Just disgusted myself with my own playing.

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 173
Could not for the life of me get a sound I liked, Ended up just turning off the amp and am now considering if there is any point continuing with the charade............. When all the virus is over considering just getting rid of everything. I really struggle to find any enthusiasm any more.

20 plus years and it may be over,
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1284
    Come on.... Give us a hug.... I will take all that negativity away for you. 
    I go to where you are now regularly. My advice Don't sell Fck All . 
    Have a break and take it easy.
    That guitar and Amp will get you through so much shit you will be amazed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 1772
    JAYJO said:
    Come on.... Give us a hug... 
    No!
    @Jetsam1 how often do you play?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SargeSarge Frets: 1674
    Don't we all go through this from time to time? I certainly do, it's more often my playing that irritates me than struggling to get a sound /tone I'm happy with.

I put it down for a while, listen to something new nd go again, refreshed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 176
    We all have off days when playing, and it may feel worse at the moment with the constant steam of bad news. It may be worth giving playing a break for a couple of days and coming back to it. Think about what made you want to play in the first place, and listen to some music you really like and search out some new stuff. If you have one, play an acoustic or a different electric next time and see if that inspires you again. Anything worth pursuing often throws up challenges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • It happens to us all. Pierre Bensusan once told me "You have to pick up your guitar even when it weighs 100 tonnes" and I know what he meant. 

Relax, this is supposed to be fun! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 80
    At least you've had 20yrs of playing well, I've had 1yr of playing crap!

If I can keep going, so can anyone  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 194
    Please be Rhett Shull  B)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweavesweave Frets: 10
    edited March 24
    I'm finding that, with all the current uncertainty and transitioning with C19, friends and family (and me!) are over-reacting to pretty much anything that is even slightly negative. This may be an example of that - your playing and tone probably wasn't that bad but it has got to you. As others have said, chill and don't give yourself such a hard time. You'll probably feel better in  a week or two (sorry if that sounds a bit trite - it's not meant to be)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 915
    Don't plug in... I haven't plugged in for a while and just noodle on my Tele or an Epi hollow body. Then when you do plug in it will feel different and fresh ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 901
    edited March 24
    Yeah don't stress just take a break. I sometimes don't play for ages but I know I always go back to it so I don't worry about it. If you're not enjoying it go do something you will enjoy for a bit.

It's also partly why I don't like having loads of fancy gear. It makes me stress about putting it all to use. Maybe you need to get back to basics? 
    MYMUSIC

I wanna be a door
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 392
    I’m sure we all go through this once in a while. I know I do.
    Put the guitar aside for a few days, and when you come back to it work on a totally new piece so you don’t have expectations of playing it well.

• mbembe Frets: 1130
    Buy a piano accordion and try learning to play it. That'll soon have you back playing your guitar with glee.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 2493
    edited March 24
    Most of us play for enjoyment, fun and relaxation. So here's my advice; don't try learning something new just now. Go back to what you enjoy playing, what gives you pleasure and is the most fun.  And just take it from there. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 18951
    Have you checked your cables or maybe you're not spending enough on pedals?
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 432
    Iv been through that a few times...its usually I am just bored with what i am doing and ready for learning new things ...it could be the same ...you maybe turn a corner in your playing soon

...so keep that gear..!!
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 173
    Sassafras said:
    Have you checked your cables or maybe you're not spending enough on pedals?

I spend nothing on pedals. ANd I feel a better person for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2112
    edited March 24
    The sound you get and what you play are  two different things I think. I just play straight into an amp clean, so there isn't any excuse for me. If I don't like what I'm playing I just carry on until it passes and I learn a new lick or 'get' a new concept.

Try something like Truefire to learn something new and don't worry about the immediate result. Just play with it and practice and as it sinks in you can become inspired again.
    If I ever think about buying a Two Rock just punch me.
    Normally, I am amp to cable to guitar. And that has always been enough, it is a decent amp and a decent guitar just couldn't gel. I know I am tired. And life has been ridiculous over the last couple of years. 

First time in a long time I couldn't find something in an Am chord. That means trouble.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 26001
    Give yourself a break, but keep working on it.
    Les miroirs ternis et les flammes mortes.
    edited March 24
    Jetsam1 said:
    Normally, I am amp to cable to guitar. And that has always been enough, it is a decent amp and a decent guitar just couldn't gel. I know I am tired. And life has been ridiculous over the last couple of years. 

First time in a long time I couldn't find something in an Am chord. That means trouble.

I recommend Am7.
    Also a D with an E on the 1st string. AAAH better.

Plug in again. make sure you are perfectly in tune and play some nice chords and battle through. Fight it man, FIGHT!!!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 5731
    edited March 24
    I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here has been through this at some time or another. For me the solution is to put the guitar down for a week or two and listen to music, bone up on a bit of theory, etc. I always come back to things fresh and inspired. Other people will have other methods that work for them.
    In my hand I hold a piece of perforated paper
    Get a looper!
    HAL9000 said:
    I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here has been through this at some time or another. For me the solution is to put the guitar down for a week or two and listen to music, bone up on a bit of theory, etc. I always come back to things fresh and inspired. Other people will have other methods that work for them.

Been listening to a lot of new stuff, investigating metal actually which I haven't in the past really.

Is it potentially something to do with only having played through earphones and a Pod for quite a while and the amp, just sounded wrong? It's a Fender Super Champ X2 and so valve and just sounded wrong.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 4262
    If you suck at guitar, then there's always place for a new bass player.

:)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 2950
    Jetsam1 said:
    Could not for the life of me get a sound I liked, Ended up just turning off the amp and am now considering if there is any point continuing with the charade............. When all the virus is over considering just getting rid of everything. I really struggle to find any enthusiasm any more.

20 plus years and it may be over,
    I feel like it constantly....I think YouTube doesn’t help, where everyone sounds bloody brilliant...Not sure what the answer is, but take a break maybe  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 45848
    Jetsam1 said:

Been listening to a lot of new stuff, investigating metal actually which I haven't in the past really.

Is it potentially something to do with only having played through earphones and a Pod for quite a while and the amp, just sounded wrong? It's a Fender Super Champ X2 and so valve and just sounded wrong. 
    Try running the Pod into the clean channel of the amp.

If you're playing metal I wouldn't necessarily expect that amp to sound right either... maybe not even with the Pod, but it's worth a try. Unfortunately the amp doesn't have an FX loop so you can't bypass the preamp entirely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 1203
    edited March 24
    We all have times when we're really on a roll and playing above ourselves with a big smile on our faces and other times when we sound like shit and wonder why we bother.  But in truth to an outsider listening in we would probably sound approximately as good or as bad both times. The difference is probably about 5% difference in your playing, 95% difference in your mood. 
    "Life has taught me to think but thinking has not taught me to live.” Alexander Herzen
  • brooombrooom Frets: 630
    We all have those days, remember why you picked up the guitar in the first place? Take a rest, and when you're ready, you'll be playing and enjoying again.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 1270
    As it happens yesterday decided to go over some tracks I thought I knew really well plugging in as haven’t done that for a while and it was horrible. Did the same tonight but tweeked the tone controls on the amp to where I thought they shouldn’t be and everything fell into place happy as a pig
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • rossirossi Frets: 917
    Try learning all those jazzy 9ths ,13ths ,diminished and then string them together randomly while noodling .its amazing what comes out .