Help making speaker cable!

Yes I am fully aware how thick this makes me sound but  speaker cables aren't something I've ever made. 

Soo, I have some speaker cable, I have some jack plugs and I have a soldering iron. Is there a rule as to which cable goes to which terminal? 

To complicate things further, I also need to make a jack to speakon. I've googled and can't find anything that makes sense to me because, as previously discussed, I'm thick. 

Heeelllp!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Jack to jack, it doesn't matter as long as you do the same at both ends. It's conventional to connect the 'positive' - red, 'redder end of the spectrum' colour (eg yellow), or marked in some way - wire to the tip, and the 'negative' - plain, black or 'blue end of the spectrum' colour - to the sleeve, but it really makes no difference.

Jack to speakon, connect the tip at the jack end to the 1+ terminal of the speakon, and the sleeve of the jack to the 1-.

(Very occasionally you might want to deliberately swap the connections at one end to solve a phasing issue - speakers are somewhere you can simply reverse phase without causing grounding problems - but make sure you mark the special cable or it will make troubleshooting phase problems confusing!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Hot of jack plug goes to pin 1 + of speakon, earth goes to pin 1 - of speakon 

I normally use brown for hot if using mains cable but there are no rules ..long as you maintain the same colours both ends 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Awesome thank you. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.