NPBD

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
Been looking around for a second P bass and wasn’t gonna buy new but, Just received this from guitar village. Mex player in ocean turquoise. Played pretty decent straight out the box but given it a couple of tweaks and gigged with it on Saturday. My only minor gripe is the heavy handed countersinking on the scratch plate. Will most likely change pickups at some point but plays and sounds great. Especially after removing the Mexican barbed wire and fitting some flats!
https://i.imgur.com/oPpRqZt.jpg
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Nice colour :)
  • Nice colour :)
    Thanks!
    If it had come with a rosewood board it would have been perfect!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Bit odd countersinking round head screws :/ 

Very tasty otherwise !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    That does look rather tasty. 
  • Jalapeno said:
    Bit odd countersinking round head screws :/ 

Very tasty otherwise !
    Fender scratch plates do a have a small counter sink as screws are raised head countersunk. But this one looks like it’s been prepared for coach bolts!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    If it had come with a rosewood ‘board
    Since it does not, this could be all the excuse you need to change the pickguard to mint green, parchment or anodised gold.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Thanks!
    Need to go American for rosewood these days.

I hear very good things about the Player P and quite convinced one will be my next purchase.

May I ask why the plan for a pickup change? Naturally I'd be prepared for that possibility but they do now have stock alnico pickups and I've heard that they're pretty good.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    That is a very nice and interesting colour, don't think I've seen one of those before.
  • thegummy said:
    Thanks!
    Need to go American for rosewood these days.

I hear very good things about the Player P and quite convinced one will be my next purchase.

May I ask why the plan for a pickup change? Naturally I'd be prepared for that possibility but they do now have stock alnico pickups and I've heard that they're pretty good.
    Yeh, the players do seem to be pretty decent. I’ve got a US standard to compare it against and there are some minor bits like fret ends where you can feel the difference but overall there’s not much to grumble about. I put an old set of cobalt flats on it last night and loving the sound.
    re pickup change . I’d heard that they weren’t great but so far not really hearing that. But will most likely try something else in there at some point.

Funkfingers said:
    If it had come with a rosewood ‘board
    Since it does not, this could be all the excuse you need to change the pickguard to mint green, parchment or anodised gold.
    I do like the tort on turquoise to be honest. Never really liked the gold pickguards although I reckon that might work on this colour. I’ve seen a couple of more elaborate looking ones from Greasy Grooves in Canada but don’t know if I’m brave enough!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited March 2020

The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    bandmaster188 said:

Fender scratch plates do a have a small counter sink as screws are raised head countersunk. But this one looks like it’s been prepared for coach bolts!
    I'd guess they used the same depth stop as for a three-ply plate, on the thicker four-ply one.

It's a real shame, and annoying how something so trivial can ruin the appearance of a nice instrument out of all proportion to the actual problem!

At least as Funkfingers said, it's the excuse you need to get a much nicer guard - personally I would go for a redder more 'vintage' tort, but gold anodised would look great too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggy said:
    That is a very nice and interesting colour, don't think I've seen one of those before.
    Cheers! 
    Its an FSR player. Theres a few of them about still.

The Swamp City Shakers
    Anyone noticed that Prescisions seem to always have fewer colour options than any other Fender instruments?

Don't get why it doesn't have the same options as the jazz.

There's a sonic grey jazz in a shop window that I love when I walk by but I'm looking for a P.

• ICBM said:
    bandmaster188 said:

I'd guess they used the same depth stop as for a three-ply plate, on the thicker four-ply one.

It's a real shame, and annoying how something so trivial can ruin the appearance of a nice instrument out of all proportion to the actual problem!

At least as Funkfingers said, it's the excuse you need to get a much nicer guard - personally I would go for a redder more 'vintage' tort, but gold anodised would look great too.
    I’ve just emailed Fender to see what they think. Might get a new guard possibly without the moon craters!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    thegummy said:
    Anyone noticed that Prescisions seem to always have fewer colour options than any other Fender instruments?

Because a Precision is an honest, down-to-earth working-man's instrument, and a Jazz is for effete musos.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ithegummy said:

There's a sonic grey jazz in a shop window that I love when I walk by but I'm looking for a P.
    ive been searching for a sonic blue P but they seem to be fairly non existent unless you go custom shop.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    Ithegummy said:

ive been searching for a sonic blue P but they seem to be fairly non existent unless you go custom shop.
    Daphne Blue is one of the main colours I wanted but I've never seen one for sale, even a Custom Shop one, only ever seen it from photos of basses owned by people.

Considered getting a custom body done or even painting it myself but there's always the safe option of a black with maple fretboard (a la Roger Waters) in the Player range so at the moment I'm thinking that's the one. Was put off painting one myself when I looked on Youtube and saw what a pullava painting a guitar body actually is.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2278
    Ithegummy said:

If you want Sonic Blue Why not get Rexter or SCNRelics to do you a body. That’s what I do very happy

rze99 said:
    Ithegummy said:

If you want Sonic Blue Why not get Rexter or SCNRelics to do you a body. That’s what I do very happy

Have definitely considered it, glad to hear you've had success with it, cheers.
  • rze99 said:
    Ithegummy said:

Can’t go sonic blue now, it’s got a maple board. That would be morally wrong!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom