Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Did this super hard on on vero. Only my second go at wiring up without a daughterboard, still haven't got a technique really, which shows. A purple knob would have looked better in hindsight. I need this for my board anyway. I used an 8.2nf input cap to cut a little low end

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    roberty said:
    Did this super hard on on vero. Only my second go at wiring up without a daughterboard, still haven't got a technique really, which shows. A purple knob would have looked better in hindsight. I need this for my board anyway. I used an 8.2nf input cap to cut a little low end

Nice work! I like your pink knob. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Fuengi said:
    Finished my Echo Dream kit build from Fuzzdog. I've called it the Replica Fuzz Fantasy, don't know why, everything needs a name.

Sounds absolutely great. Lots going on with a nice delay, Fuzz and modulation plus wet and dry and waveform switches, gets nuts with everything up.

That looks great. How did you do the graphics?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rsvmark said:
    Fuengi said:
    Finished my Echo Dream kit build from Fuzzdog. I've called it the Replica Fuzz Fantasy, don't know why, everything needs a name.

Sounds absolutely great. Lots going on with a nice delay, Fuzz and modulation plus wet and dry and waveform switches, gets nuts with everything up.

That looks great. How did you do the graphics?

Thanks. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, especially the colours.

First thing I did was sand down the enclosure with wet & dry paper, that makes a huge difference and provides a nice level surface work on. It also shines up the aluminium. The paintwork is just Posca Pens in a hatch pattern at 90°. I then sanded that paintwork down to get the effect you see.

For the graphics, I took the template and inserted it into an AutoCAD drawing and scaled it. I created the design in AutoCAD and printed to a clear sticky back A4 inkjet paper. Cut it out and oversprayed it with a Rustolium clear coat. Cut out the holes with a sharp blade.

Its all fairly simple and great fun. I'm an AutoCAD user by trade so that was a doddle for me, but I'm sure other programmes are just as good if you can scale the enclosure accurately.

Not 100% happy with the knobs and the washers obscure some of the graphics so will play around with those. 

Had a feeling you had something to do with design by trade @Fuengi - it shows :-)
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 548
    I genuinely had not seen this thread till after completing my first pedal kit yesterday and am properly impressed by all your amazing skills in here! Makes my effort seem very amateur indeed, however I'll upload my efforts to show a beginners first attempt :)

I genuinely had not seen this thread till after completing my first pedal kit yesterday and am properly impressed by all your amazing skills in here! Makes my effort seem very amateur indeed, however I'll upload my efforts to show a beginners first attempt :)

Looks great, what is the circuit?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 548
    edited July 2020
    It's a GMR Spares, BC Dallas Treble Boost.  

Nice! So that's point to point wiring, no PCB? (I'm a complete newby to building). 
    Fuengi said:

Nice! So that's point to point wiring, no PCB? (I'm a complete newby to building). 
    Looks like tag board. Nice build, very tidy
    Decals this morning :-) my favourite bit now

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    roberty said:
    Decals this morning :-) my favourite bit now

Struggling to understand why Large Fanny is somehow more outrageous (to a Brit) than Big Muff.

The cassette graphic is worthy of a JHS creation.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    @Roberty - just catching up on this stuff. I see you've gone for the classy approach for some of these graphics and titles...

They look good though!  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I think Extra Large Fanny would be funnier though (and more ambiguous)

Still waiting for the Kegel Tight Drive
    Pedal
    Doesn’t take much to amuse me these days
    I almost went with "hungry devouring twat" but thought the reference was too obscure

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did a mini super hard on today. Someone asked if I would build them one so I did

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    @roberty nice neat work.

On another note, can I seek advice on LEDs please. Planning my next build which will be another fuzzdog kit. I would like to improve on the LED indicator. Ideally I would like to put in an LED with some sort of bezel. So I am thinking I will need to drill out the enclosure a little and put in a bezel and led. A quick google reveals 3mm or 5mm. Assuming 3mm is preferred for fx. Also (daft question) are all LEDs the same? I have no idea what to ask for / order if I go down this route. Advice welcome
    tia

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    rsvmark said:
    @roberty nice neat work.

On another note, can I seek advice on LEDs please. Planning my next build which will be another fuzzdog kit. I would like to improve on the LED indicator. Ideally I would like to put in an LED with some sort of bezel. So I am thinking I will need to drill out the enclosure a little and put in a bezel and led. A quick google reveals 3mm or 5mm. Assuming 3mm is preferred for fx. Also (daft question) are all LEDs the same? I have no idea what to ask for / order if I go down this route. Advice welcome
    tia

5mm works for me with 15k CLR. The plastic bezels from bitsbox are really nice. The hole squeezes the bezel tight around the LED and holds it in place. The holes you need are the same size as the holes for the pot shafts.
    Oh some LEDs have short legs so you can't solder them directly into the daughterboards. Try to get some with long enough legs it'll save a lot of faff