Best lyric app - IOS. With AirTurn support

JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
edited March 2020 in Live
despite my best efforts - Im now frontman for a five piece covers outfit - I do not have years of lead vocal experience and lyric recall - thus Im looking for a simple to use tool that gives me lyric scrolling - stop / start n song changes  ideally without touching Ipad . 
My ambition is to flawlessly perform without reference to visual aids but lyric memory is work in progress .  

I have access to an Airturn Digit II - which is a handheld miniature bluetooth device - n ideally Id like to use this initially . 

i realise that lyric apps are seen as poor show by many but without this type of tool Im not able to get a giggable setlist together for months .

im using Gig Hard app atm and whilst its ok for rehearsal - its too hands on for live use

all recommendations welcome ( apart from the learn the lyrics stuff ) as Ive got down 20 songs in 6 hours of rehearsals so far using an app ..  
And lineup want to add another 20 tunes this month n gig in April ... 

thanks in advance 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
  • I use setlist helper, with a bluetooth footswitch to scroll and turn, as I play guitar and sing. 

I don't very often need to refer to it, but it's nice to have and I don't think punters give a toss either way. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    I use OnSong to manage my written-down music. It's much better than paper, notebooks, etc. It will store PDFs as well as tabs and charts that you import or type in yourself. So even photos of magazine pages or handwritten scribbled lines of stave are fair game. 

You can customise the display to include or drop the chords in your tunes, change the font and style of the display for performance purposes without having to retype anything, sync with other iPads (if your bandmates have them). Transposition is straightforward and reversible - including making it easy for people playing transposing instruments. There's a metronome facility and you can store the audio for a song with the tab if you need to - playing along as you learn it. 

Songs can be organised into books (one song can be in more than one book) and into setlists (a great performance aid). You can broadcast your screen to another, larger one (karaoke-style). And you can scroll the display and select the next song using an AirTurn pedal.

I don't actually do any of those things apart from organise my music with it, but it's all there and has lots of fans. I'd be lost without it now. 
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    My band uses bandhelper - http://www.bandhelper.com/

It was one of the few apps that would work on both iOS and Android as some members of the band had iPad and others had android phones or tablets.

From TheBigDipper's description of OnSong, Bandhelper can do all of that too. There's a monthly subscription of about $3 a month (for solo artist it is only $1.20) but it is well worth it. I think it supports a foot controller however I don't use one. There is the ability to get the lyrics to automatically scroll according to the duration of the song though.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Another OnSong user here.  I like the fact that it reformats nicely into landscape mode.  That way I can have the text at a much bigger font size, which allows me to have the iPad mounted really low so that it's less noticeable to the punters.  

They've just introduced a premium subscription membership, but I don't use that - just the basic app has more than enough features for me (including the all-important DropBox backup integration)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Onsong is the one!

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I'm a ForScore user/advocate.  I write out lyrics on my computer into a suitable format, save a pdf to my dropbox and import them from there.  I can build setlists from there and make reasonable annotations on the iPad with ease.

I pair it with an iRig BlueTurn pedal, which is super easy to set up.  It's not the most robust thing as it's made of plastic - but it doesn't get hit with anger unlike the actual board.  It lives on a separate smaller board with my IEM amp.