Fender Caribbean Mist

What's Hot
adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
So I’ve come across an American Standard Tele in Caribbean Mist which I like the look of and was wondering if anyone has more info on the colour? 

It appears that it was possibly only about during 1993 and mostly for a 40 anniversary Strat with the exception of a few Tele’s being made.

If it’s as rare as things are looking at the moment it does add to the GAS ... 

But I guess it could just be lack of info on the internet as 90’s guitars aren’t really sort after as such at the moment. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited March 2020
    I don't know anything about the history of it but I know it's a lovely colour.

This threads about one:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/1993-usa-tele-question-for-the-pros.947902/

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    It looks a lot like Teal Green
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2629
    Sounds like a euphemism for drunk: "So, he found a bottle of rum he'd forgotten about in the back of a cupboard and now he's wandering around in a Caribbean mist".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I had a Strat in it - it was a '94, with the 40th Anniversary flag badge on the headstock.

It's an odd colour to photograph, when I tried it always seemed to look quite blue, but it was in fact very green to look at. This is about the best I can do for the actual colour - outdoor gig. I apologise for my appearance, it must have been 1994 as the guitar was brand new :).

Hope that makes the GAS go away ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18725
    Looks very close to the Ocean Turquoise that they do Jaguar's in.
    1998 Fender Jaguar 62 Vintage Reissue Guitar Ocean Turquoise w
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks very close to the Ocean Turquoise that they do Jaguar's in.
    No, it's much greener than that - much less blue than the Tele in the earlier link too, although the last shot, the close-up of the bridge, isn't too far away if you look at the colour at the top of the pic next to the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Caribbean mist first appeared in the strat plus range in 1993.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Just Googled.

It's a lovely colour and you should buy it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Talk about synchronicity... :o
    I hadn't heard of Caribbean Mist as a colour before this thread today.
    Then I found this   https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/175370/wtb-guitar-made-in-1993#latest

Which led to this https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/pre-loved-fender-american-standard-telecaster-caribbean-mist#product-details
    Wow, that is bloody gorgeous!
    That's showing as much bluer than the colour really is too. It's amazingly hard to photograph accurately for some reason. Even if you Google it, the vast majority of examples look blue, not green - although this one is actually very close to the real colour -

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    I like !!
    ICBM said:
    That's showing as much bluer than the colour really is too. It's amazingly hard to photograph accurately for some reason. Even if you Google it, the vast majority of examples look blue, not green - although this one is actually very close to the real colour -

Agreed about the colour rendition. I think we should just stick to it being blue or gold  ;)
    Far less confusion.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It is very odd - in almost every photograph it looks definitely 'blue', whereas the real colour, although still turquoise of sorts, is clearly on the 'green' side of the line. I never even thought of mine as any kind of blue until I tried to photograph it, and then it always just looked wrong. That grainy outdoor pic is the only one I ever saw where it looked remotely like it did in real life.

Absolutely classic early-90s colour though :) - along with the pink Fender strap, original Super Champ (which was only ten years old then!) and Boss OS-2... even more amazingly, I think I'm actually still using the same guitar lead.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    edited March 2020
    I’ve owned three 93/94 Strats in this colour. It’s *gorgeous*.

I’d love to own another!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    So, you're thinking about buying a green guitar?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
    Sassafras said:
    So, you're thinking about buying a green guitar?

Kinda of... It's more if something that I want to own comes up and it comes up in some sort of rare/custom colour I would rather get it. Incase I wanna sell it later it would hopefully standout more unlike say a black or sunburst would.
  • adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
    ICBM said:
    It is very odd - in almost every photograph it looks definitely 'blue', whereas the real colour, although still turquoise of sorts, is clearly on the 'green' side of the line. I never even thought of mine as any kind of blue until I tried to photograph it, and then it always just looked wrong. That grainy outdoor pic is the only one I ever saw where it looked remotely like it did in real life.

Absolutely classic early-90s colour though :) - along with the pink Fender strap, original Super Champ (which was only ten years old then!) and Boss OS-2... even more amazingly, I think I'm actually still using the same guitar lead.
    I have the same problem with my Jag in Ocean Turquoise! Which looks completely different shade of blue/green/turquoise in every photo.

I think the 90's vibe of it is what is drawing me in. I used to like my guitars to be classic colours (sunburst,black,white ect..) 
    But now I like all the weird and wonderful ones.
    adam1990 said:

Kinda of... It's more if something that I want to own comes up and it comes up in some sort of rare/custom colour I would rather get it. Incase I wanna sell it later it would hopefully standout more unlike say a black or sunburst would.
    Apart from selling my Caribbean Mist Strat, the one I regret is not buying a Strat Plus in the very rare Firestorm finish when I was offered it - at the time, it was no more expensive than a normal Strat Plus. I thought the finish was too weird and 'metal'.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I had one, a 1994 'Anniversary' model. My first 'proper' guitar. My dad lent me the £599 for it (a fortune to me then) and I paid him back over 3 years working Saturdays and after school jobs. Played it all through my school bands and the first original bands I was in, wrote all my first songs on it. 

Then, when we went on our first proper UK tour, some scumbag stole it while we were loading the van. I've never seen it since.

Possibly where my hatred of Strats comes from now....

I'd love to find it again, I've got the case and all the candy and I can tell you every mark and divot on it (up to 2001) to confirm it was mine.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    I had one, a 1994 'Anniversary' model. My first 'proper' guitar. My dad lent me the £599 for it (a fortune to me then) and I paid him back over 3 years working Saturdays and after school jobs. Played it all through my school bands and the first original bands I was in, wrote all my first songs on it. 

Then, when we went on our first proper UK tour, some scumbag stole it while we were loading the van. I've never seen it since.

Possibly where my hatred of Strats comes from now....

I'd love to find it again, I've got the case and all the candy and I can tell you every mark and divot on it (up to 2001) to confirm it was mine.

such guitars always mean so much more when you look at the purchase story, loan from the dad bank with appropriate payment stories,  plus early gigs etc

interesting how the colour of yours looks so different to other pics posted above - that pic is more how I remember them - Not seen one for many months