What NOT to play....

What's Hot
BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 242
ok guys, following on from your really helpful replies to my last post I am back to ask another stupid and probably annoying question! 

What songs shouldnt I play at an open mic? I totally get not playing something that goes on for ever, I was more thinking about the songs that would have people groaning or saying “not that again”!!  I intend to play covers for now as not yet confident enough of any of my own songs to play them live.

Trying to put together a few songs to go with but don’t want to make a twat of myself by choosing the wrong ones. 

Thanks guys!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    Play whatever you're comfortable with and choose the tunes that you like. Open mic nights are to show off YOUR talent not please the crowd. At least the way I see it. 
    I once backed out from an acoustic duo after the other half started suggesting indie tunes because they're crowd entertainers.
    No way I'm playing that I thought.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Anything you’ve ever heard any other performer or band play at an open mic or a gig.

Just don’t be boring. There are thousands and thousands of great songs out there.

I would only play something standard if you’re going to do it so differently that the punters take a while to spot what you’re up to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd pick 5 x 3 minute simple songs you know well.
    3 Chord tricks are fine - if someone has already played one of them already then just drop that.
    In general the audience is supportive - i worked with a fellow a few years ago who was nervous about playing at an open mic.
    He was actually a better guitarist than me but it took some persuading to get him to see that.
    Now he's dumped me and does 2 or 3 a week on his own !
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31582
    They can be well known songs as long as they're not just the usual strummers.

The last open mic I went to with our singer as an acoustic duo we did Sing It Back by Moloko and Toxic by Britney Spears, so not exactly obscure, though I've never heard anyone else do them like that and I was sweating buckets by the end!
    p90fool said:

The last open mic I went to with our singer as an acoustic duo we did Sing It Back by Moloko and Toxic by Britney Spears, so not exactly obscure, though I've never heard anyone else do them like that and I was sweating buckets by the end!
    Two of the most well-received songs I did with the singer I was working recently with were Calvin Harris/Rihanna ‘We Found Love’ and Cascada ‘Everytime We Touch’... obviously totally different from the records using just an acoustic guitar, but good songs and easily recognisable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    just dont do a full lengh version of American Pie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Please don't play 'Wonderwall' if I'm in the room. It sets my teeth on edge!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Bat out of hell should be avoided.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    'Have A Nice Day' Stereophonics. Drives me nuts, and I'm a fan!
    thomasw88 said:
    I bet if you could could play a proper version of that all the way through it would go down well... anything less would be a bit awkward though. Unless you did it as a folk ballad or something :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Blackjack said:
    What songs shouldn't I play at an open mic?
    Songs that do not suit your (or your singer's) voice. If the vocal performance is strong and engaging, most audiences will forgive whatever liberties you take with the accompaniment.

@thecolourbox take note. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    edited February 2020
    Blackjack said:
    What songs shouldn't I play at an open mic?
    Songs that do not suit your (or your singer's) voice. If the vocal performance is strong and engaging, most audiences will forgive whatever liberties you take with the accompaniment.

@thecolourbox take note.
    That's why I don't do them  *

*Amongst other reasons
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Thanks guys, as always you are all very helpful! I just wasn’t sure if there were any songs that every open mic newbie tends to go for that would have everyone groaning “not that again”  or the equivalents of playing ‘Stairway’ in a guitar shop! 
    Blackjack said:
    Thanks guys, as always you are all very helpful! I just wasn’t sure if there were any songs that every open mic newbie tends to go for that would have everyone groaning “not that again”  or the equivalents of playing ‘Stairway’ in a guitar shop! 
    Wonderwall.

• p90fool said:

Sing it back is a great choice.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    The song I'd happily never hear again at an open mic or anywhere else is 'Hallelujah'.

Stuckfast said:
    The song I'd happily never hear again at an open mic or anywhere else is 'Hallelujah'.
    I love the original - but it’s a pity it was ever covered at all, let alone becoming one of the most covered songs.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    ICBM said:
    thomasw88 said:
    I bet if you could could play a proper version of that all the way through it would go down well... anything less would be a bit awkward though. Unless you did it as a folk ballad or something :).
    Worked out a full blown arrangement for two guitars with a mate I used to do duo gigs with years ago. Only attempted it once but it went down a storm!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    I try to avoid songs that have been done to death.   That's my litmus test :)