Laney LC15R 10 inch speaker recommendations

What's Hot
PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
edited March 2020 in Amps
Hiya, I've just bought another LC15r as my old one is in quarantine with my bandmate!

In my old one I've got a Celestion Gold 10 inch, the new one has an HH in it. I'll give it a listen but the HH has a pretty poor reputation around town.

Any recommendations? I can't for the life of me remember what the Gold replaced.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    If you have already been persuaded by the HH's reputation before you even listen to it, then it will not sound good.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I guess in your haste to criticise me you missed the part where I wrote 'Ill give it a listen'. By which I meant that I will listen to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6995
    Jensen P10R, it’s a vast improvement on the HH.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Cols said:
    Jensen P10R, it’s a vast improvement on the HH.
    Was a big improvement on the celestion in my old 68 princeton.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    When I had one I replaced it with a celestion  something or other from a Marshall, if I remember correctly it made sod all difference. 

I would have thought the jenson would be really bright sounding and I remember the lc15 being a very bright amp. I do wonder if something along the lines of a 10 greenback type speaker would tame the brightness and still give a great tone. 
  • ravirajaniravirajani Frets: 42
    tFB Trader
    I recommend the Jensen Mod 10-70. Great 10-inch speaker which works well with low power amps that need some help in the bass department.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I think they suit one of the various Celestions best, even better than the Jensen.

G10 Greenback (if you want more of a classic Marshall-type sound) or G10 Vintage (if you want more of a 'mini V30' modern rock sound and maximum volume), or another Gold. There's also the new G10 Creamback, which I haven't tried. Even the G10N-40 isn't bad - just avoid the Tube 10 and its replacement the Ten 30.

You can give the HH a try, but there is a reason why most people don't think it sounds good. Not that it's always a definitive guide...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I had a G10 Greenback in my VC15 and that was a brilliant little thing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Pabcrane said:
    I guess in your haste to criticise me you missed the part where I wrote 'Ill give it a listen'. By which I meant that I will listen to it.
    No criticism intended, it was just meant as a passing observation  ;)
  • I had a Jensen C10q in mine for a while - in fact I have literally today just put the HH back in, because I've requisitioned the Jensen for another project!

The Jensen is significantly brighter, with a much snappier attack than the HH.  For jangly or finger-picking type playing it's a real improvement; neck pickups in particular seem to love it.  It doesn't seem to be very different in volume to the HH. 

For heavier overdrive, I find the Jensen a bit wearing; I've just been A/Bing between the two and I almost prefer the smoother output of the HH.  Both are nowhere near as nice as a closed back 12" greenback, though I admit that's not a terribly helpful comparison... 
    Okay Kitty frisk.

Who knows, maybe the HH will sound better than the Celestion Gold!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You just might be surprised :)
    As @JamieWakeham has just commented, in my experience, the HH Invader does seem to have a warm smooth output.
    Some like it, some dislike it. Fair enough.
    Good luck with whatever you end up with :+1: 
  • roman_subroman_sub Frets: 18
    I quite like the Jensen Electric Lightning 10 in my LC15 - big improvement on the HH
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    I recommend the Jensen Mod 10-70. Great 10-inch speaker which works well with low power amps that need some help in the bass department.
    Seconded. Lots of time for the MOD speakers here. 

roman_sub said:
    I quite like the Jensen Electric Lightning 10 in my LC15 - big improvement on the HH
    Hey, where did you source that from? I can't find one in the UK and Hot Rox haven't gotten back to me.