Fav simple shred licks?

What's Hot
Keyword is simple! What are your go-tos? Thinking of expanding my soloing repertoire to include some faster passages. Video examples would be great!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like playing my one handed descending ionian run in E major

From 17s in:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited February 2020
    I like playing my one handed descending ionian run in E major

From 17s in:

Nice. will try that out. Are you string muting with your right hand?
  • Yes,  just grabbing the neck to damp everything. It's actually really easy to play but seems to impress pretty well ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10681

From 17s in:

Nice. I like the way it’s ionian in the top and bottom octaves and mixo in the middle. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I quite often do this little persian scale when I want to add spice - at the end of this clip. It’s really easy but sounds quite flash. 

https://youtu.be/vMsKTjNy9h0
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    I quite often do this little persian scale when I want to add spice - at the end of this clip. It’s really easy but sounds quite flash. 

What a belting Guitarist you are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:

From 17s in:

Nice. I like the way it’s ionian in the top and bottom octaves and mixo in the middle. 
    @viz yes totally deliberate that mode change... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:

What a belting Guitarist you are.
    Why thank you - what a gent you are!!
    viz said:

Just "ecosia-ed" the scale as it is new to me. Interesting scale. A decent amount of chromaticism in it with the flat 5th degree. Will have a go, but I'm not sure it's "really easy" for non-shred gods! 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited February 2020
    There are certain fast moveable patterns that fall under my fingers (as opposed a specific lick). If that's the sort of thing you're looking for I can create a video..
    It's not a competition.
    There are certain fast moveable patterns that fall under my fingers (as opposed a specific lick). If that's the sort of thing you're looking for I can create a video..
    That would be brilliant if you have the time! 
    Branshen said:
    viz said:

Just "ecosia-ed" the scale as it is new to me. Interesting scale. A decent amount of chromaticism in it with the flat 5th degree. Will have a go, but I'm not sure it's "really easy" for non-shred gods! 

Good on ya for using Ecosia!

It’s a good scale indeed! Actually I’m playing the 4th mode which i prefer as it has a proper (undiminished) 5th, so you can use it as the basis of a song and still have a V chord. 

:)
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I'm not sure the words 'moveable patterns' and 'fast' go together for me, but I'd like to see the vid. 
  • Here are a couple of simple finger patterns I sometimes use and move/slide around the neck. In the videos I play the general idea slowly then speed it up. Sorry it this is all obvious and basic. I'm not a proper shredder.

The first video shows what I think of as "finger roll" type patterns. That's three note per string hammer-ons, three note per string pull-offs. Also three note per string hammer-ons followed by one note on a higher string and then three note per string pull-offs on the lower string again. My fingers feel like they're "rolling" up and down the strings and sliding between positions.

The second video shows what I think of as "finger bounce" type patterns. That's a hammer-on, followed by a pull-off, followed by a note on a lower string. My fingers feel like they're "bouncing" on the strings.

It's not a competition.
    Here are a couple of simple finger patterns I sometimes use and move/slide around the neck. In the videos I play the general idea slowly then speed it up. Sorry it this is all obvious and basic. I'm not a proper shredder.

The first video shows what I think of as "finger roll" type patterns. That's three note per string hammer-ons, three note per string pull-offs. Also three note per string hammer-ons followed by one note on a higher string and then three note per string pull-offs on the lower string again. My fingers feel like they're "rolling" up and down the strings and sliding between positions.

The second video shows what I think of as "finger bounce" type patterns. That's a hammer-on, followed by a pull-off, followed by a note on a lower string. My fingers feel like they're "bouncing" on the strings.

Thanks for this! The description of your technique is really helpful too. Will have a go at these.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Here are a couple of simple finger patterns I sometimes use and move/slide around the neck. In the videos I play the general idea slowly then speed it up. Sorry it this is all obvious and basic. I'm not a proper shredder.

I practice very much the same. I look for moveable sequences. I play it in one shape of the pentatonics and move to the next etc. Soon enough its all over the neck. Keeping the picking pattern the same as much as possible and altering maybe one note of the sequence and rpt. Problem is i look up and hrs have passed. Its addictive for me though i enjoy the process. 
    edited February 2020
    @Branshen just to add that the notes I'm playing in the examples above are from  A Dorian with the occasional flat 5. For the "rolling finger" examples the hammer-ons and pull-offs vary between fingers 1-3-4, 1-2-4 and 1-2-3 depending on the stretch

It's not a competition.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    I did this little vid for a student, some of these sound quite shreddy but in a more major blues fashion 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-lIhMeWBNM
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • God I have loads of these. I'll try and post some tomorrow! 
    edited February 2020
    God I have loads of these. I'll try and post some tomorrow! 

That should be very interesting, but will us mere mortals be able to play them :) ?

It's not a competition.