Muso Classifieds

What's Hot
I applied to an add for a 90’s style band forming looking for a guitarist. They listed similar influences to stuff I’ve done before. Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Grungey stuff. 

I apply and full disclosure I’m in another band. But we hardly gig (3 gigs since 2017) So I explain I’ve got time to do another project.

Im asked for examples of my playing. Which I give off Spotify and Youtube.

I then get this weird response saying that they don’t think I’m suitable, as they aren’t “fixated on playing live”. So they will pass. 

So at this point they’ve not heard a note of me playing on my own. 

I sort of say fair enough but point out that a band like Smashing Pumpkins took on a drummer they deemed unsuitable on paper and that worked out rather well. So maybe talking themselves out of not even trying me out is a bit odd. 

I get this response back saying I don’t know them and I’m making assumptions. Yet they made the assumption I was fixated on gigging?

What happened to people just getting in a room and finding a collective sound? All this judging someone

I can’t be a terrible guitarist cos when I play live other musicians stare at my pedalboard how Prince Andrew stares at 16 year old girls. 

Are people really that narrow minded? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Some are.They're the ones you don't want to be in a band with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
    jeztone2 said:

Are people really that narrow minded? 

Yes, yes they are.

Sounds like they like the idea of being in a band, but would be consistently flaky even if they'd gone past that point.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Fuck them. We had to replace a bass player years ago and had some proper shit players audition for us. But every one who responded to our ad (posted on music shop and venue noticeboards - remember them?) got a chance to audition! We would book 4 hours in to our rehearsal rooms and invite them down to try out with us. How else are you going to know??
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    One thing i've learn't is that auditions have no logic. I once failed an audition for the singer in a "blues" band for being too "flamboyant" - annoyingly i'd put a load of work into learning the stuff. i would guess it's nothing to do with you - move on - there's another band round the corner.... sounds like you were too good for them anyway?
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    One thing i've learn't is that auditions have no logic. I once failed an audition for the singer in a "blues" band for being too "flamboyant" - annoyingly i'd put a load of work into learning the stuff. i would guess it's nothing to do with you - move on - there's another band round the corner.... sounds like you were too good for them anyway?
    Yes I suspect you’re right. But it’s kind of you to say.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom