Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That's awesome @stickyfiddle I am big on tremolo when not playing stupid heavy. How do the harmonics sound?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    It's a very nice harmonic trem. Not too phasy/univiby in stock config, but what's really impressive is you have a bunch of dips witches so you can control the crossover point for low and high frequencies separately so you can go for maximum high/low throbby stuff if that's your thing.

And dead quiet too. I read one guy on Reddit complaining about hiss or hum but I've had no issues. The initial quick "make sure it basically works before I put the knobs on" test turned into 20 minutes of Strat, JanRay and this. LUSH. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    It's a very nice harmonic trem. Not too phasy/univiby in stock config, but what's really impressive is you have a bunch of dips witches so you can control the crossover point for low and high frequencies separately so you can go for maximum high/low throbby stuff if that's your thing.

And dead quiet too. I read one guy on Reddit complaining about hiss or hum but I've had no issues. The initial quick "make sure it basically works before I put the knobs on" test turned into 20 minutes of Strat, JanRay and this. LUSH. 
    I spy a couple of LDR thingies on that board. There's something about opto-based trem and phasing that does it for me.
    Fresh knobs!

And balls!! (couldn't resist - there's a joke here about tip cleaning as well but I'll quit while I'm ahead...)

Aha...

That's a lot of knobs! I presume the one on the right is a KOT clone?

Had another go with my Ram's Head Pi fuzz today, this time into simulated amps on my Revival Drive - sounds immense! Waiting for some purple knobs to arrive, which will obviously make it sound even better.

Also contemplating a Blue Fool (modded MXR Blue Box) kit, but I really need to crack on with my amp build!
    Aha...

Ooh...
    Yeah, too many knobs. And combined with the Banzai ones it's FAR more knobs than I have pots to put them on, but that just means I have to build more in future :D 

Left is the Death Drive (essentially a Green Ringer into Rat, with some circuit tweaks and extra controls), because Rats are life and I don't have anything this doomy.

Right is "KOT with everything" because sod waiting 18 months and paying 300 quid :) 

I like the textured-powder-coated enclosures too. The only question is whether demo labels stick to them...
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 882
    What's a good soldering iron for pedal building ?

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1088
    What's a good soldering iron for pedal building ?
    This one worked for me - Silverline 643115 Soldering Iron, 25 W https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000O56TSI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5I5SEbJG5N8A7
    I’m using a Weller 25W, which does the job nicely. Occasionally I find tips basically eat themselves and don’t last long, but usually fine.
  • steersteer Frets: 1161
    I've just ordered a Fuzz Factory from Fuzzdogs. I put together a clean boost pedal from them a few years ago which was good.  I have been hankering for a ridiculous fuzz for a while now. 
    Death in progress. Board sorted.

And this is what we call “lights on but nobody home”... :(

It’s not passing any signal in bypass or switched on, suggesting something’s wrong on the switching. I was intentionally very light on the soldering for the switches in case I had to dismantle, but suspect something on the in/out wiring not right, and the multimeter suggests that’s the case. I’ll reflow those joints and hope for the best...
    edited May 2020
    That’s done the trick. There’s still a slight splutter even on bypass (cables definitely ok) so will reflow *again* with loads of solder this time just to make sure everything is 100%. This thing sounds MEAN.

I have a brief clip from my initial switch on which I’ll post once I work out how best to do that.

EDIT: trial imgur link: 

https://i.imgur.com/8z749m5.mp4

I’ll try and get some better YouTube vids done when I get a chance.

Finished! I’m going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Overall a slightly tricky build as I initially tried to fit in a battery but that wasn’t going to happen in the end. It’s also odd because you have to flip over the daughterboard for the boost switch to end up with the LED in the right place, hence the wires for that one being twisted compared to the other. The wiring for the jacks are also flipped left to right so the in/out wires cross over underneath the board. None of these things is any major issue but gave me a little bit to scratch my head about during the build.

There were also a couple of component values that were different on the photo in the build doc. Again not a problem but gave a little confusion as I usually use that as a sanity check before I trim all the component legs after soldering :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    steer said:
    I've just ordered a Fuzz Factory from Fuzzdogs. I put together a clean boost pedal from them a few years ago which was good.  I have been hankering for a ridiculous fuzz for a while now. 
    Nice. I did one of his Fuzz Factories in the early days. It’s a mad circuit. Dead simple but full of brilliant crazy noises
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271

Blimey that looks quality! Particularly like the attention to detail aligning the retaining nuts A++
    edited May 2020
    Been playing with my fuzz dog fuzz factory tonight. It's actually pretty intuitive once you figure it out, with a few random sounds thrown in

Glad you like the death drive @stickyfiddle I absolutely love mine. I've had that same problem with not soldering the switch properly just in case before. Good idea in theory lol

Gone through my parts box for my Zander Foxxton Woods PCB. Pretty much there, just need the case and pots. Looking forward to that one
    timbuk02 said:

Blimey that looks quality! Particularly like the attention to detail aligning the retaining nuts A++
    The powder coating goes a long way, combined with the bigger LEDs in posher bezels. And I’m glad someone spotted the nut alignment. I don’t usually worry but I didn’t want to use the white washer on this one as they looked wrong, then it made it look weird if they were both straight :)

I have the KOT next. That’s going to be more of a hassle nut-washer wise as the LED hole is too close to the switch so after I’ve reamed out the hole to fit the bigger bezel I can’t get the washer on the switch at all... I guess that might also go without the washer, by necessity!
    ... or file a rebate in the washer to accommodate the LED?