acoustic humidifiers - yay or nay?

domforrdomforr Frets: 326
I'm never quite sure whether to put some of these on my acoustics, or if they are basically unnecessary in the UK? I leave my guitars on stand for easy access, so is there any merit in attaching one in the soundhole to avoid excessive moistures or dryness, or do they only really work when in a case?

I'd say they are stored in reasonably consistent climate, but I have no idea whether it's too moist or too dry. I do have issues with tuning stability though and wondered if this might be a contributor?

Cheers,

Dom
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bought some moisture meters that I keep right next to my non-cased Acoustics. The relative humidity in my house is 46-50% and I think this is pretty good. Going much below 40% will dry out and then a decent delta will ruin guitars. Floridians with Air Con can suffer a lot. I think as long as you're monitoring it it should be fine.

For the tuning stability check the nut slots and also temperature in your room, just in case.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Great, thanks. Out of interest, which meter are you using? 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    edited March 2020
    domforr said:
    @domforr ;I’ve got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GWL6ZFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I calibrated it using the method described here https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/06/how-to-calibrate-a-hygrometer-humidity-sensor-using-the-salt-test/ and it came out spot on. But given the cost I may just have been lucky. The way I see it I don’t need spot on accuracy (in fact in the U.K. it’s arguable whether I need one at all but that wasn’t the question ) but can use it to track large changes in humidity. As it also has a thermometer an additional benefit is that I can use it to “prove” to my wife that she has the heating too high. 

Great, thanks. Will order one of those and see how I go :-)
  • westfordwestford Frets: 553
    I’ve got a soundhole humidifier and use it occasionally for a couple of days when I notice any fret sprout starting, it does the trick. It’s only one of my guitars that ever seems to need it. Don’t have issues with tuning stability*, so can’t help you there.

*unless you count my kids messing with the tuning pegs
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    I have a dehumidifier with a readout in the room where my acoustics are sometimes in, sometimes out of their cases. I also bought one of those cheap temp./humidity ones from amazon. The two don't always agree, but it's always between 45-55%, which is what Martin recommend, so I've not felt the need to do anything else.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    drofluf said:
    domforr said:
    @domforr ;I’ve got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GWL6ZFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I calibrated it using the method described here https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/06/how-to-calibrate-a-hygrometer-humidity-sensor-using-the-salt-test/ and it came out spot on. But given the cost I may just have been lucky. The way I see it I don’t need spot on accuracy (in fact in the U.K. it’s arguable whether I need one at all but that wasn’t the question ) but can use it to track large changes in humidity. As it also has a thermometer an additional benefit is that I can use it to “prove” to my wife that she has the heating too high. 

I've got one of these too (which I think I learnt about here) which I keep on just for security - but in over a year's use it hasn't been outside of the acceptable range. Like others, I haven't had or felt the need to do anything else.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I have one guitar that I keep in its case with those humidity control packs because a meter showed that it was pretty common that I was getting lower humidity than is recommended 

if you’re still in 45-55 range in winter when the heating comes on then you’re probably ok 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    better to humidify the room I think
  • Keep an eye on things.In a bit of cold snap at the moment.I checked mine today and surprised humidity was in the low thirty’s.So sponges in.
    Slightly OT but perhaps someone can explain? The Met Office website is reporting humidity as 65% or above but my gauges are showing in the mid-forties. They’re cheap ones but I calibrated using salt in a Tupperware box. Get similar results with them outside. 

Are the Met Office using a different measurement or are their forecasts just not very accurate?
  • drofluf said:
    Slightly OT but perhaps someone can explain? The Met Office website is reporting humidity as 65% or above but my gauges are showing in the mid-forties. They’re cheap ones but I calibrated using salt in a Tupperware box. Get similar results with them outside. 

Are the Met Office using a different measurement or are their forecasts just not very accurate?
    They can’t get the weather right,so there’s not much chance on humidity. :)
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    drofluf said:

Are your gauges outside? 
    brucegill said:
    drofluf said:

Are your gauges outside? 
    Yes, that was my first thought so I put one outside for a couple of hours 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    Fair play. Interesting they’re so different from the met office. 
    Also been using a recently purchased humidity gauge and it seems to show it often falling into the mid thirties. So will get one of those Planet Waves humidifiers and try it out.