You are handed a guitar and asked to play something....

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
Inspired by the "I'm hopeless when anyone is watching me.." thread by @grappagreen, what do you play when someone hands you a guitar.  It could be an acoustic guitar or an electric.  How do you get out of that one?

I thought about this several years ago and have the following repertoire for such emergencies:

* A flatpick version of 'Wildwood Flower' in the key of G.

* A self written flatpick tune in the key of C.

* A self written song in the key of A. 

The song has a chorus and I start by 'teaching' the audience the chorus and asking them to join in.  Also I ask that the audience clap in time to the flatpicked tunes hinting that it helps my timing and their input is needed.  Flatpicking in open keys has the advantage that accidental strikes of adjacent strings actually helps so I adopt a loose flexible style for those tunes.  Tuning the guitar is now easier as I use the App on my phone which gets it close enough.  This was not always the case.....

I am always on the lookout for ideas on what to include in my solo repertoire.  As it always includes an unfamiliar guitar or guitar and amp, my lack of ability and the general thinness of the guitar sound tends to leave me somewhat exposed.  So the question is: what do you play when you get lumbered into this situation?  
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Animal noises
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    About 20 years ago a very good drummer said to me that if you pass a guitar to most guitarists and ask them to play something they’ll almost certainly go widdle widdle widdle widdle and rarely play any recognisable tune. Discounting for a moment that drummers never play anything tuneful he did have a point. A lot of guitarists play solos and fills and rhythms but don’t have much, if anything, of a repertoire of listenable tunes. Some do, particularly classical players, but very many in mainstream music don’t. Often it’s because they have no interest or motive to learn tunes that can be played unaccompanied. Fair enough. But most of us have been in that situation where someone says “ Oh, you play guitar! Can you play something for me/us please?”. Ummm........
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I instantly forget songs whenever I have a guitar in a "crowd" of 2 or more people.

That said, I could muddle through:

- half a world away by Oasis
    - Papa's taking us to the zoo tomorrow
    - So long, Marianne, even though I can only remember 2 verses.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Postman Pat
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    A fingerstyle piece almost always. More recognizable than just chords, & more fleshed out & meaningful than doing a little solo.

Usually something by S&G or an arrangement of an Adele/Sinatra song.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Electric - Intro to John Mayer’s arrangement of Michael Jackson’s ‘Human Nature’

Acoustic - Intro to ‘The Last Steam Engine Train’ by John Fahey
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    I like to play something that has a tune, a bassline and some chord structure so it actually sounds like a bit of music. Just take any song you know the chords to then work out how to play the melody over the top ... some are easier than others. I got versions of Somewhere over the rainbow, Cavatina, While my guitar gently weeps, Wonderful life, A day in the life 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Electric would probably be the rhythm part of Ever Fallen In Love? and Wave Of Mutilation.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    On acoustic

Babe I'm Gonna leave You
    Don't Think Twice It's Alright

On Electric:
    A bunch of cliched blues rock licks. 
    Sometimes the Always on the Run riff. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    edited March 2020
    Generally my best attempt at one of the Chic tunes... everyone loves Nile..

Oh and of course it's something that's actually playable given my previous post :)
  • Acoustic guitar it'd normally be something open chord based or a fingerstyle thing. Electric something on the overdrive channel, a riff or something.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    Although it’s not material I gig I do play quite a lot of acoustic and electric thumbpicking stuff for my own pleasure so can draw on that if asked to play a tune. Probably things like Yes Ma’am, Sidewalks of Bordeaux, etc. And there’s always the good old standby Windy and Warm. It depends who’s asking ;)

I also like @Danny1969’s approach of combining melody with chords and a bass line - like jazzers do.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    First thing I do is check out the guitar, probably starting with arpeggiating Am7 at the 5th fret, correcting the tuning, and trying the harmonics. Then I play a finger picked piece suited to how the instrument sounds and feels. Then I hand the guitar back.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Finger picked versions of either Nobody Knows you When You're Down and Out and/or Fly Me To the Moon. 
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    My goto at the moment would be 'Starman', only because it's the only song I know from start to finish! 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Electric? An Cat Dubh. It doesn't need the delay, just a nice clean/edge of breakup tone. Sounds good on acoustic, too. 

Acoustic? Horizons. Or Blackbird. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    House of the rising sun. I know but its not as cheesy as stairway lol..
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Stairway...

:o
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Philtre said:
    Stairway...

I can do the intro. I'm bolloxed after that!  :#
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    CeeJay said:
    Philtre said:
    Stairway...

I can do the intro. I'm bolloxed after that!  :#
    I can't even do the intro.

Seriously, I go for either "Zoot Allures" or "What's New in Baltimore" by FZ.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom