Music Man Cutlass Bass?

What's Hot
TedTed Frets: 126
I wondered what people thought about this an all round, versatile bass. My understanding is the more famous Stingray is a harder 'in yourface' bass, which I am not really looking for

I have a music man guitar which is very impressive in terms of quality and sound, so I have an affinity with the brand.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I absolutely love Music Man basses, and while the StingRay is my favourite I keep being drawn to the Cutlass. I think it's the slightly more refined styling and 7.5" radius that does it, it's much more traditional. I used to have a Sandberg California Series bass and the aesthetics are very similar. If I was looking for an all-rounder than still packs a great punch, this would definitely be high on the list!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    edited March 2020
    Ted said:
    I wondered what people thought about this an all round, versatile bass. My understanding is the more famous Stingray is a harder 'in yourface' bass, which I am not really looking for

I have a music man guitar which is very impressive in terms of quality and sound, so I have an affinity with the brand.
    There's a lovely one on offer at Guitar Village right now!

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/music-man-cutlass-bass-black-ex-demo-rrp-1999
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Presumably, this Discussion refers to the current Cutlass Bass. EBMM used the name, back in the Eighties, on a Stingray derivative with a GRP neck.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    As a devoted Precision player, that bass ticks all the boxes for me. But what would make it a better buy than a US Fender?
  • Are the neck/nut widths on these like a P-bass as the styling would suggest, or are the J-bass width (or somewhere in between)?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Er, EBMM USA build quality. The neck profile.

THINKS: Other than the Custom Shop, is Fender currently offering a US-made P bass with a 7.25" fingerboard radius?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Are the neck/nut widths on these like a P-bass as the styling would suggest, or are the J-bass width (or somewhere in between)?
    Nut width is 41.3mm, so somewhere between Jazz and P would be my guess.

I really wish manufacturers or sellers would give width at 12th fret in addition to nut width.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Keefy said:
    As a devoted Precision player, that bass ticks all the boxes for me. But what would make it a better buy than a US Fender?
    It will be built better for a start. Less chance of getting a dodgy one.

Annoying pickup mounting though. Would mean swapping pickups needs more work.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Keefy said:

If I was ever to buy one it would be because it was great as-is, not with a P/U swap in mind!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Keefy said:
    Keefy said:

If I was ever to buy one it would be because it was great as-is, not with a P/U swap in mind!
    I think I've only ever had 1 instrument where I've kept the original pickups.

Even my Stingray!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • honkytonkhonkytonk Frets: 34
    I bought one of the Cutlass basses on special at Guitar Guitar a month or so ago. Ivory white with maple fingerboard it’s now my #1 go to bass.
    While I’ve been on the lookout for either a Caprice or Classic Sabre bass I saw on basschat a link to another nice Cutlass at Promenade Music

https://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Musicman-Cutlass-Bass-Diamond-Blue
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    edited April 2020
    There will only ever be one Cutlass bass for me - with the graphite neck.  Fantastic sounding instruments although with neck issues on many.

[This space for rent]