SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Friedman BE100dlx/JJ/50dlx

What's Hot
spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
edited March 2020 in Amps £
Hello all -- I've decided that I need to try out the only boutique high-gainers that I've not yet dipped a toe into: Friedmans.

Hit me up - particularly interested in the new BE-100 DLX or BE-50 DLX, but also the JJ and/or Smallbox.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    BE 50 dlx is amazing, one of my fave amps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    So everyone says.  I’m umming and ahhing between that and the BE100 DLX - anyone played both and care to comment?
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited March 2020
    I gave up on Friedman amps before the deluxe amps came out so I haven’t tried those two out. Owned pretty much all of the others though (but not the runts )
  • wire_twerpwire_twerp Frets: 6
    edited March 2020
    @rockmonster ;;

If you don't mind me asking - why did you give up on them? What did you move on to?
    I thought they were very expensive for what they are (a modded Marshall) I only gig the amps I own and I pretty much sound the same whatever amp I use lol! I used to use EVH 100’s and have gone full circle back to an EVH 100 with matching 4x12!
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    I second @rockmonster thoughts. They are pretty expensive for what they do. If you like a more polished - polite Marshall tone you will love them. I've owned the BE100 and BE50 Deluxe. The 50 was marginally better due to the response control which helped tighten the low end - basically a negative feedback control.

To me they don't give you that gnarl which a Marshall, either modded or not gives you. Some prefer the more polished tone which the Friedman's give. 
    All super helpful, thanks.  I'm pretty covered for polished Marshall tone with the Bogner XTC 20th, and for raw Marshall grind with the Gower modded '83 2203...but I'm still intrigued!
  • Thanks!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Friedman JJ is the best amp I've ever owned. 
    Bump!
    Bump - make my self-isolation better!
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I have a Runt 20, it’s not for sale but I love it.
    Would recommend if you can find one. It’s cheaper than the other Friedmans, has a basic but excellent sounding clean channel, and the dirt channel goes from classic crunch to hair metal and more.

I agree about the more polished Marshall assessment. Less barky, but more mix ready, IMO. 
    Bump - particularly keen on a BE100DLX or JJ :)
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited March 2020
    I had a BE50 DLX and moved it on quickly. 

Agree with the other comments that it’s too polished and smooth tone wise so for me   Doesn’t  have the snarl that you’d expect from a modded Marshall tone 

Main reason I moved it on so quickly was that it’s way too expensive for what it is and what it actually does.  It’s a massive premium for what is a modded Marshall. Much better value elsewhere 
    edited March 2020

Agree with the other comments that it’s too polished and smooth tone wise so for me   Doesn’t  have the snarl that you’d expect from a modded Marshall tone 

Main reason I moved it on so quickly was that it’s way too expensive for what it is and what it actually does.  It’s a massive premium for what is a modded Marshall. Much better value elsewhere 
    (Not about the BE50 but Friedman in general) THIS!
    I’m actually using and enjoying my DSL100HR HR
    (£399 new)and I prefer it over my PT100!!!
    (the emperor’s new clothes!)
  • I had a BE50 DLX and moved it on quickly. 

The Marshall Satriani model is also a great amp. Think you had one at some stage?  

The Marshall Satriani model is also a great amp. Think you had one at some stage?  
    I’ve had two. They are ok in fact much better than the stock 410 IMHO but they only come alive when properly cranked! 
    Bump!
  • James1981James1981 Frets: 150
    If you like the modded Marshall style sound then little touches a Splawn! More visceral and not polite like a Friedman but oh so much chugging fun. With the right settings they are chest pounding good it’s an amp you can feel! Nice cleans too, but it’s the lead which really kicks. I have a nitro 50 with kt88’s and it’s grin inducing every step of the way and has the added bonus of an effects loop level control which can safely act as an attenuator with a simple volume pedal. Just a thought.....