Signing up for the Paul Gilbert Artistworks stuff this weekend. Any users? Referral codes?

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
'allo folks.

I've had my eye on this for a crazy long time at this point, and I figured it's finally time to take the plunge. If anyone has a referral code (I guess they're a thing on the site?) I'd be more than happy to use it if it benefits you. Other than that, I'm just interested in knowing how it's worked out for you guys.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I've never seen anything on the site about referral codes.  

I'd say since joining it's probably had the biggest positive influence on my technique in all time I've been playing and that's including any in person guitar lessons I've had in the past, whether that's because I've gotten to the point where I'm a good enough judge of my own playing and am able to make changes without having someone sat opposite me I don't know.

I've never plucked up the courage to submit a video for review so just watch other peoples videos and Paul's replies, you will come to find that there's a core group of people who submit all the time.  Also it's not as shred focused as you might imagine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    neilg said:
    I've never seen anything on the site about referral codes.  

I'd say since joining it's probably had the biggest positive influence on my technique in all time I've been playing and that's including any in person guitar lessons I've had in the past, whether that's because I've gotten to the point where I'm a good enough judge of my own playing and am able to make changes without having someone sat opposite me I don't know.

I've never plucked up the courage to submit a video for review so just watch other peoples videos and Paul's replies, you will come to find that there's a core group of people who submit all the time.  Also it's not as shred focused as you might imagine.

Ahh, I was just wondering if it were a thing so I could maybe give some credit or whatnot to someone here. I know they've got plenty of discount codes on the go though, so it should work out alright price-wise.

That's exactly where I am technically, really. I've played for 17/18~ years, & I'm not a terrible player by any means. I can self-analyze & be honest with myself, so for the cost of maybe 6 potentially pointless face to face lessons over the course of 12 months, it seems like a bit of a no brainer. I feel the most motivation I've felt in a long time, so now just seems like the right time.

I'm not sure I'll submit anything either, but I'll see. See you there, maybe!
    Thinking back over the face to face lessons I had in the past I don't really recall being told why I was learning a particular song, whereas Paul always seems to be able to say what technique will benefit from what he's teaching.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    I've been a member for a while, but haven't used it anywhere as much as I should have. The vids I've used have been awesome though, really helpful.

And like @neilg , I've not had the guts to submit a video yet....!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    edited March 2020
    I really like the Artistworks platform - am/have been a member of six of the schools over the years (Bryan Sutton Flatpicking, Guthrie Trapp Electric Country, Keith Wyatt Blues, Mike Marshall  Mandolin, Michael Daves Bluegrass Vocals, Andy Hall Dobro) and have always got something out of it. Currently still a member of 3 of them. What I do notice is a very wide variation of how quickly the tutors respond to video exchanges - ranging from Keith Wyatt who is usually same or next day through to Guthrie Trapp who can be up to a 5 weeks.

Would be interested to know what Paul Gilbert is like in that regard?
    Paul seems to be really quick, even when he's touring there are usually multiple replies each day.
    They sent me a code for 20% off. I swapped the number to 30 & got 30% off =) That works. Cancels the damage done by the exchange rate, anyway... Blimey.

Been on it having a look around since yesterday evening. It's pretty wild to see people send in 30s submissions & get a 7 minute response from Paul himself. I've learned a few riffs so far, but I'm trying my hardest to look through all the easier lessons that might help, rather than just skipping over all of them because "oh I can do that." It's going to be interesting.
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    Hmm thanks for the heads up, just had a look at these and might give him a go.  Like the look of the bluegrass one too actually.
    If you do @pickerg make sure you use the code player30. You might also want to keep an eye on the exchange rate to save a bit extra, given how weak the £ is against the $ right now: https://www.fx-exchange.com/usd/gbp-280-exchange-rates.html

Tenebrous said:
    They sent me a code for 20% off. I swapped the number to 30 & got 30% off =) That works. Cancels the damage done by the exchange rate, anyway... Blimey.

Been on it having a look around since yesterday evening. It's pretty wild to see people send in 30s submissions & get a 7 minute response from Paul himself. I've learned a few riffs so far, but I'm trying my hardest to look through all the easier lessons that might help, rather than just skipping over all of them because "oh I can do that." It's going to be interesting.
    There's a lot of good stuff in those early lesson, it's definitely worth going through them.
    Tenebrous said:
    If you do @pickerg make sure you use the code player30. You might also want to keep an eye on the exchange rate to save a bit extra, given how weak the £ is against the $ right now: https://www.fx-exchange.com/usd/gbp-280-exchange-rates.html

Cheers, will keep that in mind
    neilg said:
    Tenebrous said:

There's a lot of good stuff in those early lesson, it's definitely worth going through them.

Yeah I've found a few good riffs & practice pieces in the basic pull off lesson. Lots of fun.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    neilg said:
    Tenebrous said:

I watched the five free lessons where he goes through Sacrifice by Racer X, and my favourite parts were where he breaks down things like raking and sliding into notes for dramatic effect. I know how to do it, but it's so joyful watching him explain it so clearly and with such passion.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    Been on for a month now, and I'd be lying if I said I've been using it as much as I should so far (blame too many reading projects for that), but honestly, it's fantastic.

I sent in my first video submission yesterday afternoon & Paul sent a personalized video response less than 12 hours later. How fecking cool is that? =) Haven't watched it yet, though... Too busy riding off of the high of knowing it's there waiting for me, haha. Will watch it today.
    Tenebrous said:
    Been on for a month now, and I'd be lying if I said I've been using it as much as I should so far (blame too many reading projects for that), but honestly, it's fantastic.

I sent in my first video submission yesterday afternoon & Paul sent a personalized video response less than 12 hours later. How fecking cool is that? =) Haven't watched it yet, though... Too busy riding off of the high of knowing it's there waiting for me, haha. Will watch it today.
    What's it called?  I'll look out for it.
    On "Pentatonic Chicka 2" it's called "The Pick Tuck" =) I watched his response now, & it did bring something up I know I kinda slack on. I've still not watched any of the vids besides the ones in the fundamentals section, but there's a lot of cool riffs & practice ideas in there. No rush, no rush...
    Lewy said:
    I really like the Artistworks platform - am/have been a member of six of the schools over the years (Bryan Sutton Flatpicking, Guthrie Trapp Electric Country, Keith Wyatt Blues, Mike Marshall  Mandolin, Michael Daves Bluegrass Vocals, Andy Hall Dobro) and have always got something out of it. Currently still a member of 3 of them. What I do notice is a very wide variation of how quickly the tutors respond to video exchanges - ranging from Keith Wyatt who is usually same or next day through to Guthrie Trapp who can be up to a 5 weeks.

@Lewy ;interested in your thoughts on the country, blues and flatpicking courses and which you thought most worthwhile?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    pickerg said:
    Lewy said:

@Lewy ;interested in your thoughts on the country, blues and flatpicking courses and which you thought most worthwhile?
    Flatpicking - if it’s a style you’re interested in I’d say there’s no better option. Excellent curriculum and Bryan is an outstanding player and teacher (rare to be both). He turns Video Exchanges around in about a week and he’s a joy to interact with. 

Blues - It’s common to get a Video Exchange response same day from Keith which is amazing. The curriculum isn’t repertoire based in the same way that the Flatpicking is, so it’s  not based around specific well known songs, but it’s more “here’s something in the style of”. Having said that, Keith is very happy to cover specific tunes from the genre in Video Exchanges and he has a very broad knowledge.

Country - very good lessons, almost entirely CAGED based so if you’re not familiar with CAGED you certainly will be once you’re through the curriculum. I’m afraid I have found Guthrie to be pretty lack lustre as a teacher. I think I’ve done three Video Exchanges with him and waited over a month for a reply for all of them. There’s always an excuse...sorry folks, my laptop died, sorry folks I had an ear infection...oddly he seems to keep his social media going during these times of incapacity. When you do get a response, a lot of the time it seems to just consist of him telling you to use the CAGED system. So yeah, if you want to work through all the material it’s a great resource, if you want interaction with the instructor, not so much. 
    Thanks @Lewy appreciate your comments. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Re Artistworks - just be careful not to leave automatic renewal on - otherwise after year 1 they renew at full price despite any initial incentive you got or latest offers ..