advice: Bass Amp for home recording

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
edited March 2020 in Bass
I'm using a kemper with some bass profiles to do home / demo recording, which is fine, no issues.
I'm considering getting a small bass amp so that it's a "real amp" that I can DI into the recording interface.
Obviously for this function I don't need a huge powerful super high end bass amp, what I'm looking for is something that is reasonably priced (doesn't have to be cheap - obviously better, but doesn't have to be boutique) for some home recording that has a big warm sound, like the old ampeg valve non-distorted 70's sound.

not sure what I need not being a bass player, but want the deep sound rather than the twang bass sound.

What would you recommend to me ? I'm seeing brands like MarkBass, Genzler, 

This looks really good 
https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-heads/valve-bass-amp-heads/markbass-little-mark-tube-bass-head

as does this
https://www.peachguitars.com/amplifiers/bass-amps/markbass-nano-mark-300w-bass-amp-head.htm

advise me please, bass players (probably should have put this in the bass section ?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited March 2020
    darcym said:
    (probably should have put this in the bass section ?)

Done.

You can get a bass DI pedal for not a lot which will fit your needs.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    edited March 2020
    This:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Promethean-P5110-digital-bass-combo-amplifier-250-500w-RARE/223959596615

An amazing little amp. The 'vibe' control gives it a very vintage-type sound, although I found it better to also disconnect the tweeter (which is easy).

Sadly, it's discontinued and the replacement 3110 model is not remotely in the same league, and although it's not terrible I don't think it will do what you want.

These are also surprisingly decent, and I don't normally rate Ashdowns at all...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-CTM-30-All-Valve-Tube-Amp-Head-And-115-Cabinet/114147788660

They also do a 15W version which is very cute and sounds good, but stupidly doesn't have a built-in DI - although you could always use something like a Red Box from the speaker output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    ICBM said:
    This:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Promethean-P5110-digital-bass-combo-amplifier-250-500w-RARE/223959596615

An amazing little amp. The 'vibe' control gives it a very vintage-type sound, although I found it better to also disconnect the tweeter (which is easy).

Sadly, it's discontinued and the replacement 3110 model is not remotely in the same league, and although it's not terrible I don't think it will do what you want.

These are also surprisingly decent, and I don't normally rate Ashdowns at all...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-CTM-30-All-Valve-Tube-Amp-Head-And-115-Cabinet/114147788660

They also do a 15W version which is very cute and sounds good, but stupidly doesn't have a built-in DI - although you could always use something like a Red Box from the speaker output.

your last comment interested me, so you think even on a bass amp that has a reasonable DI you should still put a load box on the amp and record from that ?

I have an OX box that could be interesting for that. 

Reading reviews, really liking the sound and feedback on "Mark Bass" products, they have rave reviews amongst bassists it would seem. 

I'm shocked how wide the bass product market is when you go looking, bass players have some great options available.

as this is for recording, what about something like a nice tube-preamp with DI out ? as I don't need the power amp section
    darcym said:

your last comment interested me, so you think even on a bass amp that has a reasonable DI you should still put a load box on the amp and record from that ?
    About 99% of solid-state amps can be run safely with no load, so you can just DI. Most valve amps can't, unless there is a specific inbuilt 'mute' function which turns the power section off while still allowing a signal from the DI (sometimes this is the standby switch). NB, something like the Red Box is *not* a load, so if you have a valve amp you will need a load as well, to record silently - but a load that will handle a 30W amp will still be far smaller and cheaper than a cabinet.

In this context 'valve' and 'solid state' mean the output section, so something like one of the Mark amps that have a valve or valves in the preamp is still solid-state.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    darcym said:

About 99% of solid-state amps can be run safely with no load, so you can just DI. Most valve amps can't, unless there is a specific inbuilt 'mute' function which turns the power section off while still allowing a signal from the DI (sometimes this is the standby switch). NB, something like the Red Box is *not* a load, so if you have a valve amp you will need a load as well, to record silently - but a load that will handle a 30W amp will still be far smaller and cheaper than a cabinet.

In this context 'valve' and 'solid state' mean the output section, so something like one of the Mark amps that have a valve or valves in the preamp is still solid-state.

you're blowing my mind, from reading the markamp stuff, it read like the tube was the pre-and the power was solidstate.

darcym said:

you're blowing my mind, from reading the markamp stuff, it read like the tube was the pre-and the power was solidstate.
    Yes, exactly.

ICBM said:
    darcym said:

Yes, exactly.

phew, thought I'd missunderstood then for a second.

so I'm wondering if a good valve premp, with DI out and an EQ pedal in front of it with the bass would be enough to make a good bass recording setup ?
    darcym said:

so I'm wondering if a good valve premp, with DI out and an EQ pedal in front of it with the bass would be enough to make a good bass recording setup ?
    Yes. Most valve bass amp sounds (apart from Lemmy) don't rely on overdriving the power amp - in fact (*unless* you play like Lemmy...) it generally sounds rubbish, so you can get very similar results just from a preamp.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23918
    ICBM said:
    darcym said:

Yes. Most valve bass amp sounds (apart from Lemmy) don't rely on overdriving the power amp - in fact (*unless* you play like Lemmy...) it generally sounds rubbish, so you can get very similar results just from a preamp.
    Agreed.
    It's also why valve power sections on bass amps are massively over-rated and almost pointless.

The solitary exception being the B15.
    so a lovely valve pre-amp with a DI would be good, and EQ pedal to shape input would be optimal.

Any suggestions ?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    You already have a Kemper so have access to profiles of the best bass amps and the best DI boxes in the world.

Buying something else won't get you better than that. Even if you bought a very expensive DI box, it'll just get you what the Kemper can already give you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    You already have a Kemper so have access to profiles of the best bass amps and the best DI boxes in the world.

Buying something else won't get you better than that. Even if you bought a very expensive DI box, it'll just get you what the Kemper can already give you.

you'd think that, the bass profiles (along with a fair few guitar profiles) just don't cut it for me, despite all the tools on the kemper you actually can't change the base sound that was profiled, I've got some quality amp profiles from bass amps but it's like playing a recording of the guy who profiled them's sounds and EQ settings.

I was looking for a way to try to get more control over the sound. 

You are right though, the kemper should offer me the best options.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited April 2020
    Then look at a quality valve pre like a used Ampeg SVT-DI or 

REDDI

https://sxpro.co.uk/a-designs-reddi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333520166140
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Then look at a quality valve pre like a used Ampeg SVT-DI or 

REDDI

https://sxpro.co.uk/a-designs-reddi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333520166140
    lovely suggestion, never even heard of these
  • mattblairmattblair Frets: 75
    ICBM said:
    I'm selling this and can attest to how great it sounds! I'll even do a good deal if you contact me on here ;) 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    darcym said:
    thegummy said:

you'd think that, the bass profiles (along with a fair few guitar profiles) just don't cut it for me, despite all the tools on the kemper you actually can't change the base sound that was profiled, I've got some quality amp profiles from bass amps but it's like playing a recording of the guy who profiled them's sounds and EQ settings.

I was looking for a way to try to get more control over the sound. 

You are right though, the kemper should offer me the best options.

Along with some of the highest level engineers in the world, I get the best results using plugins on a clean DI.

Amplitube is particularly great - it's not like a Kemper profile where it's a snapshot, the controls are just as interactive as they are on the actual amps that are modelled.

The Reddi box mentioned gets a lot of praise online, it just seems crazy to me to spend so much on a DI box to try and colour the sound when there are clean ones built in to just about every audio interface and the Amplitube Ampeg plugin is a fraction of the price, has far more variety (if you think Kemper profiles are limited, the Reddi has a volume knob and nothing else) and is used extensively on records at the highest level.