No amp, pedal boards

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
So who is rocking preamp pedals/modellers etc on their pedal board? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 916
    Currently a Joyo American Sound at the end of my board so I can go direct for teaching online without disturbing the baby. By itself it's ok, but I'm getting a bit more amp-like response by also having the Rothwell Love Squeeze compressor always on (subtly) and a bit of reverb from my EQA Levitation, also always on. 

Thoroughly enjoying that tone through headphones, which I never thought I'd say!
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    I treat my Fairfield Barbershop Modele B as a preamp with the signal eventually running into a Neunaber Iconoclast.
    Sounds great and means I can have amp like tone and response through my home stereo or in headphones.
    Will look to record expand to record DI stuff later this year.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    Yep... Two Notes Le Clean and CAB M on the end of my board:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • solarsolar Frets: 167
    Keyroh said:
    I treat my Fairfield Barbershop Modele B as a preamp with the signal eventually running into a Neunaber Iconoclast.
    Sounds great and means I can have amp like tone and response through my home stereo or in headphones.
    This is interesting - I’m toying with getting a Barbershop for exactly this. What’s your full signal chain? Any other thoughts on how well it works with a cab sim? Thanks :)

To answer the question.. yes! I use a EAE Model FET as my preamp and currently a Bluguitar Blubox as my cab sim, although I’ve just bought a Cabzeus Mono to try too.
  • solarsolar Frets: 167
    Well, they turned up..

Sounds absolutely killer and so tiny!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    solar said:
    Keyroh said:
    This is interesting - I’m toying with getting a Barbershop for exactly this. What’s your full signal chain? Any other thoughts on how well it works with a cab sim? Thanks :)

To answer the question.. yes! I use a EAE Model FET as my preamp and currently a Bluguitar Blubox as my cab sim, although I’ve just bought a Cabzeus Mono to try too.
    Sorry, only just seen your reply, but I see you went for one anyway! Good choice.
    In terms of drive, I tend to have it set to that edge of breakup tone with a tubescreamer type pedal to boost it to fuzzy territory and give some eq functionality 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    I've been using a Strymon Iridium the last few weeks.  It's very good.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260
    Revival Drive and a Mooer Radar. 
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    Lewy said:

I am interested in the cybery, would you recommend it? any flaws to be aware of?
    althy said:
    Lewy said:

I am interested in the cybery, would you recommend it? any flaws to be aware of?
    I haven’t got any experience of the Cybery I’m afraid (that’s the Patch Kommader you can see on my board). 
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
    Lewy said:

I'm intrigued - do you use this rig for live? Would you just run the cabm into an frfr?
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
    See, I'm thinking of doing this because I want to have a (as much as poss) consistent sound for headphone practice and gigs, in a lightweight package. But am confused about a few things:

1. Can I use any drive pedal as a preamp, or does it have to be a proper preamp pedal?
    2. Running a preamp pedal into a speaker emulator - would I need some kind of power amp emulator, for character or compression etc?
    3. If I wanted to use this rig with a speaker for band session or gig, do I run the cab sim into a frfr, although it's the sim of a mic'd speaker, running through a speaker? Or would it be better to the preamp (or power amp, if using one) pedal into a power amp (sd powerstage for example) and into a normal guitar cab?
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 916
    Don't know how interesting this will be, but I made this short video of my online teaching rig as some students were asking. Shows the Joyo American Sound in action throughout (comparison between on and off is towards the end), the guitar is a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuInwRHXKEI

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    So what I have come to the conslusion of you would need are as follows: 

Drives (if wanted)
    Preamp pedal 
    Modulations
    Cab Sim

So potential options could be: 

Tube screamer into 
    Victory V40 preamp pedal into 
    Delay Pedal into 
    Two Notes Cab M 

The Two notes could out put to a PA/FRFR speaker but you'd need a power amp like a Orange Pedal Baby, SD170, Matrix GT1000/GT800 etc to drive a traditional cab.  
    Lewy said:

I'm intrigued - do you use this rig for live? Would you just run the cabm into an frfr?
    Yes. Live experimentation has been somewhat cut short of late but I’ve done three gigs with it so far going direct from the CAB M. Sounds great.

See, I'm thinking of doing this because I want to have a (as much as poss) consistent sound for headphone practice and gigs, in a lightweight package. But am confused about a few things:

1. Can I use any drive pedal as a preamp, or does it have to be a proper preamp pedal?
    2. Running a preamp pedal into a speaker emulator - would I need some kind of power amp emulator, for character or compression etc?
    3. If I wanted to use this rig with a speaker for band session or gig, do I run the cab sim into a frfr, although it's the sim of a mic'd speaker, running through a speaker? Or would it be better to the preamp (or power amp, if using one) pedal into a power amp (sd powerstage for example) and into a normal guitar cab?
    1. You can, but I have been much happier with the results once using a proper preamp
    2. The CAB M has power amp emulation (including valve selection, Single Ended or Push Pull, pentode or triode etc)
    3. The point of FRFR is that it doesn’t provide the colouration that a guitar speaker does, so it’s not “speaker on speaker” any more than mic’ing an amp into a PA is.
  • I’m planning on using an HX Stomp at the end of my board for this reason. Anyone know if they have analog preamps in them (the Strymon Iridium has a JFET preamp based on an amp preamp I think)