NGD - Tele content (and a family photo for good measure)

What's Hot
SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
Sold off a fair amount of old gear and this arrived to scratch my Tele itch.  It's an American Original 60s Thinline Telecaster and first impressions are really positive. It came down to either this or the 60s Tele in Fiesta red, but went with this in surf green and I'm very glad I did.  Really liking the tone, slightly warmer than other Teles I have played: 

And here it is amongst the rest of my electrics (minus a used Charvel I bought on here that's currently in for a bit of fret TLC). 

L-R: 

2008 PRS SC250 bought from here last year from Bluesy Dave (I think!).  Lovely special order one piece maple top.  It's since had a new wiring harness and a set of @OilCityPickups humbucker sized P90s.  IIRC it's a Mighty 90 in the bridge and a Smooth 90 in the neck, but I could be wrong.  One more thing to come is some black pickup rings, which I think will make the pickups pop a bit.  They sound awesome. 

2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard bought after I sold on my 2017 R8.  As much as I wanted to I couldn't get on with the VOS finish. Always wanted a tobacco sunburst LP and this is ace - looking like the QC and pricing has become much better since the Gibson turnaround. Like the pickups, but currently trying to decide whether I want to go coverless and maybe chuck something a little hotter/Slashier in there.  

Fender American Original 60s Thinline Telecaster.    

Fender Custom Shop 1959 Strat NOS Chocolate 3TSB  Came with a mint pickguard, but switched out for the tortoiseshell one and aged white plastics for now. Favourite part of this is the compound 7.25-9.5" fingerboard with clay dots and vintage tall frets.  A dream to play. 

Very happy with the collection at the moment and looking forward to getting the Charvel SoCal back from surgery.  Picked up on here for a good price and it has such a nice neck.  Candy Apple Red at the moment, but considering a refinish, maybe even a slight relic job and maybe some new pickups.  
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9170
    Lovely tele and great collection. There was a lot of online grumbling about the American Originals compared to the American Vintage, but I think they're superb guitars. When this lockdown is finished, I'm itching to try a 70s tele. If they'd have released a 70s deluxe or 70s thinline, I'd have pulled the trigger without bothering to try one first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    What a looker - Nice colour combo with that tortoise guard. Congrats!
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Cheers both.  Yes, I'm a big fan of tort guards at the moment.

@chris78 what was the grumbling about?  I must confess I kind of missed the whole AVRI bit as I was a bit of a latecomer to Fender I was all about the humbuckers in my younger days... :lol: 

Part of the thing that attracted me to the series was the nitro finish.  As far as I know it's the only nitro outside of CS? 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9170
    SteveF said:
    Cheers both.  Yes, I'm a big fan of tort guards at the moment.

@chris78 what was the grumbling about?  I must confess I kind of missed the whole AVRI bit as I was a bit of a latecomer to Fender I was all about the humbuckers in my younger days... :lol: 

Part of the thing that attracted me to the series was the nitro finish.  As far as I know it's the only nitro outside of CS? 
    When the AVs were out, everyone moaned about the flaky nitro finish which literally fell off if you looked at it. Then they moaned about the 7.25 radius and small frets. Fender change to 9.5 radius, 6105 frets and a poly sealer under the nitro and the internet sulks because they aren't authentic enough ;)

FWIW, the only issue I've seen with the AOs are some heftier weights. The AVs were almost universally light.
    chris78 said:
    When the AVs were out, everyone moaned about the flaky nitro finish which literally fell off if you looked at it. Then they moaned about the 7.25 radius and small frets. Fender change to 9.5 radius, 6105 frets and a poly sealer under the nitro and the internet sulks because they aren't authentic enough ;)

FWIW, the only issue I've seen with the AOs are some heftier weights. The AVs were almost universally light.
    Ah I see.  Well this one is certainly light! I think the frets are "vintage tall" (is that 6105?) and I do like the 9.5 radius, so I'm happy :) 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    Sweet Tele
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9450
    Nice collection Steve - you've covered all the bases there with some classics. 

Love the Tele colour scheme :)
    Thanks both. Really enjoying all of them.  I'd say that they're all keepers, but I've been about long enough to know that there's very little that is truly a keeper if something else comes along!  They're certainly all lovely though and I'm satisfied for now, barring a couple of minor mods. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    That looks perfect. There's literally nothing I'd change about that. Love my semi hollow Tele, there's just something that purrs and roars about them 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Looks great. I loke 6105 frets
    What's the neck profile like on this? 
    What's the neck profile like on this? 
    It's advertised as a 'medium C'.  I find it really comfortable.  Not too thin but not a baseball bat either. 
    FWIW, I prefer a neck to be slightly chunky, e.g. 50s over 60s for Gibson.  This sits nicely in the hand and is what I can only unhelpfully describe as 'about right' :lol:
    Thanks @SteveF that sounds dangerously like my sort of territory!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    That’s a peach! Congrats 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga