Redwood walnut combo

What's Hot
I would be interested to hear people's thoughts about this wood combo?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Without meaning to sound too cheeky -  my thoughts are that it will sound like a guitar, the quality of which is entirely dependent on the maker of that guitar rather than the specific wood choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I have one redwood-topped guitar - a custom Avalon (bog oak back and sides). It sounds fantastic but you should be aware that redwood takes a lot of playing in to open up - particularly on larger-boded guitars. That will be the main contributor tonally.

I also have/had several guitars with walnut back and sides. From my experience, walnut should be fine tonally but it can vary considerably in appearance according to the origin and hence species. Aesthetically speaking, I'm a bit hesitant about whether it would work well with a redwood top.
  • DuffnoteDuffnote Frets: 4
    Mine is an Avalon too. It should be ready in a week or two. The walnut is a nice colour and flamed and the sinker is not too over the top. In my opinion it looks well.
  • It depends entirely who made it - one of my favourite smaller body guitars is the Petros Ultralight FS which has a redwood top over claro walnut and a flip-matched butternut neck. 

But there's more to a Petros build than just the woods involved

Over guitars I have played in that combination (especially from European builders) have fallen short of the wood combos potential. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    GTC said:
    I have one redwood-topped guitar - a custom Avalon (bog oak back and sides). It sounds fantastic but you should be aware that redwood takes a lot of playing in to open up - particularly on larger-boded guitars. That will be the main contributor tonally.
    On a slight tangent, I have one of the 2011 Fender Tele-bration solid OGRW electric guitars, the body of which is made entirely from reclaimed nineteenth century railroad lumber. Light as a feather. Resonant as an extremely resonant thing - to the extent that it is difficult to tell whether it has loosened up.

Under a thin satin finish, the surface of the Redwood marks up if you so much as look at it. You may have to strike a compromise between preserving the resonance of your soundboard and the protection provided by your chosen finish.
    Be seeing you.
    Thanks for your comments. GTC I am looking forward to playing it in
    Under a thin satin finish, the surface of the Redwood marks up if you so much as look at it. You may have to strike a compromise between preserving the resonance of your soundboard and the protection provided by your chosen finish.
    Assuming it is a custom Avalon Ard Ri model, there should be no problem with surface protection with the multi-layer gloss lacquer finish applied - which doesn't seem to affect resonance at all. Mine is probably the most resonant guitar I've played - and probably the heaviest due to the weight of the bog oak back and sides.

I thought it was fantastic when I received it new about eight months ago - but it has got better and better with playing.  Duffnote enjoy it - and don't forget to post a photo to prove me wrong about the aesthetics!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here are a few pics of the guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the pictures - it looks great. It looks about ready for Stevie in the spray shop to work his wonders on it.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Looks great
    think about a Tonerite if you want it to break in quicker
    Will do thanks
  • pjfpjf Frets: 330
    Duffnote said:
    Here are a few pics of the guitar. 
    Love it! Awesome top. Very different colours in the timbers compared to my redwood/walnut combo (created just down the road from Avalon):

edited March 2020
    Latest pics of the build http://imgur.com/a/tApluh6
    Duffnote said:
    Looks lovely - is that an S or an F body?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Duffnote said:
    Looks great, must be a sibling to my one
    It is an auditorium body so similar to  a lowden f shaped body. Just got the word last night that it is finished. Cant wait to pick it up
    http://imgur.com/a/NsyzbG1. Just the clear pickguard to go on and the strap button.
    Duffnote said:
    It is an auditorium body so similar to  a lowden f shaped body. Just got the word last night that it is finished. Cant wait to pick it up
    Whoops - sorry, I forgot the Grand Auditorium size in Avalon language was an "A" body. Whatever, it looks great and, based on my Avalon experiences, will probably sound even better. The variation in appearance across the various species of walnut is quite surprising

If you can wait It would probably be worth trying it without the Tonerite first. You are likely to be delighted anyway - and that will just get better and better as the redwood top gradually opens up naturally with playing in the weeks and months ahead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 330
    Duffnote said:
    http://imgur.com/a/NsyzbG1. Just the clear pickguard to go on and the strap button.
    Looks amazing!