Jazz wiring. No earth to the output socket?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
Had an odd one today,  a friend wanted me to arrive his US standard Fender Jazz.  Needed a setup and has some crackles.    
When I own the control plate to clean the pots I notice it only has one connection to th output socket.  I assume the ground is via the metal plate as the signal is coming through fine and there I no sign of the second tab on the socket ever having solder but I’ve never come across that.   
Tempted to add a wired ground signal but thought I’d check if it’s just normal and leave it alone.   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Its earthed through the control plate but I always add a lead as belts and braces
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Funnily enough I had to fix a dodgy wire on my Jazz the other day, and noticed the same thing; as previously mentioned it's the control plate that links the grounds on the jack to the pots.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    sweepy said:
    Its earthed through the control plate but I always add a lead as belts and braces
    Correct. Poor ground connections caused by relying on the physical contact between the jack, pots and control plate are a well-known problem with old Jazz basses and other Fenders once a bit of corrosion gets in.

Ignore the myth that doubling the connection causes a ‘ground loop’ - it doesn’t. A fully-soldered ground connection is more reliable and reduces noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Same observation applies to vintage Fender guitars (and period correct replicas) with a metal screening plate beneath the scratchplate. Point to point soldered grounding between the pots improves matters.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.