Favourite Bass

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
The best bass I've owned (out of 50+) was a Marleaux Consat Fretless 5 - Truly wonderful.

So this has to be my favourite to date, but I'm yet to get my hands on one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtHZNQW6ZU
What's yours?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    About as different from that as it's possible to be while still being a bass...

Rickenbacker 4001.

Although I do like Aria SBs as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited March 2020
    Ooo they're not miles off (definitely influenced). I did have a John Birch 4001 as one of my first basses...

https://www.marleaux-bass.com/uploads/pics/consat-4-silver.jpg
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0002/7882/2974/products/IMG_7797.jpg?v=1553623353
    I've never tried an Aria SB, as I got tempted away by a Peavey Cirrus 4 string, but 35" scale, so I sold it quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    Mine was a Marleaux as well. Consat Custom 5.

I had to sell it as due to medical issues it was too heavy.
    Im still gutted. 
    Mine was a Marleaux as well. Consat Custom 5.

I had to sell it as due to medical issues it was too heavy.
    Im still gutted. 
    Ah I wish I could have given you mine - It was really light, but I had no money at the time.

I think the top was pearwood and this is exactly what it was like...

https://www.doctorbass.net/imagftp/im21005172644Marleaux-Consat-Fretless-Edition-5-Special.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Still my Stingray. Natural body, black guard, unfinished maple neck. First "proper" instrument I bought (had a variety of cheap-and-cheerfuls beforehand) and it was a proper Wayne's World moment when I saw it hanging on the wall in the shop. That was in 2004. Still my number one and the only bass that I'll NEVER part with. 
    edited March 2020
    mike257 said:
    Still my Stingray. Natural body, black guard, unfinished maple neck. First "proper" instrument I bought (had a variety of cheap-and-cheerfuls beforehand) and it was a proper Wayne's World moment when I saw it hanging on the wall in the shop. That was in 2004. Still my number one and the only bass that I'll NEVER part with. 
    I had a '94 Sterling in black/black/maple that I traded to John Birch for and I was quite content with it, but people kept going "ah but it's not a Stingray' and when I switched, I really missed that neck profile! The alnico pickup in the 'Ray is better IMO. I wouldn't recommend those from the 90s, even if they have the bridge mutes, as a lot of them have dead spots on the neck unfortunately.

I really like the sound of a Ray with flats, just because it gave me a bit more 'control'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Rickenbacker 4001 here too.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    How's the bass on this?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Hadrien Feraud Mayones 5 string bass

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    4 string P Bass, tuned BEAD.
    Sunburst with tortoise guard.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    octatonic said:
    4 string P Bass, tuned BEAD.
    Sunburst with tortoise guard.
    How about DGCF?

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    The best bass I've owned is a Fender Jazz Bass, I've had two. Not the most expensive basses I've owned but I absolutely love the look of them,the sound of them and the feel of the neck.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Hmmm - let me think about that...

Nope - I know it's in there but I can't make my mind up!
    2reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    The best bass I've owned is a Fender Jazz Bass, I've had two. Not the most expensive basses I've owned but I absolutely love the look of them,the sound of them and the feel of the neck.
    That's what I play currently with flats - Very no frills, but comfy. I do miss the 24 frets of the marleaux.prowla said:

A very well earned wow! Always wanted the Chris squire model
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I'm very fortunate in that I own my favourite bass - my 5-string Warwick Thumb NT.

Wanted one forever, and finally grabbed it in November. It is not very versatile and far too heavy, with very weird balance, and I couldn't give a shit about that because it is utterly wonderful.

That said - I still want a 4-string passive P, and a white Thunderbird too. But they're wants, not needs.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I really wanted the Jack Bruce Thumb - He's my favourite bassist.

I've owned a Streamer, but I prefer the Thumb.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398

1984 Westone Thunder II. Set neck and slightly smaller scale works for me, sounds massive
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Schnozz said:
    mike257 said:
    I had a '94 Sterling in black/black/maple that I traded to John Birch for and I was quite content with it, but people kept going "ah but it's not a Stingray' and when I switched, I really missed that neck profile! The alnico pickup in the 'Ray is better IMO. I wouldn't recommend those from the 90s, even if they have the bridge mutes, as a lot of them have dead spots on the neck unfortunately.

I really like the sound of a Ray with flats, just because it gave me a bit more 'control'.
    I bought a similar Stingray to mike's, from Bridgehouse, a couple of years ago, it has a tortoiseshell guard, but otherwise the same, and D'Addario Chromes (flats) on it. I love it. It's a serious beast of a thing. 

I do have a bad itch for a nice Precision though.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    prowla said:

that is mental!!! Brilliant! Love that photo, mate, that is dedication!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2949
    Schnozz said:
    ........ I did have a John Birch 4001 as one of my first basses...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32788909147_15a667236c_k.jpg
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'