .

Awesome . I remember there being a railway line and it was not a long walk to grandways.
    yardbirds gets so many name people playing . They have had Steven Adler and Gilby Clarke to name a few. I would almost consider moving back just on the strength of that.

when I was about 12 I think the stray cats played at winter gardens in cleethorpes. I seem to remember there was a club called bunny’s place and a disco near the arcades ,was it called clouds ? I remember joe frater having a used car lot  I think now he has a big clutch mot centre and did boxing promoting, I’m sure one of his sons played for Grimsby or the youth team.

freeman street market was absolutely freakin awesome in the old days with mad Harry’s stall ,
    it was a real proper market in the 70s .

I recall visiting my gran in the 70's and my dad taking me to the docks - They were busy and huge in those days + very interesting and we'd always have a visit then visiting the clan - Certainly can't recall parts of Grimsby looking so run down as it has been in recent years - My Gran died 2 years ago, age 99, so not been over since

I even went to Macauley Street Junior School  for a few weeks, age around 7 or 8, whilst my mum/day where moving home and I stayed at my Gran's for a couple of weeks
  • grungebob said:
    Being someone born in Grimsby I’m not actually allowed to say Hull is better (but it is). 

The villages around it are nice and quite posh , the centre is ok but there are some rough areas. 

I'm from Grimsby too, I'm afraid we'll have to tan your arse with a brick from the Dock Tower for that. 

They still have issues with absolutely horrible youths in Grimsby. No direction, no education, benefits, have kids early....etc. 

Put it this way, when I first became single last October I was in Grimsby...decided to try the dating app scene and I was horrified how many people didn't work. It really made me feel like I'd run my course of luck with the ladies.

As soon as my house was ready to move into near York, it totally switched around. So many nice people around, meeting women is 100% better, and I feel safe all the time. It's amazing how a town can make you feel low. I'll never move back to Grimsby but I love my old friends, the old hangouts and of course my family.

The Yardbirds! I went there for the first time in December and had a great night. Went again a few weeks later. But yes, it's old school....and actually the bikers were lovely to me and I'm a mod hahhhahahaha! It was an indie night so I guess they have to put up and forget mods vs rockers.

Humberstone is still nice, as is Waltham, parts of Clee etc. 

You miss £1 pints at Old Lloyds on a Tuesday, admit it. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    Went to visit Cottingham today and liked it a lot. Going to be a challenge persuading teenager #1 to up sticks, though.

Things are soooooo much cheaper ooop north!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I lived in the centre of hull for a year as part of my job.
    I’d heard it was a dump and wasn’t keen, but I can honestly say it was a great year. I’d have been happy to stay, but there wasn’t a lot of work for my wife.
    you can get a brilliant house for your money round there
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    Well, looks like it's all go. We should be moving some time in July.

Must confess I'm quite nervous about it. I've spent the last 30 years in and around Cambridge and suddenly I will be three hours away in a place where I don't know anyone, with two resentful teenagers and a super busy wife.

I hope lockdown is over by then so I can go to the pub.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Like hell but way worse.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Don't they have any vacancies in the Monte Carlo Office instead?
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Stuckfast said:
    Well, looks like it's all go. We should be moving some time in July.

Must confess I'm quite nervous about it. I've spent the last 30 years in and around Cambridge and suddenly I will be three hours away in a place where I don't know anyone, with two resentful teenagers and a super busy wife.

I hope lockdown is over by then so I can go to the pub.
    Whereabouts in Hull / surrounding areas are you pitching up.

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3651
    Stuckfast said:

Things are soooooo much cheaper ooop north!
    My god, how much does a good pigeon cost down your way?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/flightless-pigeon-fetches-record-16000-129210