NDPD - new digital piano day (pic added)

TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
edited March 2020 in Other Instruments
I've always had a thing about learning to play the piano, but I've only once ever tried - a couple of years ago, I bought a used Yamaha Clavinova off the e that is bay. It turned out to be completely knackered and a waste of money. I tried to play it twice, and only got a sound out of it once. I wound up selling it for a pretty big loss to some bloke who repairs them and sells them on.

So what with everything else that's going on, I've still got that itch.

Today, I decided to scratch it.

I bought a Roland PF10 from a local store, both scratching the itch and helping out a local business at the same time. I subscribed to Rocket Piano last time, so hopefully this time I'll do something with it.

In response to the usual "pics or it didn't happen" I'll post some later when I finally get around to getting the bloody thing out of its box (which won't be till I've cleared a space for it, hopefully later today cos in the meantime I've got the vaccing and dog walking and then the tea all to be sorted).

Not sure whether I'm excited or daunted, tbh...
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited March 2020
    The FP10- is a Great board for the price.  The PHA4 action is really nice (my RD has the PHA5 which I prefer but many feel the PHA4 is nicer).  The core sounds are great as well.   It lacks the variation of the FP30,   and the Yamaha offerings have arguably a nicer core piano sound (not to me but its personal) - but if you want a piano and only piano thats not a consideration.

Given the price point though its really nice.  Its one of 3 I recommended to a friend recently for his son (at 17) to learn on. 

Enjoy.  

Try this link - 10 free lessons.  They are for the starter, and may not be for you - but its pretty decent start.

https://www.pianogenius.com/
  • Ta, Paul. The salesman (who could genuinely play, he demonstrated his quality) said he much preferred the FP10 to the P45 because of, and I'm not sure I remember this right, the ambient sound - he said if you hit a chord and let the sound die, but then hold the keys down and hit another key, all you get with the P45 is the sound of the other key. Whereas with the FP10, hitting another key makes the 'strings' of the chord you're holding down resonate lightly too, similar to a real piano. That's what sold it to me.

And I'm a complete beginner at the piano, so starter lessons are precisely what I need. (They're why I got the Rocket Piano thing - hopefully it'll be as good as it thinks it is.)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited March 2020
    String resonance.  Yep - only the higher end Yams have it - but all the FP series does.

With a pure sampled sound - like the FP45, all you trigger is the samples.  Roland part model their sound (the V Pianos are totally modelled, but the Supernatural ones like the FP are sampled cores with modelling applied after) - so can model the string resonance (and other resonances in a piano) and add it to the core sampled sound.   
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited March 2020

As promised, one pic of the new joanna. Looks exactly like every other FP10, but on the 'pics or it didn't happen' basis, here's some proof it happened.