Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1108
    edited May 2022
    Cirrus said:
    Maybe the seller means "not finished" rather than "not working"?
    Looked back on the listings, some he knows aren’t working, some he says he can’t remember whether they worked or not 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    TTBZ said:
    Has anyone made the Fuzzdogs Prince of Tone clone - any good? Having just tried and really liked an original Bluesbreaker I wouldn't mind trying the PoT circuit without spending a small fortune. 
    Yes I have, and I have an original Bluesbreaker - I wanted that sort of sound but in a smaller box. They’re similar, the PoT is tighter in the bottom end, in a good way. Maybe also a touch more gain. 
    Cool thanks @springhead & @stickyfiddle will probably give that one a go then!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Cirrus said:
    Maybe the seller means "not finished" rather than "not working"?

That's what I was thinking, seem very cheap though?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2022
    Did another muff blender for another bassist friend

Had problems with Q5 and the 1uF guy got a bit melty oops. I got some bad 5457s from eBay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited July 2022
    bought a RAT clone of ebay and it came as lots of clones do in a plane enclosure, so I wanted to add something to finish it off.

I remembered someone on here mentioned etched plates so i did a quick design and got it made by these guys on eBay.

Looks pretty smart for £2.60

Pedal is off this guy - and I it's great fun, but it's the only RAT style pedal I've tried so no point of reference. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblack said:
    bought a RAT clone of ebay and it came as lots of clones do in a plane enclosure, so I wanted to add something to finish it off.

I remembered someone on here mentioned etched plates so i did a quick design and got it made by these guys on eBay.

Pedal is off this guy - and I it's great fun, but it's the only RAT style pedal I've tried so no point of reference. 
    Link doesn't seen to work. Will defo check the ebay though. Looks good 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @Cookiemonster should both be working now. M
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblack said:
    @Cookiemonster should both be working now. M
    Thanks 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1108
    Rehoused a broadcast built by @Cirrus ;

And finished a klon

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    markblack said:

Link doesn't seen to work. Will defo check the ebay though. Looks good 
    That looks really cool 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited July 2022
    That's excellent for that price! 

Might try something like this, if I ever get back into it.

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1497
    As advised in a separate thread, I've made my own Orange Squeezer clone using a Fuzzdog kit. It's been my first ever build, and I've enjoyed every minute of it, not least because my 11 year old daughter has helped me identify the resistors and measure them, and... she also soldered the 3PDT to the daughterboard! She was adamant that she had accumulated enough practice at her 'design & technology' lessons at school, and begged me to let her do it. So I did. I will admit that I suffered a little bit when she was doing the first two pins, but it was 'ok' in the end. What a fantastic memento of a pedal. I don't think I'll be selling this. Plus it makes my strat+Marshall sing. 

The main PCB:

The assembled box:

And the closed box:

Loved it. I might make more things in the near future.

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    Nice work @Yorkie. My 11 year old son failed at elementary "coldy holdy" principles (despite warnings) when I helped him with some electronics for a school project earlier this year so I'd say your experience was much more successful. The switch soldering looks alright. Been meaning to try an orange squeezer for a while. Might have to finally give it a go.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Nice work @Yorkie. My 11 year old son failed at elementary "coldy holdy" principles (despite warnings) when I helped him with some electronics for a school project earlier this year so I'd say your experience was much more successful. The switch soldering looks alright. Been meaning to try an orange squeezer for a while. Might have to finally give it a go.
    Thanks, I’ll let her know :)

I found the circuit easy to build, although the Fuzzdog version does not have a lot of space. So for example I had to mount a diode (main pcb) and a resistor (clr on the daughterboard) vertically. As it was my first build, I wasn’t really expecting any of this. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Yorkie said:

I found the circuit easy to build, although the Fuzzdog version does not have a lot of space. So for example I had to mount a diode (main pcb) and a resistor (clr on the daughterboard) vertically. As it was my first build, I wasn’t really expecting any of this. 

Jon
    So-called ‘barrel mounting’ has been done for years to save PCB space. Can’t remember whether Fuzzdog’s instructions are clear on it though.
    Hi @roberty do you mind if I ask you a few questions about your recent build?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    @yorkie that looks like excellent work for a first build. It's definitely a bug that will grab you if you let it... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Keefy said:
    Yorkie said:

Jon
    So-called ‘barrel mounting’ has been done for years to save PCB space. Can’t remember whether Fuzzdog’s instructions are clear on it though.
    I just saw the available space and couldn't think of any other way to mount the components; I said "it's not like they're gonna sound any different for being vertical" while my daughter stared at me in apparent shock. Like so many things in my life, I seem to have re-invented something :expressionless: 

There is no mention of it on the Fuzzdog docs – we found them a bit... Spartan? We did the daughterboard first – yes, daughter said she wanted to do the daughterboard :joy: – and found ourselves with a tiny space for the CLR resistor, with nothing on the docs saying how to mount it. Also, the lugs on the stereo jack showing the connections to battery and DC socket did not match our connector (lugs were reversed); pretty confusing indeed :confounded: 

But it all added to the sense of adventure though. Controlled panic followed by hard thinking, culminated with success and great tone. Best £40 I've spent in a long time.

Jon

@yorkie that looks like excellent work for a first build. It's definitely a bug that will grab you if you let it... 
    Thanks! The next thing I have to build is a passive cab sim for my Marshall Class 5. Then I will try and get me some fuzz.

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    edited July 2022
    Yorkie said:
    Keefy said:
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks, I’ll let her know

Jon
    I just saw the available space and couldn't think of any other way to mount the components; I said "it's not like they're gonna sound any different for being vertical" while my daughter stared at me in apparent shock. Like so many things in my life, I seem to have re-invented something expressionless 

There is no mention of it on the Fuzzdog docs – we found them a bit... Spartan? We did the daughterboard first – yes, daughter said she wanted to do the daughterboard joy – and found ourselves with a tiny space for the CLR resistor, with nothing on the docs saying how to mount it. Also, the lugs on the stereo jack showing the connections to battery and DC socket did not match our connector (lugs were reversed); pretty confusing indeed confounded 

But it all added to the sense of adventure though. Controlled panic followed by hard thinking, culminated with success and great tone. Best £40 I've spent in a long time.

Jon

Totally fine to fit the pots that way, I think that's how Fuzz Dog may have planned it.

I would try and shorten wires next time. It helps with noise issues. 

You can place the board and pots on the other side with the switch. To help measure the length of wire needed. 

Especially helpful when you don't use a ribbon cable