Samples - where to get them?

What's Hot
OK - not played with samples before - but being kicked into learning as I need a couple to play live, Ive actually learned how to use the function on my FA07.

So - the problem (going forward as Ive found what I need online).  Is there a resource somewhere - that hosts samples used in songs?

Sometimes you can just record the sample from the original - but other times that sample is in a mix so cant be isolated.  Is there a site or something I can use for this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    edited February 2020
    Is there a resource ... that hosts samples used in songs?
    On the majority of recent Roland instruments with user sampling capability, the place where user data is stored is removable media. In this instance, an SDHC card.

I don't know enough about the FA 07 to know whether it can upload third party sample library sounds or patches via USB.

Sometimes, you can just record the sample from the original - but other times that sample is in a mix so can't be isolated.  Is there a site or something I can use for this? 
    Some sounds are intentionally constructed from multiple samples in an attempt to improve "realism". e.g. A snare drum can be sampled at various levels of stick impact intensity. These samples can then be layered or cross-faded in response to trigger velocity information. The idea is to simulate the response of the original instrument under real world playing circumstances. 

Many of the FA 07's factory preset patches are created this way.  For example, on a tone wheel organ preset constructed from four PCM sources, one of the four is probably the key click. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited February 2020
    Thanks - but Im away of all that.

When I talk of samples, Im talking about "loops" of sounds such as the girls laugh at the start of "hungry like the wolf" then the panting sound in the middle break - or the rain and thunder sounds on "its raining men"  rather than PCM samples to make sounds like drums and such.  Another example is the siren sound in locked out of heaven by Bruno Mars 

These are "non musical" sounds used on original songs that Im trying to recreate in a covers band.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Make your own, otherwise it is cheating. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited February 2020
    ha Ha.... Knew that was coming.

Not cheating, as Im not the original artist trying to play it live, Im the poor sap thats been asked to play it "as per" the original and trying to work out how to do so.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Samples used on commercially released recordings will be subject to copyright. Unless the original artiste has made the isolated sounds available as a copyright-free sample library*, permission must be sought and monies paid.

* e.g. Vince Clarke - Lucky Bastard
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Noize
  • Samples used on commercially released recordings will be subject to copyright. Unless the original artiste has made the isolated sounds available as a copyright-free sample library*, permission must be sought and monies paid.

* e.g. Vince Clarke - Lucky Bastard
    but the whole song would be........
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    ha Ha.... Knew that was coming.

Not cheating, as Im not the original artist trying to play it live, Im the poor sap thats been asked to play it "as per" the original and trying to work out how to do so.
    Just teasing.
  • I know
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    the non musical samples are harder to track. Would probably be best to find your own equivalents, or make your own. record your own panting for the duran duran tune. hahahahaha
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    Here's the Locked out samples, scroll down till you see the zip file link 

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/464175/

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I managed to find those (or similar) on YouTube.
  • markdtymarkdty Frets: 3
    I've got the girl laugh from the start.....
  • Nice - I found that on You tube as well lol (that is I found the synth and vocal track with everything else removed and could grab the laugh - and the pants actually - from that).  Its more a case of if I need something, is there a resource to find it.

Ultimately I guess not.  Internet search and maybe something will show up, or create your own approximation seems to be the rule here.  
  • markdtymarkdty Frets: 3
    if you pull the MP3 of something you like and chop it up in audacity it generally works, although it's dependent on the quality of the YT vid of course.  I have some B movie samples from my 'rockabilly / cramps / Misfits' phase