D&M drive problem

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
Ive got a D&M drive and the “Mick” side pops when you turn it on/off, I’m not the first owner so no chance of warrantee. I know this can be a common fault with some pedals but is it an easy fix?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Tell them on YouTube and I bet they repair it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    I’ve had this on other pedals before. I was told it’s a static build up. Click the switch a bunch of times and it should be fine. 

Disclaimer : This information could be utter bollocks due to me being an idiot but it might be true. But could be bollocks. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    try a small amount of DeOxit or other switch cleaner .. again not a guaranteed fix but might help ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    There’s a Steve Morse rig rundown when one of his pedals does an almighty pop ‘ that’s the sound of true bypass’ says Steve :scream: 

http://www.muzique.com/lab/pop.htm

That article is pretty comprehensive. Although it is probably what @rossyamaha says or the voltage issue ( a sudden change in voltage heard through the audio in which case you probably need a better power supply). 
    It can also be simply where you position the pedal, if you have your pedals in front of the cab it can be microphonic and moving the pedal out of the way will fix it. 
    Keeley are very active on social media so if no joy maybe try their Facebook page. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Ive got a D&M drive and the “Mick” side pops when you turn it on/off, I’m not the first owner so no chance of warrantee. I know this can be a common fault with some pedals but is it an easy fix?

If you don't manage to get anywhere with messaging TPS or Keeley - hit me up as the original owner and i'll see if I get anywhere.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    @Gulliver i will do, thanks.

A little update.. If I flick the toggle to Drive into Boost it only does it on the drive side but if I swap it Boost into Drive then both switches pop.

A little update.. If I flick the toggle to Drive into Boost it only does it on the drive side but if I swap it Boost into Drive then both switches pop.
    To be honest - I didn't play it enough to notice any issues!
    I think its come on recently, didn’t notice it at first. Unless it’s since moving from digital to a valve amp?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263

One of the techie types should be along to explain more but if it doesn't consistently pop on the same switch it suggests it's not a switch issue.

There is a thing with true bypass pedals where a dc leak from the amp input (can be a dodgy valve I think) can cause the mechanical TB switch to pop as it 'charges up' the static charge (? a techy can explain better) in the switch due to the leak.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    There's no reason why a TB switch should pop. All you need is a pulldown resistor (usually 10K-100K) from the board output to ground and it prevents any charge from building up. Sometimes a 1M-2M resistor between board input (or input jack signal) and ground is needed (say, in a TB looper) , but I don't think I've ever built a TB pedal where the pop couldn't be fixed.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Further update...

Took it off the board power supply and used a single 9v switching adapter, still does it. Also plugged it into my Katana to see if it was the valve amp and still does it.

Think I’ll message Mr Keeley and Co.
    Have spoken to the good people at Keeley and they have said to return it and they will repair foc (plus postage) so hopefully it'll be back soon, I'm surprised as i came clean about being the 2nd owner but they said as it's less than a year old they'll help me out. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have spoken to the good people at Keeley and they have said to return it and they will repair foc (plus postage) so hopefully it'll be back soon, I'm surprised as i came clean about being the 2nd owner but they said as it's less than a year old they'll help me out. 

Glad they're helping out!