Stuck at home Challenge - learn a song that you find difficult

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    hywelg said:
    Apparently our jamming group have opted for Sultans of Swing, My Sharona and Radar Love (long version) as homework for the duration. 

My problem is memory (and talent obviously)
    Love playing My Sharona, both solos are really satisfying to play. Full length self indulgent version of course, not the radio edit of the main solo :)

I've decided to leave my comfort zone, actually use the clean channel on my amp for once and try to learn some stuff by The Smiths. Always loved Johnny Marrs style, just never tried to play like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    hywelg said:
    I finally learned the intro to Little Wing. Not at all complicated but it’s a piece I’ve always wanted to play but never made the effort before. 
    Other than that just trying to build on some ideas I’ve had for original songs but never followed through with. 
    Now go and listen to the SRV version and it makes you want to burn all your guitars. 
    I can play about the first 11 seconds. We'd need this lockdown to last at least a decade for me to get the whole thing down. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    johnl said:
    hywelg said:
    I finally learned the intro to Little Wing. Not at all complicated but it’s a piece I’ve always wanted to play but never made the effort before. 
    Other than that just trying to build on some ideas I’ve had for original songs but never followed through with. 
    Now go and listen to the SRV version and it makes you want to burn all your guitars. 
    I can play about the first 11 seconds. We'd need this lockdown to last at least a decade for me to get the whole thing down. 
    Maybe try The Corrs' version instead :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I'm doing my own version of King Crimson's Fracture. Same as the original but after every 2 bars I've got a pause of 8 bars to massage my wrist. 
    Its 56 minutes long and my wife loves every second of it.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Getting there with Spanish Fly but f#ck me the stretches are brutal ... and I love a big stretch normally ... and being on a nylon acoustic just makes it even harder.

This is proper practice though ... take something you CAN'T do and practice it until you can :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I'm intending to learn some Radiohead, which I've never done before, and use it to learn how to use compressors and delays, and also to work on textures 
    My learning of Subterranean Homesick Alien is not going well
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I started on 'Classical Gas'. I gave up about 2 seconds in.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Ive a couple of 'homework' pieces. Some more about phrasing than technical challenges, and some more for speed/technique. And bear in mind that, to me, nailing the intro to Johnny B Goode is flipping hard work!
    So, for 'phrasing'
    GnR - Dont Cry solos
    Satriani - Ten Words

More 'techniquey' : 
    Extreme - Its a Monster, Decadence Dance (no hope of playing either fully, but would like to get the rhythm down)
    Crazy Train - without the ridiculous solo's
    Pride n Joy - SRV, again, not the solos!
    Glasgow Kiss - Petruccci

So, some doable. Some laughable. All good practice!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I found a set-list from a covers band I was in in 1977/8, so, for a laugh, I tried playing through a few of them. 

I did "Faith Healer" (SAAB) but couldn't remember the solo apart from the last phrase, "Oliver's Army" (chord perfect!), and "Be Good To Yourself" (Frankie Miller).

I'll try some more tomorrow.

• Scotty55Scotty55 Frets: 93
    The Number of the Beast

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I was gonna try and get down house of mirrors or looking glass. I figure I can at least manage the first few chords in the next month or so 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    So it's been about 3 weeks I think maybe 4  ..... This is the best I'm gonna get I think. It's such an improv piece in places that all I can do is get the main repetitive parts as close as possible and the intro \ outro. The trouble with this piece is it's so tiring to play on a nylon acoustic that you can literally do it twice and then you hands are knackered due to the force needed to get the notes to ring out and the insane left hand stretches. I can't find any footage of EVH doing the whole piece live, only the tapping part and even then on electric.

The guitar it's self isn't helping,  with no cutaway getting to the 15th fret quickly is very hard but my main handicap is not being able to pick fast enough, being a mainly legato player. All in all though I've learn some new tricks trying to play this piece so I'm pleased about that. So I'm calling time on this lockdown challenge and gonna move on to something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJGtJTRhwPA&feature=youtu.be
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    Danny1969 said:
    So it's been about 3 weeks I think maybe 4  ..... This is the best I'm gonna get I think. It's such an improv piece in places that all I can do is get the main repetitive parts as close as possible and the intro \ outro. The trouble with this piece is it's so tiring to play on a nylon acoustic that you can literally do it twice and then you hands are knackered due to the force needed to get the notes to ring out and the insane left hand stretches. I can't find any footage of EVH doing the whole piece live, only the tapping part and even then on electric.

The guitar it's self isn't helping,  with no cutaway getting to the 15th fret quickly is very hard but my main handicap is not being able to pick fast enough, being a mainly legato player. All in all though I've learn some new tricks trying to play this piece so I'm pleased about that. So I'm calling time on this lockdown challenge and gonna move on to something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJGtJTRhwPA&feature=youtu.be
    Genuine Wow!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Tried having a go at John Mayer's Neon. In Drop C tuning which is a new one for me.

Think it's gonna take another 3 months of lockdown, never mind 3 weeks, in order to get slick!!!  :s
  • @Danny1969 keep the nylon out and try 'Little Guitars (Intro)' ;)
    Tried having a go at John Mayer's Neon. In Drop C tuning which is a new one for me.

Think it's gonna take another 3 months of lockdown, never mind 3 weeks, in order to get slick!!!  s
       Yeah that's a really difficult technique he use's there .... and then the git sings over the top flawlessly as well ! Awesome player 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Spanish Fly. By 'eck that sounded good! Think i'll stick to 500 Miles...
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Alternative picking, sweep picking, string skipping, and 2 of Neil Geraldo’s finest: solos to Jesses girl and Hit me with your best shot
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    @Danny1969 Great shot at that - most impressive!

I got a transcription in a guitar mag decades ago, took a look and thought Nope, that ain't gonna happen. I haven't revised that opinion in the ensuing years.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    axisus said:
    Satriani's Always with me always with you

Wait for sleep by Dream Theater. 
    Update. Satch I got a bit further but as usual forgot it all ....

DT - bloody hard piece. I've got a bit further but taking a break at the moment. 

I haven't been sat on my arse though, I've done a couple of piano arrangements for two (soppy) songs and against the odds I have also memorised them! I'm getting closer to nailing awesome piano piece River flows in you, and I worked out the short slower section that seems to be missing from all the sheet music.