Character notes of each Major Mode

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744

Modal Harmony.

If you don't already know, the below picture shows the character notes of each Major mode.

If a chord includes this character note of the mode, it emphasizes the mode being used.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is this from Peter Vogl's scale book?

I only ask because I've seen this kind of thing in his book, even though the Dorian mode doesn't have a raised 6th in it at all. It has a b3 and a b7...
    Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Depends whether you’re comparing it against major or natural minor. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Yes.

Looks like intervals are looked upon relative to Major, but characteristics relative to Aeolian.
    Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    viz said:
    Yes.

Looks like intervals are looked upon relative to Major, but characteristics relative to Aeolian.
    Well, my flow chart is:

major or minor?

If major, is it ionian or not?
    if not, is the 4 raised or the 7 lowered, or both? Lydian; mixolydian; lydian dominant

if minor, is it aeolian or not?
    if not, is the 6 raised, or the 2nd lowered, or both (dorian, phrygian or dorian b2), or is the 7th raised (harmonic minor) or the 6th and 7th raised (melodic minor (ascending))
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Is this from Peter Vogl's scale book?

I only ask because I've seen this kind of thing in his book, even though the Dorian mode doesn't have a raised 6th in it at all. It has a b3 and a b7...

It's from the Harmony Work book 1, by Barry Nettles, Berklee College.

It's referring to modal non-functional harmony not functional harmony.

In Modal harmony, when the character note(s) of a mode are present in a chord, they help define what mode is the key.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    viz said:
    viz said:
    Yes.

Well, my flow chart is:

major or minor?

If major, is it ionian or not?
    if not, is the 4 raised or the 7 lowered, or both? Lydian; mixolydian; lydian dominant

if minor, is it aeolian or not?
    if not, is the 6 raised, or the 2nd lowered, or both (dorian, phrygian or dorian b2), or is the 7th raised (harmonic minor) or the 6th and 7th raised (melodic minor (ascending))

Yes, we are all conditioned to hear in terms of Major and minor, but only since the last 200(ish) years.  :)