SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Rickenbacker Bass Bridge/Tailpiece Wanted

What's Hot
Anyone got a spare Rickenbacker style bass tailpiece/bridge?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    On what exact instrument and issue are you working? There are bridges that can perform the functions of a RIC bass bridge with almost none of the disadvantages.

If the problem is a lifting or broken RIC tailpiece, you could use the ICBM remedy. i.e. A bent steel string anchoring plate, hidden beneath the warping RIC hardware. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Hondo HRB-2S...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

I have now viewed that Discussion and commented. 

A genuine RIC bridge/tailpiece is going to cost far more than the Hondo II bass.

FWIIW, somebody I know locally has a Hipshot RIC replacement bridge that he keeps hoping I will buy. Perhaps, I should ask him to name a price? ;)

The LeoQuan BadAss is a direct replacement intended to fit 4001/4003 basses. If the top of the Hondo II body beneath the stock bridge/tailpiece is flat, the BadAss should be a doddle to install. Certainly, nothing for the Brand R "purists" to get upset about!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    edited March 2020
    I have now viewed that Discussion and commented. 

A genuine RIC bridge/tailpiece is going to cost far more than the Hondo II bass.

FWIIW, somebody I know locally has a Hipshot RIC replacement bridge that he keeps hoping I will buy. Perhaps, I should ask him to name a price?

The LeoQuan BadAss is a direct replacement intended to fit 4001/4003 basses. If the top of the Hondo II body beneath the stock bridge/tailpiece is flat, the BadAss should be a doddle to install. Certainly, nothing for the Brand R "purists" to get upset about!

That's a no - the Badass is not a direct replacement for a Ric; it's a 5-screw Fender fitting. The Hondo Ric copy has the tailpiece/mute troughs like a real Ric.

Hipshot do a Ric replacement bridge, but it's a bit marmite. I'm not a fan: I think it looks too bland and it introduces other issues to the one and a half ones it fixes. I've had them on Rics and reverted to stock.

This is a Hondo I had, part-way through restoration, with a Hipshot bridge on it.

If you keep your eyes open you can pick up real Ric bridge/tailpiece asssemblies for under £100; it may be that, with the new V2 unit out (£190 to buy), there will be more appear on the used market.

Hondos are towards the bottom-end of the scale of 70s Ric copies, only surpassed (underpassed?) by the Kay ones; they were MIK and had plywood bodies. I've had two, rightmost in this picture.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2020
    prowla said:
    Hipshot do a Ric replacement bridge but it's a bit marmite. I'm not a fan: I think it looks too bland and it introduces other issues to the one and a half ones it fixes. I've had them on Rics and reverted to stock.
    This probably explains why my contact wants rid of his Hipshot. 

prowla said:
    Allparts do a Ric copy one.
    That is a very good suggestion. 

Another possibility is that somebody who has upgraded an Asian "R" copy bass has the original bridge for sale.

I have seen BadAss 1 and Babicz bridges fitted to RICs but always in combination with an adapter plate. 
    I've had a Badass 2 on a Ric; I had a shim made to cover the mute bay. But the thing is the Ric's bridge recess sits under the Badass's bass plate, so you have to fill or pack it.
    The current Chickenbacker bridges don't fit a real Ric nor a vintage Japanese copy.
    prowla said:
    The current Chickenbacker bridges don't fit a real Ric nor a vintage Japanese copy.
    Thanks for that - however, interested in what capacity they don’t fit?

prowla said:
    The bridge on them is where the mute assembly is on a real Ric, so it’s out by half an inch or so. 
    The Chicken backers have a longer scale and a longer body. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    prowla said:
    The bridge on them is where the mute assembly is on a real Ric, so it’s out by half an inch or so. 
    The Chicken backers have a longer scale and a longer body. 
    Ta! :)

Well, I’ve drawn a bit of a blank so far...

@Funkfingers knows someone who *may* part with a used Hipshot in a few weeks, otherwise I’ve not turned anything up on Facebook, eBay, etc.

All that’s on the horizon to date is a used Allparts bridge/tailpiece in the USA (with a seller who’s happy to post).

Ignore me, my friend. fendergibson has declared me an arsehole in another Discussion. I obviously know absolutely nothing about music, equipment or repairs and modifications.
    Well, well, well...
    I have a Hondo bridge/tailpiece unit in my parts box.
    It's got a couple of mm tail-lift, as you might expect; these things shouldn't have heavy gauge strings on them.
    Not sure about value, as i tend to hoard rather than sell, but I am looking for decent (black) Strat neck/middle pickups and/or an SD JB SH4 pickup for a project...

Ignore me, my friend. fendergibson has declared me an arsehole in another Discussion. I obviously know absolutely nothing about music, equipment or repairs and modifications.

Hmmm - I wouldn't have described you as that, and I'm pretty sure you know more than nothing on the subject! :-)

That said, I have on occasion been described as an "artist", though I suspect it may have had a silent p-1-5-5 prepended...
    prowla said:
    fendergibson has declared me an arsehole in another Discussion. 
    Hmmm - I wouldn't have described you as that and I'm pretty sure you know more than nothing on the subject! :-)
    No sweat. fendergibson appears to be in the habit of dishing out personal abuse. The aspect that offended me was not his assertion but the absence of either supporting evidence or a counterargument to whatever it was I had posted that triggered his response.

prowla said:
    Well, well, well... I have a Hondo bridge/tailpiece unit in my parts box.
    We have a winner. :) 

prowla said:
    I am looking for decent (black) Strat neck/middle pickups and/or an SD JB SH4 pickup for a project.
    If H7 has none of those pickups to trade, I certainly do. The Hondo II part would end up with H7 eventually.

@prowla - that’s fantastic! :) 

However, I currently have nothing which matches your requirements pickup-wise. :(

@Funkfingers - that’s a very kind offer... :)

:-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    :-)

Ain’t that the truth! :)

I was thinking more of Laurel & Hardy

Is it fitted yet?