Rift PR18 - Celestion Blue vs WGS G12C?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
edited March 2020 in Amps
Has anyone here tried a Celestion Blue in a Rift PR18? Just wondering how it would compare with the WGS G12C that’s in mine. Cheers. 
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
    @RiftAmps any thoughts? Many thanks.  
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    A PR18 produces nearly 30w at full
    crank, so will quite easily blow a Celestion Blue (I’ve done it!).

I recommend either the WGS G12A or Blackhawk for that amp, if you want Alnico.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:

Thanks Chris, I’m glad I asked before proceeding! I guess the same would apply to the WGS Black and Blue 15 watts?

And would the alnico speakers you’ve recommended sound any less bright than the G12C? Many thanks again. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2570
    tFB Trader
    I don't know anything about the WGS G12A or Blackhawk , but if I was looking at celestion the Cream Alnico is smooth, smoother than a blue and will handle the power like a champ
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

Thanks Chris, I’m glad I asked before proceeding! I guess the same would apply to the WGS Black and Blue 15 watts?

And would the alnico speakers you’ve recommended sound any less bright than the G12C? Many thanks again. 
    Can’t use the Black and Blue either!

The G12C takes ages to break in, then it really sweetens up, play it loud and for a long time before swapping out, it’s worth it.

They do a smooth cone version called the G12C/s that tames the top end straight out of the box
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 452
    Fane a60?
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    vanlooy1 said:
    Fane a60?
    This. Much more like a Blue than a Cream. Fantastic speakers.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Celestion Gold 10" in a standard 12" combo box. No idea how it'll sound in the Rift (probably excellent) but it sounds tremendous in a mate's Fender HRD.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

The G12C takes ages to break in, then it really sweetens up, play it loud and for a long time before swapping out, it’s worth it.

They do a smooth cone version called the G12C/s that tames the top end straight out of the box
    Thanks for all the comments fellas.

And thanks Chris @RiftAmps, you may be right that the G12C is just not broken in yet. Will try to be patient for a while rather than swap it out in haste!  :)
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

Hey Chris @RiftAmps just a quick question if I may. Just wondering, if the Black & Blue is OK for the new Americana 20w with 6L6s, how come the PR18w with 6V6s is too much for that speaker? I’m probably showing my ignorance of how valve amps with different circuits work... Many thanks. 
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

Hey Chris @RiftAmps just a quick question if I may. Just wondering, if the Black & Blue is OK for the new Americana 20w with 6L6s, how come the PR18w with 6V6s is too much for that speaker? I’m probably showing my ignorance of how valve amps with different circuits work... Many thanks. 

Because just like the modern Celestion Blues the B&B actually has a 25w voice coil - they say they're 15w to keep them 'vintage correct'.

The Americana produces 20w clean, and just under 25w at full crank whereas the PR18 does nearly 30w.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:

Because just like the modern Celestion Blues the B&B actually has a 25w voice coil - they say they're 15w to keep them 'vintage correct'.

The Americana produces 20w clean, and just under 25w at full crank whereas the PR18 does nearly 30w.
    Many thanks Chris. Out of interest can you do the Americana with a two-knob reverb? Cheers. 
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

Many thanks Chris. Out of interest can you do the Americana with a two-knob reverb? Cheers. 

I wish! Just not enough space on the control panel I'm afraid
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• MtBMtB Frets: 921
    edited March 2020
    No one has mentioned the Celestion Ruby in this conversation, at 35w is it worth considering?