Acoustic Archtop guitars - what to look out for, what to avoid?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
I have a generalised hankering for an acoustic archtop (no need for electric leanings) 

Any pointers for things to look out for (used is good, but not essential) ? Any things to avoid? 

Where should I start, beyond typing “acoustic archtop” into eBay? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Big old Jazz box? Smaller body?
    I’m no expert but I like the old smaller body carved top Gibsons, L-30 L-37 etc. Gibsons other brand stuff generally had pressed tops which differ in tone a surprising amount 

I also like the modern Epiphone Masterbilt series. Especially the round-hole, it reminds me of the old Kay Deluxe which almost sounds banjo-like. I have a particular bent towards county blues which these guitars are more suited to These guitars differ greatly from big and/or higher end jazz guitars which I know little about.

Theres bracing to consider. Parallel vs X. 

I know nothing about high end stuff
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Is there a sound in your head that's appealing, Tim? My personal experience is of owning a couple (a Godin 5th Ave and a '30s Kalamazoo) and just thinking "I ought to like this but....I just don't get it". But that's because I was starting from the point of view of just fancying an archtop as opposed to chasing a clear sound.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Lewy said:
    Is there a sound in your head that's appealing, Tim? My personal experience is of owning a couple (a Godin 5th Ave and a '30s Kalamazoo) and just thinking "I ought to like this but....I just don't get it". But that's because I was starting from the point of view of just fancying an archtop as opposed to chasing a clear sound.
    In terms of a specific sound I’d like it to look cool :-) 

Truthfully, I don’t know how I’d take to a gritty-middly sound versus a fuller response - content to try reasonable examples of either - in situations like this I’m always drawn to used so that I can afford to experiment and chop it if it’s not enjoyable 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Are you after the tones, or a beater ?  (hint: non-laminate tones costs a fortune)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    The Loar are a good starting point. Their all solid wood versions can be had for a steal secondhand (I sold one for about £250 if I recall). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I quite fancy putting a CC pickup in an acoustic Godin. Not that I need any other guitars, or that I can't get a similar sound with what I've got. But I like the look of that bar PU

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not looking for high-end no 

Yet again I rue being in a town with no meaningful trying-interesting-guitars options 
    Red ones are better. 
    Loar, Gretsch, Godin then or a beaten up old ES125

Feedback
  • Godin 5th Avenue are great. Light and resonant which is surprisingly rare. Most affordable archtops don’t sound particularly great without an amp because they’re built with thick laminates.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Godin 5th Avenue are great. Light and resonant which is surprisingly rare. Most affordable archtops don’t sound particularly great without an amp because they’re built with thick laminates.
    This, and not always as thick as you think. Think Loar are carved (in China) rather than laminate.

Feedback
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70
    I would definitely look into older Epiphones and Vegas. Own an Epiphone myself, fantastic instrument - extremely even timbre across the registers. I'd avoid most of the older German-made ones.
    Cheers
    Red ones are better. 
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
     Forgive me if im teaching my grandmother etc. at this stage but heres my take. As one who has had quite a few and loves my Banner headstock L50
     (1) the cheaper ones can sound good but not if you try and string and strum them like just another guitar 
    (2) Their tops need to be driven, so heavier strings, if its just for acoustic some bronze content works well ( altho not so goodthrough a pickup ) 
    (3) if you use a pick, try a thicker one with a rounded edge. Thin picks make all archtops sound tinny. 
    (4) Parallel bracing tends to produce a middly , bluesier tone. In my experience x bracing is ‘sweeter’

The good acoustic ones really are things of visual and aural beauty, but the market is v. small so resale is hard work 

Only opinions though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    jakeolly said:
     Forgive me if im teaching my grandmother etc. at this stage but heres my take. As one who has had quite a few and loves my Banner headstock L50
     (1) the cheaper ones can sound good but not if you try and string and strum them like just another guitar 
    (2) Their tops need to be driven, so heavier strings, if its just for acoustic some bronze content works well ( altho not so goodthrough a pickup ) 
    (3) if you use a pick, try a thicker one with a rounded edge. Thin picks make all archtops sound tinny. 
    (4) Parallel bracing tends to produce a middly , bluesier tone. In my experience x bracing is ‘sweeter’

The good acoustic ones really are things of visual and aural beauty, but the market is v. small so resale is hard work 

Only opinions though 
    Thank you 
    Red ones are better.