4 Way tele mod troubleshooting required

Evening all

Following the NGD, a nice clicky 4 way switch arrived from @gavin_axecaster and I proceeded to fit it. Not being the most experienced I have followed the diagram and instructions..... and spent several hours disassembling and then putting the mod together. I have checked and doubled checked, and done the neck pick up mod..... but to my dismay, I appear to have lost the neck pick up! 

Position 1- bridge, works fine
position 2- sound very similar to position 1
Positiin 3- what should be neck is silent
Position 4- a bridge pickup sound.....

So it’s clear, I have fecked it up but have no idea where I have gone wrong or to trouble shoot. Would anyone be around to help me troubleshoot tomorrow (Sunday) either via pm or FaceTime at a time to suit you?

tia
Mark
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Quick guess: No ground connection to the neck position pickup.

Remote diagnosis would be aided by photographs of your wiring.

For the 4-way switch circuit with series interconnection option to work, it is necessary to separate the neck pickup’s metal cover ground from the start of the coil. (This is usually a short run of uninsulated solid core metal wire.) The Fender Twisted Tele neck position pickup is supplied with three separate conductor wires. Most pickups will need the third wire to be added.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    Quick guess: No ground connection to the neck position pickup.

Remote diagnosis would be aided by photographs of your wiring.

For the 4-way switch circuit with series interconnection option to work, it is necessary to separate the neck pickup’s metal cover ground from the start of the coil. (This is usually a short run of uninsulated solid core metal wire.) The Fender Twisted Tele neck position pickup is supplied with three separate conductor wires. Most pickups will need the third wire to be added.
    Hi @Funkfingers ;
    i have done the mod to the neck pick up- snipped the small wire and added a second ground wire which I think is to the metal cover.... and then followed the wiring diagram. But suspect you are right - on the basis the neck pick up isn’t working. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited March 2020
    Possibility #1 - You have connected the neck pickup’s two ground wires in the wrong places.

Possibility #2 - A mistake on the selector switch jumper wires that complete the path for the neck pickup black conductor to ground.

Possibility #3 - Physical damage to the pickup coil. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    Thanks @Funkfingers  it was#2 error on the jumper wires. Passes the tapping the pick up tests now.

changing the saddles and reassembly next!