Playing to Backing

What's Hot
BobLobLawBobLobLaw Frets: 1
edited April 2020 in Technique

Bob

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I strum along to MP3 on my PC. The MP3 are played through Windows Media Player and I plug my guitar into a Behringer GDI plugged into an M-Audio USB interface. My system runs XP.
  • BobLobLawBobLobLaw Frets: 1
    edited April 2020
    Ya
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    BobLobLaw said:

My own thoughts are maybe I need to get something like a Focusrite, plugged into a laptop, and would I then set the levels so that when I play I hear a properly mixed output from monitor speakers and amp or just monitor speakers.

This is what I do.

I just play an isolated guitar track to the mp3 then add the backing track in later. Adjust levels inside Reaper.
    edited April 2020
    Ta
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited March 2020
    I use www.guitarbackingtrack.com

Most of the backing tracks have all of the guitar parts removed. Sometimes there are multiple versions and you can have the rhythm guitar in the background and so you can use these.

If not, then you can learn all the guitar parts in a song you can overlay them on the backing track using Reaper (or another DAW) and an interface. Your Katana can already act as an interface so no need for Focusrite in your case:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeJH1gfgQw 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    Download the backing track,  add it as track 1 in Reaper.  Create track 2 in Reaper and record yourselfplaying along to it on track 2. Mix,  master,  render,  publish. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited March 2020
    How would you do this on an ipad with a focusrite itrack solo? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020

Bob
    edited April 2020
    Ok
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I use backing tracks usually off youtube ..goes into the mac through a focusrite forte and use bias fx for the sounds ....to record video you need something called soundflower and this enables to play into the computer record the the vis and backing at the same time  
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4155

I use iPads  but have not done this yet. But the itrack solo plugs direct in to your iPad  although you will need to power the itrack . Drop your backing track into garageband in track 1 and record your guitar over track 2.

if you have iOS 13 on your iPad you can download backing tracks and they should appear in the files folder. If you don’t you should be able to use the documents app . It has a built in browser and you can download files into the apps folder and share them from there. It is a really useful app.

ive not recorded much on my iPad just tested it . A camera adapter also allows you to plug in microphones and midi keyboards,korg volca  etc. Also there is an app called audiobus which allows you to link lots of audio apps together to record through etc .

sorry I can’t be of more help I’ve not got round to the practicalities of it yet .
  • My solution to this for what’s its worth is buy a small mixing desk with usb out some thing like Allen and Heath Zed I 8 you an then balance your sound using physical knobs and send the mix into your computer
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • How would you do this on an ipad with a focusrite itrack solo? 

I use iPads  but have not done this yet. But the itrack solo plugs direct in to your iPad  although you will need to power the itrack . Drop your backing track into garageband in track 1 and record your guitar over track 2.

if you have iOS 13 on your iPad you can download backing tracks and they should appear in the files folder. If you don’t you should be able to use the documents app . It has a built in browser and you can download files into the apps folder and share them from there. It is a really useful app.

ive not recorded much on my iPad just tested it . A camera adapter also allows you to plug in microphones and midi keyboards,korg volca  etc. Also there is an app called audiobus which allows you to link lots of audio apps together to record through etc .

sorry I can’t be of more help I’ve not got round to the practicalities of it yet .

Thanks, that's great, I'll give it a go.
    edited April 2020
    Gggg
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Download the backing track,  add it as track 1 in Reaper.  Create track 2 in Reaper and record yourselfplaying along to it on track 2. Mix,  master,  render,  publish. 
    BobLobLaw said:
    I think my question of yesterday got lost in this Hijack?
    Any ideas please
    Think @fastonebaz has covered it concisely and accurately.
    I use AVC to download the backing tracks off You Tube, then covert them to a Wav file, again using AVC. You can then drag them into a track in Reaper. 
    edited April 2020
    Ta
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4155
    You should be able to play the katana direct via usb. Try audacity it seems quite simple to use or GarageBand if you have a Mac . Like you said you could use a cheap interface like a focusrite. Behringer do a very affordable one based on a famous design . 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    just play along to a video from your laptop like this old fella

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    Never 
    edited April 2020
    You should be able to play the katana direct via usb. Try audacity it seems quite simple to use or GarageBand if you have a Mac . Like you said you could use a cheap interface like a focusrite. Behringer do a very affordable one based on a famous design . 
    Thanks 
This discussion has been closed.