Composition Challenge 29

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
edited June 2020 in Making Music
Time for round #29 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.
For full rules please read here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/8029/fretboard-challenge-rules#latest

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
As usual, thanks to @Fretwired for his input to help generate ideas.

The theme for the next challenge is:
"Create music that reminds you of a good place or holiday. Something that brings good memories. The music could be based on what you heard at the time or music of the place/region."
Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

DATES AND VOTING
Fretboard Challenge #29 starts NOW! - Submission deadline is midnight 17th July 2020
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

A playlist of entries so far is below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/composition-challenge-29

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    A quick bump for the Composition Challenge.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've been ill so haven't been around much. I have an idea and will contribute a track.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    I've been ill so haven't been around much. I have an idea and will contribute a track.

Hope you're better. 

I haven't started yet.

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:

Hope you're better. 

I haven't started yet.

Much better .. I probably had COVID-19 .. probably as there was no test to be had ... I'm still here .. :-)

I'm going to have to extend this for another month because, at this rate, I'm not going to make the deadline - especially if I have a go at the Cover challenge.

Now extended to 17th July 2020.

It's not a competition.
    Noted. Mine is nearly finished.

edited June 2020
    Fretwired said:
    Noted. Mine is nearly finished.

I've only just come up with a general concept for mine.

It's not a competition.
    Done mine. The final stage came together quicker than I expected.

@Fretwired are you close? Should I put them up once they're done, rather than wait until the deadline?

It's not a competition.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    I'm hoping to chip one in for this. Happy synchronicity in that a loose idea I was working on ties in with the theme, so it's provided some incentive to put a bit more effort in and complete it, rather than park it until the band are available.
    Snags said:
    I'm hoping to chip one in for this. Happy synchronicity in that a loose idea I was working on ties in with the theme, so it's provided some incentive to put a bit more effort in and complete it, rather than park it until the band are available.
    Great. The deadline has been extended to 17th July but I think I'll put them up as soon as I get the entries if that's OK with everyone.

It's not a competition.
    Fine with me. If the deadline was Wednesday I'd be stuffed - only go the click track and rhythm guitar down so far, so a long way to go!
    edited June 2020
    OK. Done mine. It's in the playlist in the original post.

I've decided to put the entries in a playlist in the original post, to hopefully encourage more to have a go.

I can't actually play the bouzouki - well I've never tried. It's all programmed using a VSTi (below) which was a lot of fun.
    https://impactsoundworks.com/product/plectra-series-1-8-string-acoustic-bouzouki/

It's not a competition.
    Done mine. The final stage came together quicker than I expected.

@Fretwired are you close? Should I put them up once they're done, rather than wait until the deadline?

I didn't see this .. I could be if I get time over the weekend. We've just had a mighty flood from a burst pipe so I have some cleaning up to do. Will make the extended deadline.

• I have an idea, a location and a picture. Just need to attempt to record it. 
    Getting there with mine (assuming I don't destroy it in a fit of artist pique). Just trying to sort out the drum programming around maintaining a happy domestic relationship ;)

Not listening to @stratman3142 's until I've submitted, either, lest I just back out before I even get to the finish line.
    Submission made.

As per the accompanying message, if it's considered not to meet the criteria, do please feel free not to include it. It was something I'd started and parked that seemed to have synchronicity, but it doesn't really evoke the music of a place so much of the idea of freedom, relaxation and companionship achieved when on holiday/away from the grind (well, that's the intention!). Inspired by a place we go to regularly as a bolt-hole, and by a good friend recently jacking his job in and heading down to the coast to live and take on a less pressured lifestyle.

Now I'm off to listen to Stratman's and see how badly I've embarrased myself :)
    Snags said:
    Submission made.

Now I'm off to listen to Stratman's and see how badly I've embarrased myself :)

Added to playlist. Nothing to worry about regarding my entry, as you will now realise if you've listened to it.

It's not a competition.
    I have listened to it - I thought it was excellent, frankly.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Good one @Snags Reminds me of Edwyn Collins for some reason!
    “Ken sent me.”
    @guitartango Thanks, I'll take that. unless I've accidentally ripped him off, in which case I deny everything . 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom