Dipping toes into bass

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2382
I'm planning on starting a bit more recording from home to send my bandmates demos etc, and I could do with a bass.

I don't want to spend much - I'm not a bassist, this is just for writing/recording. 

What are my best options for say, £200-£250?

Anything else I need to be aware of beyond the bass itself? I've got a Line 6 POD HD500X that has bass amp sims in it so that covers recorded sounds that are good enough for demos.
Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Squier VM or CV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Sire used or the V3s - great players, sounds and preamp.

The Zoom B3 offers excellent amp sims and fx and has an XLR for recording or FOH desk and sounds good or the Zoom B1on or B1Xon, which has similar sounds but only a regular jack out but it also has an aux to plug in and play along with stuff.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Ibanez/Soundgear SRX, Cort Action, Sterling S.U.B. 'Ray, Yamaha RBX or, if you can find one, the Attitude Plus.

There should be some affordable pre-owned bass guitars in the classified listings of this very forum. (My affordable bass guitar sold last Friday!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2629
    You don't play it with your feet, no. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2382

Now that raises a separate issue I hadn't thought of. Do I need active just for laying down some bass tracks at home? Seems like another thing to eat through batteries.
    Tim
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
    timmypix said:

Now that raises a separate issue I hadn't thought of. Do I need active just for laying down some bass tracks at home? Seems like another thing to eat through batteries.
    Depends on the bass tones you want.

As long as you unplug an active bass you'll probably get a year out of a single 9V.
  • timmypix said:

You don't 'need' active, but it's a nice extra option to have at your disposal.

In my experience with the 3-band EQ on my Ibanez, the battery drain minimal, they seem to last forever! 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I use a bass in the same kind of way. I managed to snag an ibanez ATK series second hand for about that kind of money (can't remember exactly). It's more bass than I'll ever need, plays great and sounds decent. Quality instrument.
    It's active and I can't remember the last time I changed battery. Been years! Should probably check it actually. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
    My main bass is active.

I change the battery every Christmas. It has never run out (Playing about 5 or 6 hours per week plugged in) but I feel safer doing that ahead of the xmas gig season.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    An Aria STB Series bass is a decent instrument and will not cost much money. The sounds are good too, fits the bill for what you describe in your bass requirements post above.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    If you have a multimeter you can check your batteries. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    timmypix said:

If you're using an external preamp like the Pod, personally I would avoid active circuitry - it's not only unnecessary, cheaper actives often add noise, which will be worse if run through another preamp.

You will generally get a better bass for the same price if you stick to a passive one, at least at the lower end of the market.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2382
    ICBM said:
    timmypix said:

If you're using an external preamp like the Pod, personally I would avoid active circuitry - it's not only unnecessary, cheaper actives often add noise, which will be worse if run through another preamp.

You will generally get a better bass for the same price if you stick to a passive one, at least at the lower end of the market.
    Cheers ICBM. Simplicity appeals more for my needs, I think. 

Lots of recommendations here, some brands I recognise from guitar world and some I don't, so it seems I'll have plenty of options. Anything to absolutely avoid at all costs?
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    timmypix said:

Anything to absolutely avoid at all costs?
    Rickenbacker copies. Modern ones and many old ones are almost universally junk, and the old ones that are good are now getting expensive in their own right. (And even now, slightly problematic to re-sell, if you decide to.)

You might find that surprising coming from me given how much I go on about my Rick ;), but basically if you can’t afford a real one or a decent late-70s Japanese copy, don't bother at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein