#thatguythatmakescables

What's Hot
PracticalPatchPracticalPatch Frets: 8
edited August 2022 in Made in the UK
This thread is now cleared - check out www.practicalpatch.co.uk for more info!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Nice - look great - welcome to the forum :)
  • Nice - look great - welcome to the forum :)
    Thank you! Will do my best to make an effort to have a good look around tonight
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Welcome to the forum and my annoying questions lol 

I was looking for a custom length TRS patch cable recently but the jacks that were on offer were too big. What would be your smallest jack you do that isn’t a pancake one? 

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    Welcome..... order placed!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PracticalPatchPracticalPatch Frets: 8
    edited May 2022
    rsvmark said:
    www.practicalpatch.co.uk
    edited May 2022

I was looking for a custom length TRS patch cable recently but the jacks that were on offer were too big. What would be your smallest jack you do that isn’t a pancake one? 

www.practicalpatch.co.uk

I'd like to ask an annoying question as well! I am sure I set up email notifications so I wouldn't miss anything on this forum and I haven't been getting any! If anyone can chip in as to what I need to do I would be grateful! 

Regarding the smallest possible TRS jack all, I hold "secretly" is a few as you say, TRS pancake jacks, but they are off similar thickness to that of hicon/mxr etc. Was it the thickness that was giving you issue or compatibility with the pedal itself? The lowest profile TRS jack would be from KMMK Solutions, SP550-S Square plugs solve all sorts of compatibility issues, they are slimmer than most solderless of the back or side of a pedal. They will also fit side by side unlike pancakes on devices such as Strymon. I'll try to post a photo.... 

This kind of thing is exactly what goes on behind the scenes for me, if I can help someone out I will. I would ask that you have a look around as there should be some people that do this connector type on cable in the UK. See what you make of the prices and then if you are willing to wait a bit I can order what's required and get it done for you for hopefully less! Always willing to pay a bit of time forward without compromising on quality. 

Cheers! 
    Pancakes would be fine but the width of them don’t allow them sitting next to each other in my Boss ES5 switcher. Well not the ones I’ve tried. Bit annoying of boss really for that slight oversight :( 
    edited March 2020

I'd like to ask an annoying question as well! I am sure I set up email notifications so I wouldn't miss anything on this forum and I haven't been getting any! If anyone can chip in as to what I need to do I would be grateful! 

Regarding the smallest possible TRS jack all, I hold "secretly" is a few as you say, TRS pancake jacks, but they are off similar thickness to that of hicon/mxr etc. Was it the thickness that was giving you issue or compatibility with the pedal itself? The lowest profile TRS jack would be from KMMK Solutions, SP550-S Square plugs solve all sorts of compatibility issues, they are slimmer than most solderless of the back or side of a pedal. They will also fit side by side unlike pancakes on devices such as Strymon. I'll try to post a photo.... 

This kind of thing is exactly what goes on behind the scenes for me, if I can help someone out I will. I would ask that you have a look around as there should be some people that do this connector type on cable in the UK. See what you make of the prices and then if you are willing to wait a bit I can order what's required and get it done for you for hopefully less! Always willing to pay a bit of time forward without compromising on quality. 

Cheers! 
    Pancakes would be fine but the width of them don’t allow them sitting next to each other in my Boss ES5 switcher. Well not the ones I’ve tried. Bit annoying of boss really for that slight oversight  
    It's painfully common sadly. Its also something solderless cannot handle and why we tend to see pedals in loops of Boss switchers or any up on risers, so long 1/4 straight can stick out the things.

The further bad news is... pause, I'll just check an email with KMMK....

"Hi Chris,>> >>>> >>>>>> The SP400 won't work on the ES5 and ES8 from boss. The SPS4>> will."

Yeah, so sadly boss won't accommodate the square and KMMK does not do a TRS SPS4! 

A potential solution, however, and it may also be an unsightly/impractical one. Would be to use a right angle TRS Neutrik / Rean for the ES5 end.  

One of these would fit between your other plugs however if using a flat board, then the cable exiting the barrel/boot and the bulk of the assembly itself will be pointing vertically upwards, so like a little flag pole behind the ES5 display I think? Of course if you are using something like an angled Pedaltrain, then there could be enough play there to have the right angle jack sit under the ES5 toward the floor. 

I'm assuming you are using this switching your amplifier? Again I will be glad to help and have both the Neutrik TRS and Rean in stock. You'll, of course, need to consider how everything will hook up. My gut here is saying you maybe have a TRS patch bay on your board and need the ES5 to meet that to then go onto the amp? I could be completely wrong! 

and in addition..... I have owned and wired up my own Boss MS-3 before. I know what you're going through!! 
    TRS cables were needed for my revival drive switcher interface. And yes you are totally correct, I’ve had to accept them sticking up as I had to use right Angles. It’s ok but not as tidy as I’d like it but I try not to get too ocd about stuff lol. 

Really appreciate your responses though
    edited May 2022
    Hear you loud and clear! Sometimes just gotta go with what works, it's so unlikely your right angles sticking up could suffer at the back of an ES5, you've got nothing to worry about there at all. 

My pleasure man, if it wasn't for being able to talk to anyone or everyone I wouldn't be able to do what I do! Are you enjoying the Revival Drive? I haven't yet had a chance to plug into any Origin Effects stuff, I'll need to escape the countryside soon! 
    Hear you loud and clear! Sometimes just gotta go with what works, it's so unlikely your right angles sticking up could suffer at the back of an ES5, you've got nothing to worry about there at all. 

My pleasure man, if it wasn't for being able to talk to anyone or everyone I wouldn't be able to do what I do! Are you enjoying the Revival Drive? I haven't yet had a chance to plug into any Origin Effects stuff, I'll need to escape the countryside soon! 
    Revival Drive is great fun. Only really gets fully unlocked when one uses the optional footswitch or switcher interface in my case. Astounding pedal and have been waiting for something like this to come along for ages. I still have my compact version which I was hoping to keep but I’ve seen a fuzz I’d like which may make me have to move it on :(
    edited May 2022
    www.practicalpatch.co.uk
    Wow that’s beyond me already lol 
    edited May 2022
    Wow that’s beyond me already lol 
    www.practicalpatch.co.uk
    edited May 2022
    www.practicalpatch.co.uk
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    rsvmark said:
    Hey man, I think I sent you an email yesterday evening? If correct your Shortie cables are good to go and I'll be packaging today and shipping tomorrow, thanks very much for the support! 
    Apologies. Safely arrived on Tuesday! Very prompt - ta. Getting a run out at Fridays gig!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • rsvmark said:
    rsvmark said:
    Hey man, I think I sent you an email yesterday evening? If correct your Shortie cables are good to go and I'll be packaging today and shipping tomorrow, thanks very much for the support! 
    Apologies. Safely arrived on Tuesday! Very prompt - ta. Getting a run out at Fridays gig!
    Excellent :+1: again thanks very much and have a great gig! 
    edited May 2022
    www.practicalpatch.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JimJim Frets: 20
    Love the work you do! Looking to place an order once I'm back at work after all this. Just wondering if you have examples of the choices, e.g. green braiding over a yellow cable, or the difference between yellow and luminescent yellow?
    Too many choice to decide!
    Also, one final question, what is the cable "footwear"? Is it the little coloured "crown"?
    Thanks!
    edited May 2022
    www.practicalpatch.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom