Precision Lyte electrics new preamp recommendations

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
edited May 2021 in Bass
Have a mates precision lyte in for a repair but I’m sure it’s a board problem ( the smell is giving me a bit of a clue!) but there is no obvious black component that I can see? It’s been dodgy for a few months draining batteries quicker than usual and now just dead with a new battery fitted and all wiring where it should be. 

Any recommendations for a local tech to Somerset who can do board diagnosis and repair?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Remote diagnosis would be aided by photographs of the jack socket, the PP3 box and everything in the control cavity.
    Be seeing you.
  • @Funkfingers thanks for that but remote diagnosis wont work on this one, I'm looking for someone local to me who can diagnose which particular component has failed then change it so its going to need to be scoped I reckon
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I can't find a schematic or a clear enough pic online, but if it's a typical active preamp it will have one or possibly two ICs. There's a very high chance it's a short in one, so I would replace either one and check the current draw, and if that doesn't fix it replace the other (if there is one).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Pull electronics out, install passives, easy job
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM That was my guess as well, there is no current draw at present when plugged in so the symptoms it experienced before it stopped working led me to conclude it was probably one or two of them giving out. My request, as there is no documentation available, was to find someone local to me who can confirm the diagnosis and get hold of the part. I have some very good amp techs for the PA and usually sort guitars out myself just stuck on who does this sort of round me
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    That was my other suggestion if this fails. If it's the four-knob version it lends itself nicely to a two-volume, two-tone layout.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    That was my other suggestion if this fails. If it's the four-knob version it lends itself nicely to a two-volume, two-tone layout.
    That is my fall back solution! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Just leaves the small matter of the underwhelming stock MIJ pickups. 
    Be seeing you.
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
  • further said:
    Yup good shout but not sure Alan or G who are very very good at guitar stuff are good at electronic component level
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Maybe they know someone who is ?
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    Ok a year later and no joy, mate disappeared to Dubai chasing skirts so this went on the back burner.
    So decision taken to start again with a new pre amp, any recommendations for one that will drop in and do the job ?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Anything with flying leads rather than a PCB.

John East immediately springs to mind.

EMG-BQC HZ crams Vol., Bal. and three-band EQ into four pot holes and is compatible with the stock pickups.
    Be seeing you.