Pls suggest... what mixer for 2 x acoustic guitars, 2 x voice with FX?

TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
I'm now officially fed up with attending Open Mics with my mate and getting a crap sound balance and poor vocal sound/no FX. They're busy enough that a proper setup before playing just isn't realistic. The best sounds seem to come from singer/guitarists using a box on the floor for their guitar and voice, setting up their own balance and FX as they prefer. We can't do that as there are two of us and we need four inputs, two for mics and two for guitars.

So, we're contemplating doing it ourselves and just feeding the PA a stereo signal (or even mono). The thought is that we just ask for a flat EQ setting on the desk and no FX. I play my acoustic through a K&K Pure Mini and into a K&K Preamp. He plays acoustic through a piezo and has an onboard preamp. I sing, and he's starting to dip his toes into backup vox. We'd like to add a bit of reverb or delay to the voices. 

Good idea? If so, what mixer? Bad idea? Why? Got a better idea? Ta! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yamaha MG10 or 12 are neat little mixers.

Got nice fx built in, inc. a compressor on some channels and very simple to use.  

The XU versions also act as USB audio interfaces,
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited March 2020
    Zed 10 fx by Allen and Heath is what I use for this . My only objection to the Yamaha is the external power supply for no other reason as it’s something else to break or get lost, otherwise great little desk.

would avoid Behringer Tapco Alessis etc as they don’t sound as good as the A&H or Yamaha pre amps tend to get scratchy and effects noisy.

Also I would add you don’t need a digital desk for what you are asking to do, 

As to whether it’s a good idea just for open mics it’s upto you. Honestly if I was running one and you turned up with a set up like that wouldn’t be too impressed due to the time factor of getting it set up . I would suggest you set up your own open mic so you can run it how you want or look further afield for open mics with better equipment and engineers. Some good ones in Glastonbury and Petherton spring to mind
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited March 2020
    Zed 10 fx by Allen and Heath is what I use for this . My only objection to the Yamaha is the external power supply for no other reason as it’s something else to break or get lost, otherwise great little desk.

would avoid Behringer Tapco Alessis etc as they don’t sound as good as the A&H or Yamaha pre amps tend to get scratchy and effects noisy.

As to whether it’s a good idea just for open mics it’s upto you. Honestly if I was running one and you turned up with a set up like that wouldn’t be too impressed due to the time factor of getting it set up . I would suggest you set up your own open mic so you can run it how you want or look further afield for open mics with better equipment and engineers. Some good ones in Glastonbury and Petherton spring to mind
    the newer ones have the internal psu so much easier.

I used a MGC16ccx for about 6 years of full band gigs,  and have just bought the later version MG16XU.  It's great.  
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722

Re setup: I hear you. 

• shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 104

Agree with all of this - except - I used a small Tapco desk for years and grew quite fond of it.

Apart from everything else the Yamaha and A&H will outlast others if looked after. Good engineering still has a place.