What kit, other than bass itself?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
edited February 2020 in Bass
Right, I think I’m almost there on getting a decent bass (see other thread), so becoming aware I might need some other kit. What’s good for practice? I already have a Yamaha THR10C, which I assume would work fine for simple plug & play at home. Do I need anything else at this point, like a decent compressor pedal or anything? 

Obviously I’m sorted for straps and leads etc
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Fuzz. Always fuzz.

To be specific, the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz, which is the most awesome thing you can buy for £25 or less in the known universe :).

Even if you find you don't like fuzz at all then it's actually a decent two-band EQ preamp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I would get a proper bass amp, or a modelling unit with bass models and some FRFR speakers or studio monitors.

Maybe a decent compressor?
  • I use my standard thr10 for bass and it works a treat. You can dial things in nicely with the editor and a splash or verb helps it sound bigger. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBM said:
    Fuzz. Always fuzz.

To be specific, the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz, which is the most awesome thing you can buy for £25 or less in the known universe :).

Even if you find you don't like fuzz at all then it's actually a decent two-band EQ preamp.
    I’ve never tried fuzz on bass, but hate it on guitar tbh. Will look up some demos though. I’m leaning more towards Motown & classic rock than anything since, but we’ll see 
  • A decent sized bass amp and a drummer....
    The Foxrox Octron in the classifieds
    A decent compressor
    stickyfiddle said:

I’ve never tried fuzz on bass, but hate it on guitar tbh. Will look up some demos though. I’m leaning more towards Motown & classic rock than anything since, but we’ll see 
    If you like Roger Glover then you should try it . He actually achieved his sound with a Marshall valve bass amp and overdriving the speakers as well, but it's more neighbour-friendly to use a fuzz pedal .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    ICBM said:
    Fuzz. 
    Especially good with RIC basses.  =)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

If you use a Super Fuzz it doesn't matter what bass you have :).

• +1 for a compressor. 
  • Fender Downtown Express
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    After trying shedloads of pedals I’ve slimmed down to comp (Maxon), OD (SL Drive), flanger (Boss Hi band) and delay (Boss DD-7).  Covers all the bases. The Hi band is instant sex for bass. For home play I use my Laney Cub 10, I used to feed it out to a 15” but recently just use it as a combo; works fine. The amp is the only essential, though if you’re going to slap, a comp would be very useful.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24183
    Amplitube Free. The SVT Classic model built in is lovely.

Compressor is always useful, as is a good EQ pedal so you can change things per tune if needed. I have my regular tone, and then 2 others. Far easier than faffing on the amp controls and then trying to put them back.

Roland Bass Cubes are excellent practice amps.

And for the stuff you’ve said you want to play, a large yellow car washing sponge to cut up to get under the strings at the bridge. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    Ok, definitely never EVER going to slap. I already have Helix Native for Mac so will likely start there then branch out into hardware that does whatever sounds I like the, err, sound of. 

And wilco on the sponge ;) Though I like the idea of the upside-down Jaguar mute as seen on the CS Sean Hurley P. But I'll stick with a sponge for now. Can you get black ones?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    edited March 2020
    The foam that comes in camera cases works well; you can purchase it, though it’s pricey considering what you need.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/outdoor-cases-pre-cut-SI-outdoor-case-500/dp/B00LP3VAIC
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24183
    Any foam will work. Some used to tape a face flannel over the top of the strings. The big yellow car sponges are just cheap!
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I would like to vote -1 (minus one) for a compressor. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    KKJale said:
    Entirely depends on band context and music played. I've played some material that has sounded crap with a compressor, and some in which it has been essential.

Also, different types of compressors have radically different effects on the tone. I use a comp in my current band, but found my old compressor just made things dull, and have instead borrowed an optical compressor from one of the guitarists and it sounds so much better.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    ICBM said:
    Fuzz. 

Yuk!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    A classical guitar is a great tool for learning bass techniques.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2020
    KKJale said:
    Entirely depends on band context and music played. *snip*
    Yep. OP plays Motown, classic rock and alt/indie. I'm gonna stick. I think that, early on, keeping all the dynamic range available and developing a cultured plucking/picking hand volume control technique is best