First Bass

What's Hot
RyderRyder Frets: 3
Hi. Playing guitar a couple of years and fancy trying a bass guitar. I've had a look around at beginner instruments etc and TBH feel I probably identify more with the bass lines of songs than anything else.

The 'problem' is that any discussion I've come across online is that it's an instrument that you play in a band rather than alone. I'm 40 with a busy job and kids so joining a band is nowhere on my radar...just jamming to songs. 

So is anyone here a bedroom bassist or am I wasting my time adding it to guitar as a hobby?

(Appreciate that it's almost impossible to answer but would appreciate some views of people who play)

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I was for years before I finally joined a band as a bassist. You are absolutely not wasting your time - while bass isn't very rewarding to play as a solo instrument, it's great for jamming to songs or backing tracks, and it will improve your musicality tremendously if you work out counter-melodies as well as finding the roots.

The good news is that you can get a perfectly functional bass for around £100, and at that it will usually be a better instrument than most guitars of the same price, because a basic bass is slightly simpler. You don't even need an amp, at least initially - at bedroom volume it's perfectly safe to play through a guitar amp. Do it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Do it. What you choose to buy depends on budget. Jazz bass is generally easier to play than a Precision for a guitarist.

I had a Harley Benton shortscale P which was good for the money. I play a VM Jazz which I thought was better than a MIM Fender.

Obviously you can't try before you buy currently.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Do it.

My first was a Yamaha SBV "Samurai" 500. Didn't really apply myself to it (it was pure GAS most likely).

Still have my second - a Yamaha BEX4 semi - love it to bits - I have some basics lines off pat now, but I wouldn't class myself other than a dabbler. I've had a new set of flatwounds for it for ages, just lacked the impetus to change the strings.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Jalapeno said:
     I've had a new set of flatwounds for it for ages, just lacked the impetus to change the strings.
    You are a classic bassist
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    ICBM said:
     - while bass isn't very rewarding to play as a solo instrument,

Disagree.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Ryder said:
    I probably identify more with the bass lines of songs than anything else.
    This is a good start. Bass and drums are the portions of the music to which one shakes one's booty. 

Ryder said:
    an instrument that you play in a band rather than alone. 
    I consider bass to be a function rather than an instrument. It could be contrabass, electric bass guitar, synthesizer, tuba, 'cello in a string quartet, even the lower string group of a Chapman Stick.

It is possible to perform solo/unaccompanied music on bass guitar but you probably need to be of near-virtuoso standard if you expect anyone to listen for more than fifteen seconds. Things make a lot more sense when played over drummage. (This is the essence of the group Primus. Flashy bass over complex drumming with "textural" guitar layered on top.)

ICBM said:
    you can get a perfectly functional bass for around £100
    The usual suspects are Squier, Cort, Yamaha, Ibanez/Soundgear and OLP/S.U.B. Unwanted Crimbo and/or birthday presents turn up at charity shops and car boot sales. Often sold as "not working" when the only thing wrong is a failed solder joint or the volume pot has worked loose and one of the cables has accidentally been disconnected. 

Another source of bargains - outside COVID19 restrictions - is part-exchange trade-in items at your local music store BEFORE they get workshop attention. (Sold as seen. Repair it yourself. Quick turn around for the shop proprietor and no time wasted on the bench. Everybody wins.)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:

Disagree.

I disagree too!
    If you want to play along to songs, then go for it!

I've always been more of a lead-bassist and have never been content with plodding along in the background.

As for instruments, if you buy a decent one used, then you should probably be able to sell it for what you paid, thus making it a zero-cost experiment.
    prowla said:
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:
    Disagree.
    I disagree too!
    You must be much fancier at bass than me then :). I just don't find it particularly interesting to either play or listen to other than in a song context.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RyderRyder Frets: 3
    Thanks. Appreciate all the replies. Want to support local so will wait until this is all over and buy in my local store...

I don't sing and most of my playing currently is along with a drum or backing track. Not creative enough to write my own music and I dont sing so will plan to play bass along with the songs

But some bass lines are absolutely magical on their own...eg Billy Jean, Ironman etc  could listen all day
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Jalapeno said:
     I've had a new set of flatwounds for it for ages, just lacked the impetus to change the strings.
    I didn't know bass players changed strings.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Freebird said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Only when they break one.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    proggy said:
    Freebird said:
    Jalapeno said:
    But then that's an excuse to buy a new bass  :3
    mbe said:
    proggy said:
    Freebird said:

But then that's an excuse to buy a new bass  :3
    There's a story about James Jamerson like that - supposedly one of the strings on his bass unravelled in the studio, so he put a new string on. It sounded totally wrong compared to the other old ones, so he then went around various pawnshops until he found another bass with the right type of string - the shop owner wouldn't sell him just the string, so he had to buy the whole bass...

No idea if that's true or not, but if your sound involves ancient strings than I could see replacing one being a problem, for sure.

That sounds like a variation on the John Entwistle story from when he was overdubbing the bass guitar solo in My Generation. In that example, it was roundwound strings on a Danelectro ... and ... he broke a string on two occasions. 
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:
    Disagree.
    I disagree too!
    You must be much fancier at bass than me then :). I just don't find it particularly interesting to either play or listen to other than in a song context.

Lead bass!

I was in one band and the drummer used to say I was putting too much in, to which I'd reply that he wasn't putting enough in...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Bass is not a lead instrument in spite of what a number of posters here say.  The job of a bassist is vastly more important than that, together with the drummer they form the foundation of the music.  People move instinctively to bass sounds.  The lead guitarist can widdle away to his hearts content but it is the drums & bass that make listeners want to dance.

Go for it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Some bass players know their place and others make their place.
    It's up to you whether you want to let someone else set your rules and define you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RyderRyder Frets: 3
    Hi. Looks like shops wont open any time soon and bass stock already limited so have been looking online.

Decided on a roland microcube bass amp (already have the standard versions and it's my favourite amp)

Trying to decide on a bass....know I wont get a chance to try one first so would like some opinions on these. (I know the squire is probably the safest option but would like something a bit different unless its risky)
    1. Sterling S.U.B
    2. Schecter Omen 4
    3. EST LTD 204
    4. Squire CV 70s Precision

Thanks
    edited April 2020
    Quite a price variation, there. 

Of your shortlist, an accountant would recommend the Sterling or the Squier, if only for ease of resale. A modifier would recommend the Schecter. Its EMG35-sized pickups are easy to upgrade. The bass could be made to sound like almost anything you choose.

The LTD is a fairly straightforward PJ copy, hamstrung with a trade mark avoidance headstock shape. 

The Squier is hamstrung by its cosmetics. Specifically, the black block inlays. Apart from the decal, the discontinued Vintage Modified series is the same quality instrument for less money.

All four instruments originate from the same factory. (Cost, Indonesia.) Thus, it might be worthwhile investigating other makes and models from the same source. i.e. Ibanez/Soundgear, Sire, Cort et cetera.

In my opinion, your list should also include Yamaha.

Finally, the MSRP of a Schecter should secure a pre-owned example of something more upmarket.